Zimbabwe Chengdu F7

Please don't stay here if you are looking for something accurate. This is Airfix's venerable Mig 21-F-13 which had the year 1968 on the inside of one of the fuselage halves. Fit was typical of older Airfix kits, it needed some careful alignment, gluing a little at a time to line the fuselage halves up as they were slightly bent. There's plenty of perfect plastic putty on this one.

I had a set of decals for a Zimbabwe Chengdu F7 on an African Migs decal sheet, and the F7 is a derivitive of the Mig 21-F-13 so I went with it. There are some differences, drogue chute fairing at the base of the fin, twin cannons, two pylons under each wing, but this was just for fun; a quick build to use the decals so it is more or less out of the box. The photos of the Zimbabwe F7s showed them with twin fuel tanks so I used the tanks from my KP Mig 21MF which is waiting in the stash.

Paint is mostly Model Colour, which sprays brilliantly when thinned with Vallejo's airbrush thinner. White isn't easy to photograph, but these will give you an idea of the latest addition to the cabinet:

26638327522_c879fd52f7_b.jpg

26127538043_6d7309b28a_b.jpg

26665259931_be1ceecd7f_b.jpg

• Like 17

Excellent.Doing one of these myself,though I got bogged down trying to add chute fairing.Old Airfix kit is a pretty awful old piece of plastic, It's only advantage being that you can hack it to bits and put it back together again without any qualms.Good work.

It still looks very good!

For having seen them flying quite a while back, the fuselage of the real things must have been warped, and the drogue chute fairing sold on the black market for two bottles of Coke.

So well done!!!

JR

Well I did the Grey and white version (711) in 1:72. From memory it was a truly awful kit (I think KP, but I wouldn't like to swear to that) so I feel your pain. I suspect I used decals from the same company.

I think yours is much better.

Looks very nice. Will be attempting one of these in few months myself hopefully, though using the Hasegawa Chengu F7. Do you have any tips for online references? Because I haven't been able to find much unfortunately.

Looks very nice. Will be attempting one of these in few months myself hopefully, though using the Hasegawa Chengu F7. Do you have any tips for online references? Because I haven't been able to find much unfortunately.

Sorry, no real pointers. There were a few photos found by internet search, but not much else. I did find a couple of photos of a nice two tone grey camo scheme but went with the white as I wanted something quick and simple. I wasn't after great accuracy so that was enough for me. Many apologies for not being much help and good luck with the build.

• Like 1

Sorry, no real pointers. There were a few photos found by internet search, but not much else. I did find a couple of photos of a nice two tone grey camo scheme but went with the white as I wanted something quick and simple. I wasn't after great accuracy so that was enough for me. Many apologies for not being much help and good luck with the build.

No need to appologise, I have 'African Migs Vol 2' in the mail, so hopefully that will help. The decal sheet I have shows that two tone camo, but no colour call-outs, so will have to hunt around to see if I can come up with what to get at the model shop.