Raspberry Ripple Scout

Here's my take on one of my childhood favourites, the Airfix 1/72 Westland Scout.

I've added to it an Airwaves vac-formed canopy and also one of their PE frets (which mainly provides seats etc for the cabin). I've also provided some extra detailing to the engine area using bits and pieces.

The model depicts the ex. ETPS Scout XP849 in it's later civil guise, G-CBUH. When I saw the Raspberry Ripple scheme it was love at first sight, although I've had to accept a few compromises to accuracy (most notably the lack of large rear cabin doors), in order to model it using the Airfix/Airwaves combo. I hope this doesn't detract too much!

The model was built under the auspices of the Helicopter III Group Build and the build thread is here, if you fancy having a look.

P1090642_zpsg41fa4ay.jpg

P1090638_zpsni8y9cwx.jpg

P1090644_zpswld9qkr4.jpg

P1090639_zpsvdlhnqmj.jpg

P1090636_zpsxogvwac4.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 50

Lovely build. What a great scheme to finish it in as well.

Andrew

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful job, bravo! Dad built this for me as a kid and I was disappointed in the kit's accuracy but you've done well with it.

This one appearing in the doco Test Pilot first taught me about the Scout, so I grew up loving this scheme on it...imagine my surprise when I found out it moved to NZ a year or two back! How cool! I haven't managed to see it in person yet: http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2011/03/two-new-scouts.html

• Like 1

I flew in this in 85 at BD doing engine off glides, the first one I S**t myself but I knew we weren't going to die I loved the other drops!,,,

• Like 2

Further thanks for all your great comments and 'likes' guys. They are much appreciated.

It's particularly nice to learn that some of you have a personal connection to the aircraft too :)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

There's a blast from the past. I reckon I built one of those over 40 years ago!

Lovely job,

Matt

• Like 1