T-55 STGB Chat

Shermaniac

19 hours ago, Antoine said:

Well, at least that's my opinion.

What do you think?

I need to ask some people, more knowledgeable than myself on this matter. I don't know if the T-62 is a progression of the T-54/5 or if it was a new design.

John.

@Bullbasket ... According to Wikipedia The T-62 was a development of the T-55. The soviets realized the 100mm in the 55 was understrength when compared to the british and american tanks. They originally up gunned the T-55 but the turret was to small so further development created a sub variant known as the T-62. Looks to me like its in the T-55 family tree. 

Just throwing my two cents in sorry if i overstepped.  

Ok the list now looks like this then. I have added Robert and taken the tentative off of Bullbasket

1)   Shermaniac (Host)

2)   Smuts (co-Host)

3)   AaCee26

4)   vppelt68

5)   corsairfoxfouruncle

6)   Antoine

7)   Ozzy

8)   Modeling Minion

9)   Arniec

10) Bull Basket 

11) Plasto

12) sgt squarehead

13) snapper city

14) plastix

15) Robert Stuart

16) Etienne

Edited by Plasto

Hello gents,

I have not yet built an eastern block tank ... that would be a nice occasion ! Count me in ;)

Don' t know yet what model I'll work on with but I guess I have some time to think about it ...

Cheers, E 

Edited by Etienne

On 14/11/2017 at 9:27 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Seems people arent really interested in modern/coldwar armor

It doesn't seems to be the main reason to me.

Just look at the previous years, there were absolutely no armour STGB.

Suddenly in 2018, there will be at least two, maybe more.

Beside, for exemple, the Patton topic was setup exactly at the rush time for 2018 GB/STGB race was about to begin, and in direct concurrence with Pz.IV & VI, Sherman, etc...

In short, bad (or last minute) timing for something quite new over here.

Also, there are different way to advertise for a GB.

May I point you toward Wez's posts, from the time he was doing so for the Mirage GB?

Those posts are full of pics, ideas, kit boxarts, reviews, you name it.

A true carpet salesman (Pardon me Wez... I know you won't!), he made peoples interested!!

And last year, high in the poll, the Mirage GB became a reality.

Edited by Antoine

I do hope this one gets off the ground, especially as I picked up Takom's Tiran 4 at Telford last weekend.

Antoine is right though. This one needs a bit of boosting. Maybe some photos posted of available kits, and let's face it, there are many great suitable kits out there. I was drooling over the Miniart stand at Telford, at all the beautiful T-54's they have produced. Plus they will be doing the Tiran 4 in December. They also do a nice range of the T-55 as does Tamiya, who also do the Enigma and Tiran 5. Also at Telford, there was an East European company doing some excellent recovery tank conversions, based on the T-55. Unfortunately, the name escapes me.

A lot of my purchases at Telford were based on potential GB's (well three of them were) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they all make it through.

John.

Antoine I can see it both ways  ... I struck while the metal was hot so to speak. Someone else thought the same way because they brought the T55 build back into rotatation. I think i did pretty darn good considering i got 24 signups before it hit a wall. It just seems to me that interest lies mainly in WW2 Armor not coldwar types. Considering that both patton & T55 are losing interest.

To be honest im happy it got to 24. When you consider its only my 2nd attempt at creating a Group build idea. That and I've only been a member since June. I know sooner or later i will get the last sign up i need it just wont be as soon as i had hoped. Also and just like my post said i really hope the T55 gets thru as well. Id like to actually build a Soviet tank. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Antoine Obviously people signed up for the Tank 🤨 ... I never said they joined for me ? Where did you get that from ? Im thinking you misunderstood something i wrote. 

Though that being said you have had a problem with me and the Patton build for a little  while. You had an issue with me advertising it in the Armor Forum. So I am going to come straight out and ask you this.

1. Did i do something to offend you? 

2. Is there something about me you do not like ? 

3. If you have an issue with me. I wish you would please come to me before you openly say stuff on a forum thread. 

4. If you have an issue with the Patton group build or me. I have asked this before before and  i will ask this again. Do you want to step away ? 

5. If you have an issue do we need to ask Enzo or another moderator to step in and mediate whatever it is ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Folks here is the latest list of participants.

1)   Shermaniac (Host)

2)   Smuts (co-Host)

3)   AaCee26

4)   vppelt68

5)   corsairfoxfouruncle

6)   Antoine

7)   Ozzy

8)   Modeling Minion

9)   Arniec

10) Bull Basket 

11) Plasto

12) sgt squarehead

13) snapper city

14) plastix

15) Robert Stuart

16) Etienne

Ok lets not fall out over what is a hobby and the discressionary participation in a GB on an Internet forum.

The problem with Promoting This GB is while I have been collating a list of participants and running some soft promotion the GB is actually Shermaniac’s ‘baby’.

So while it’s possilble to promote the back side off of it with lots of images of kits and real subjects to get people’s creative juices flowing and convince adults to take part I’m a bit loath to do that and risk upsetting / displacing the GB leader neither of which I want to do. 

I have tried contacting Shermaniac to no avail. However stuff happens and GB promotion is not the top priority for most folk.

I would like however to build a T54/55 in like minded company.

So what to do?

• Like 1

Hi Plasto.  Shermaniac and Smuts (the co-host) are both esteemed modellers and longtime members of Britmodeller. However they are both busy chaps and sometimes don't get chance to be on here as much as they would like. Smuts is the OP for the Panzer IV STGB that v-p and I decided to haul into existence - we've put ourselves down as co-hosts to smuts and if he doesn’t require us when the time comes we'll be happy to step away - It's more important that the GB runs. I'm fairly sure they would rather see their ideas for GBs run and be successful than languishing down in the forgotten depths of the GB chat section.

I publicised the Pz.IV STGB in the armour section and in the message feed in my profile section. I didn't get any bad feedback about this and I'm sure the publicity is what got the signups required.

I would suggest that you could put yourself down as co-host and carry out the role until (or not) Shermaniac and Smuts return. If you'd like (and only if it suits you) I can help and be a co-host. I'm not knowledgeable about the T-55 (but prepared to learn) but I can help with the organisation and publicity of the GB and do the cheerleading bit!! If you'd prefer to go it alone that's no problem either.

And I agree - no one should be falling out over gluing bits of plastic together or how organising a mass gluing together of plastic should be organised! I think any publicity for this GB is helpful for ensuring it runs.

That's my twopenneth!

Now co-host or not - let’s get some more signups for this GB!

Kind regards,

Stix

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Antoine Obviously people signed up for the Tank 🤨 ... I never said they joined for me ? Where did you get that from ? Im thinking you misunderstood something i wrote. 

Though that being said you have had a problem with me and the Patton build for a little  while. You had an issue with me advertising it in the Armor Forum. So I am going to come straight out and ask you this.

1. Did i do something to offend you? 

2. Is there something about me you do not like ? 

3. If you have an issue with me. I wish you would please come to me before you openly say stuff on a forum thread. 

4. If you have an issue with the Patton group build or me. I have asked this before before and  i will ask this again. Do you want to step away ? 

5. If you have an issue do we need to ask Enzo or another moderator to step in and mediate whatever it is ? 

Dennis

No issue at all.

You're free to copy/paste the same sentence everyday, over and over again, to adverttise for your GB, even if I can't help thinking that there are better ways to do that.

But what I can't get, is why you do it on TWO different topics... As most people coming to the forum at a given time will hit the "view new content" button, forwarding them all the latest posts, including... both of yours.

Well, otherwise, everything's well,