T-55 STGB Chat

Shermaniac

7 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

The Mini Art ones seem to be the way to go these days and I'd love to have a go when there's no time pressure. I picked the Tamiya up for under £20 so I had to really. 

Andy

Yes that's why I'm building the Tamiya Tiran for this GB too - the MiniArt kits are much more complex. Like you suggest - they will require a lot more time than three months to do them justice. And under £20 for the T-55A is a real bargain! Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi @Plasto @vppelt68 @Shermaniac

Can I please check if this STGB is still on for starting next weekend?

This weekend is currently free - so if the T-55 GB starts next Saturday I'll get all the parts of my Tiran washed today or tomorrow. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I can run it. I owe a lot to fellow Britmodeller Group Builders and that might be a way to do some good, for a change :innocent:

Edit: let's add @Enzo Matrix to the conversation too

Hi V-P. I'm happy to help if Plasto and Shermaniac are not around. We'll see if they drop by in the near future.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The forum will be going up tomorrow.  Can you all please confirm who are the hosts? 

A lot has happened for me in the past 3 years so I'm happy to step aside as host though I may take part in the build.

Also happy for Stix to take over in my place.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The forum will be going up tomorrow.  Can you all please confirm who are the hosts? 

Me and Stix, at least, if Plasto doesn't show up. In which case I'd be happy to be a co-host and I believe Stix too. V-P

• Like 1

Thanks to @Enzo Matrix we are up and running........to the start next weekend! (Saturday 5th October) :thumbsup:

Time to get those T-55 or variants out of the stash......or purchase one! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I'm going after a loose representation of a Finnish early -90's upgrade, the M as in "modernisoitu", modernized. Luckily the Revell braille scale AM2- kit appears to have the correct T-72 style tracks, sideskirts and barrel thermal sleeve. Anyways, I count that splinter scheme also to cover all the detail inaccuracies I leave unattended🤭.

• Like 2

A quick question, not normally being a target builder. I have found a Type69-II by Takom in the loft, is this alright for this GB as having read the instructions I have got a bit confused with the history part of them? I have been told by a target builder at work that it is fine. but if not I will try and find something else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jabba said:

A quick question, not normally being a target builder. I have found a Type69-II by Takom in the loft, is this alright for this GB as having read the instructions I have got a bit confused with the history part of them? I have been told by a target builder at work that it is fine. but if not I will try and find something else.

Hi Jabba. Yes that's perfectly acceptable for this GB. Looking forward to seeing it in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Jabba. Yes that's perfectly acceptable for this GB. Looking forward to seeing it in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks for that. Having bought a book on T-54/55s at the Abingdon show today cleared up my question a bit.

• Like 1

Important announcement regarding eligibility of subjects in this Single Type Group Build, now hear this! This is nominally a T-55 STGB but as can already be seen and read, not just for -55:s. So, on request of a distinquished Britmodeller group builder @modelling minion the co-hosts (being @PlaStix and me) have decided the T-62 is a natural product of T-55 evolution and thus eligible to be built in this STGB. Those objecting this ruling have 2 hours (beginning now) to file a complaint, which will be dealt with in next six months time, standard office practice :coolio:.

Actually the T-62 was so closely related to T-54/55:s that e.g. in Spitfires early Merlin and late Griffin variants probably differed more of each other than these did.

V-P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well now you've made me blush! I've never been referred to as distinguished before, at least not without sarcasm or in referral to my stomach.

As you have been so gracious to allow me to take part I had better go and find my kit and get a thread up and running before too long, I just hope I can do you both justice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I dont think it has been mention anywhere but I presume the Chinese Type 59 & it's variants are eligible for this GB?

Hi Mig Eater. Yes the Type 59 and variants are eligible for this GB! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1