T-55 STGB Chat

Shermaniac

Two different topics ? No sir !

Ive advertised in two locations for one single topic the Patton tank build? I haven't got two topics going ? I don't have any advertising going for anything else ?

I only introduced two group build ideas. The first was an aviation themed group build. Which i have let drift for the moment. I will revive that if/when the Patton GB. gets through. I never once advertised for my aviation group build idea anywhere ... I will repeat that sir. NOT ONCE DID I ADVERTISE ANYWHERE FOR ANYTHING BUT THE PATTON BUILD ! I think you have assumed something and made a mistake ? 

Boys it’s ok. 

Step back for 10 minutes. I think discussion on the subject is ok but...

This thread is about the T-55 STGB.

Ultimately everyone wants to see a GB happen. How you get from A-B is a journey you can take different paths..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

1.Shermaniac has done it.

Does he have wizard powers?

Well, can't help thinking we should restart the registration process, at least just to check that everybody's involved.

And it would be better to continue with all but a ghost host.

Well, never mind.

Let's start from here.

After all, maybe people doesn't know that T-55s were once operated in the Empire?

Well, ex-Empire, that is.

Here's their story:

The Rhodesian T-55 Tanks

Before 1979 the Rhodesian Army had not possessed any tanks. In October of that year they received eight T-55 tanks from South Africa, confiscated from a French ship, the “Astor”, which had been transporting a heavy weapons consignment from Libya for Idi Amin in Uganda. Amin’s regime collapsed on the day that the ship docked in Mombasa and it was redirected to Angola. The ship called in to Durban where the cargo, including ten Polish-built T-55LD tanks (built in 1975), was seized, South Africa at that point considering itself to be at war with Angola. Two of the tanks were kept by the South Africans for evaluation. The remaining eight were transported to Rhodesia, together with SADF advisers for the purpose of training Rhodesian crews. The rumour was spread that the tanks had been captured in Mozambique, in order to obscure South Africa’s part in the deal. The tanks, now part of the Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment - in a newly-formed "E" Squadron - were driven around on tank transporters for several months in order to give the impression that the Rhodesians possessed a large number of heavy tanks. On arrival the T-55s had sported the original Libyan camouflage scheme. Major Winkler ordered them repainted in American camo, which was eminently unsuitable, and finally the South African instructors had them painted in anti-infra-red South African camo, which proved perfect for Rhodesian conditions. The tank crews came from 'D' Sqn RhACR, regular force soldiers who had signed on for a minimum of 3 years. Trained crews were vital if the tanks were to be used to maximum effect and it was necessary to ensure that the crews would remain in the Army for some time. A few of the men had tank experience already, but initially there was a lot of experimenting and reliance on the manuals, until Army HQ arranged for proper training by members of the SADF School of Armour.

Command of 'E' Sqn was given to Captain Kaufeldt, an experienced tanker from West Germany. More recruits from the RLI and Selous Scouts arrived to fill the gaps and acquitted themselves well in their new task.

The Soviet-manufactured radios were removed from the tanks and replaced with the South African radios and headsets used on the Eland 90 AFVs. These used a throat-activated microphone system and were far superior to the Soviet models. In Soviet tanks the radios were operated by the loader, in addition to his task on the main gun. The Rhodesians, reasoning that the loader already had enough to keep him occupied, moved the radios to the tank commander's position. The tank crews were issued with brand-new Soviet AKMS assault rifles and were eager to test them in battle conditions. They were destined to remain unused.

t55camo3.jpg

• Like 1

So that's a perfect occasion.

You just have to have a look at this topic's opening post for the rules sets by the host.

For the timeline, there's none at the moment, as the very first step is to get 25 BMers interested in the project and signing up just here.

Last count show fourteen, so that's eleven to go.

Once we get to 25, the Master of Ceremony will give us a slot.

There are eight STGB slots per year, and 2018 is already booked, so we aim for 2019, but competition is rude.

;)

Welcome Patman

Ok the list now looks like this then. I have added Patman.

1)   Shermaniac (Host)

2)   Smuts (co-Host)

3)   AaCee26

4)   vppelt68

5)   corsairfoxfouruncle

6)   Antoine

7)   Ozzy

8)   Modeling Minion

9)   Arniec

10) Bull Basket 

11) Plasto

12) sgt squarehead

13) snapper city

14) plastix

15) Robert Stuart

16) Etienne

17) Patman

26696370329_813246a969.jpg

Edited by Plasto

6 hours ago, Patman said:

so perhaps I'll give this one a go.  

Antoine,

Sounds like a keen man to me..

Do you want me to run everything by you just to make sure???

38440546662_f3d5866164.jpg

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto

40 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Antoine,

Sounds like a keen man to me..

Do you want me to run everything by you just to make sure???

38440546662_f3d5866164.jpg

Cheers

Plasto

Sure, fill me in.  Bit of a noob, so gotta start somewhere!!  

You've an issue with the T-55.

You just don't like the turret!

No problem, we've a solution for you.

I'm sorry, the story is not exactly crystal clear, as all this happened during the civil war in Bosnia, 1992/1995. Vojska Republika Srpska (VRS, the Bosnian Serb army) did possess a number of M18 Hellcat tank destroyer, among other types. On the other side, Armija Republike Bosne i Hercegovine (ARBiH, at the time the Bosnian Muslim army) had very few armoured vehicles and tanks, and even fewer serviceable. At some time during the war, they captured an M18, and for some reasons, decided to fit the turret onto a T-55 hull!!!

Here's the result (those pics have been copy/pasted so many time that it's no more possible to credit the owner...).

xKfMYiO.jpg

m18td_002.jpg

I’m adding Agent G to the list as he expressed interest in wanting to join on another thread. So we’re up to 18...

1)   Shermaniac (Host)

2)   Smuts (co-Host)

3)   AaCee26

4)   vppelt68

5)   corsairfoxfouruncle

6)   Antoine

7)   Ozzy

8)   Modeling Minion

9)   Arniec

10) Bull Basket 

11) Plasto

12) sgt squarehead

13) snapper city

14) plastix

15) Robert Stuart

16) Etienne

17) Patman

18) Agent G

37757379674_111e9aba8c.jpg

Well I have several T-54/55 based projects in the stash, but I'm waiting for MiniArt to release some more promises before I make a start.  So I guess you can sign me up for 2018.

I'm planning and have started collecting parts for:

Tiran 4 early (D-10 gun [no fume extractor], spider wheels, minimal mods).  Waiting for MiniArt late T4 - hopefully they'll do an early one too, as on the box art background.

Tiran 5sh.  Got Tamiya but waiting for MiniArt to announce one, which should be easy for them with T-55 out and late Tiran 4 incoming.

SLA APC-55, turreted.  Got Samer Kassis conversion, waiting for Miniart Tiran 4 (ideally T5) as a base kit (SK kit has a full turret, and I have a precious pair of Tank large-hub wheels,  but these may not match MiniArt)

SLA APC open-top.  Waiting for wallet to stop sulking about the price of a MiniArt interior detail T-55.

Achzarit.  Meng early.

DA added in.....

1)   Shermaniac (Host)

2)   Smuts (co-Host)

3)   AaCee26

4)   vppelt68

5)   corsairfoxfouruncle

6)   Antoine

7)   Ozzy

8)   Modeling Minion

9)   Arniec

10) Bull Basket 

11) Plasto

12) sgt squarehead

13) snapper city

14) plastix

15) Robert Stuart

16) Etienne

17) Patman

18) Agent G

19) Das Abteilung

38506049691_7e0bf5e80d.jpg

Together with the Esci/Italeri kit, there was also a whole serie of T-54/55 from Skif...

But there's no point to write about it, because Tamiya released its own true T-55.

That was in 2002 I think.

This kit has its flaws, yes, but it was superior in nearly all aspects over Skif's and Italeri's.

In price also...

Here's Terry Ashley's review on PMMS.

And a quick comparison between the three kits.

Here's the boxart.

This one's a latest release (2012?), with the bonus of Aber PE.

t-55a_10.jpg

22 hours ago, Antoine said:

You've an issue with the T-55.

You just don't like the turret!

No problem, we've a solution for you.

It works the other way, too.

If the issue lies with the hull.

It's a Cuban idea, to keep the 100mm gun firepower, with the gain of mobility for use on the small tracks of the hilly countryside.

They matted a T-54 turret, with modifications, to a BTR-60 APC.1196667738_e8aa7a0d53f4.jpg1196667743_806e616b6ade.jpg

At about the same time as Tamiya's release, maybe a bit early, Trumpeter did show a bit of interest for the T-55, but there's no point to discuss about them, appart maybe their cheapness.

Hopefully, Trumpeter will try again soon!

Then there was a void of ten years...

There was one benefit however, in term of aftermarket, as those companies tried hard to fill the void, most of them taking the Tamiya kit as a base to propose us upgrades and conversions.

Panzershop

Blast Models

Legend

You name it...

A few exemples.

If by the way you fancy a Chinese conversion.

legend13.jpg

Or once you've given the turret to a BTR-60, and you don't know what to do with the hull.

cmk_3510.jpg

Not always needed in general with post-WW2 tanks, but a must with T-55, the Friul metal tracks.

friul_10.jpg