T-55 STGB Chat

Shermaniac

Lo guys.

Reading back through this thread, there was a question about types being allowed.

So could I get a answer as to whats allowed, T-55 obviously, T-54 ?, T-62 ??.

Looking at a miniart T-54-2 (mod 1949) with interior, but want to be certain before the cash is handed over

Cheers

Paul

Hi,

Its any variant of the T-54 or T-55. Or foreign Types that use the basic design of the T-54/55 ( Chinese type 69 for example). Or AFV’s that use the T54/55 chassis as a basis.

Which gives a wide selection of types to choose from..

The T-62 (and it’s variants)is out of scope as is the T-44.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Cheers Plasto.

I thought that would be the case.

Miniart kit is now in the stash, awaiting the start.

Just got to workout a way of displaying it to show off the interior detail. Thought about a cutaway, but I think I'll make a stand to support the upper deck/lower turret, then another smaller stand for the turret armour.

That way I could assemble the completed tank at a later date if desired.

Looking forward to my 2nd group build

cheers

Paul

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I have no idea yet what I will build, but count me in. After the Pz IV G, I'm enjoying armour again.

Andy

Sure welcome on board... you have s while to sort out what you may want to build.

cheers

Plasto

10 hours ago, Plasto said:

Sure welcome on board... you have s while to sort out what you may want to build.

cheers

Plasto

Thank you. I can see a Tamiya T-55A and some interesting Star decals in my future. I also have a show to attend on Saturday though so anything could happen.

Andy

Easily led 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I  assume that this STGB is still on? I might be missing something but it doesn't appear in Enzo's calendar for 2019.

John.

On 26/03/2019 at 18:43, Enzo Matrix said:

My Tamiya T-55A arrived today!  :yahoo: 

I'm sure it will happen - not sure how it will affect the Buccaneer mob

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Come on October.

My kit and accessories are starting to build up a layer of dust.

Looking forward to this after the PZ IV / VI group builds.

Might even have enough time to get a good result.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

All change,as the miniart kit will not match, historically, my plan.

So a quick shop and ive got a takom t-55AMV.

So the ideas back on.

I may miss the start, due to work. But will definatly be there.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by diases

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening. Thought I'd give this STGB a bump as it’s not long until the kickoff!

I have recently decided on what I'm going to build. I was thinking of having a go at one of the MiniArt or Takom kits but, on checking in the boxes and seeing how crammed full of plastic they are, I figured there's no way I was ever going to get one of them finished in just three months knowing the way I work! So I have opted for a (hopefully) straightforward, fun build of Tamiya's Tiran 5 which I bought a while back:

48723074701_5f7072fed4_b.jpg

I have read the reviews and, apparently, as with most kits it’s not perfect but I'm looking for a fun build so I'm not going to let it bother me too much. I did decide to get some individual track links to replace the vinyl tracks Tamiya provide:

48722740403_8f9c258163_b.jpg

I also decided on a small PE set from Eduard for the grills:

48723074461_977c89db0d_b.jpg

Really looking forward to getting started on this!

Anyone else decided on what you are going to build? We could keep the momentum going for this GB with photos of your chosen kits and what you intend to do with them.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Because I'm a spaz and haven't got anywhere near enough started models... is the AT-T artillery tractor eligible here? I've got my eye on a BAT-M engineer vehicle conversion set.

According to Wikipedia, the AT-T is a conversion from the T-54, so I'm hoping that it's all ticketty-boo.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, PlaStix said:

Anyone else decided on what you are going to build? We could keep the momentum going for this GB with photos of your chosen kits and what you intend to do with them.

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm making a rare foray into 1/35 with Tamiya's T-55A and a set of Star decals for an Ethiopian operated tank.

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2019 at 19:40, PlaStix said:

I also decided on a small PE set from Eduard for the grills:

'Morning Stix. Just seen your post this morning and noted the extras that you've got for your Tamiya build. There's one more bit of kit that you might want to get hold of. Most (if not all) of these were fitted with a deep wading frame around the engine intake grills. It's available as an etched set from Aber.

HTH's.

John.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 03:05, Rob G said:

is the AT-T artillery tractor eligible here? I've got my eye on a BAT-M engineer vehicle conversion set.

According to Wikipedia, the AT-T is a conversion from the T-54, so I'm hoping that it's all ticketty-boo.

Hi Rob. Looks a suitable candidate for this GB to me. Perhaps one of the hosts will be along soon to confirm.

On 18/09/2019 at 09:10, Foxbat said:

I'm making a rare foray into 1/35 with Tamiya's T-55A and a set of Star decals for an Ethiopian operated tank.

Andy

Hi Andy. Looking forward to seeing your Tamiya kit in action. I was tempted by one of these kits at a show recently but ended up getting one of MiniArts T-54s instead as it was massively reduced. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Stix. Just seen your post this morning and noted the extras that you've got for your Tamiya build. There's one more bit of kit that you might want to get hold of. Most (if not all) of these were fitted with a deep wading frame around the engine intake grills. It's available as an etched set from Aber.

HTH's.

John.

Hi John. Thank you for the headsup. Will first try and check if it was on the one I'm building and, if it was, see if I feel I want to get involved with more photoetch!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Andy. Looking forward to seeing your Tamiya kit in action. I was tempted by one of these kits at a show recently but ended up getting one of MiniArts T-54s instead as it was massively reduced. :thumbsup:

The Mini Art ones seem to be the way to go these days and I'd love to have a go when there's no time pressure. I picked the Tamiya up for under £20 so I had to really. 

Andy