Tamiya 1:35 Triceratops Eurycephalus - Finished

Hey Guys, thanks for all the great comments and thanks for looking at her! She's very pleased and not at all big headed about it... I promise to get around to thanking you all properly and will let you know what I'm going to build next ( as soon as I decide,,,at present either more dinos or the Skoda Turtle)

Take care, Mrs P.

• Like 2

Do the Skoda. It's a dinosaur, and it also sort of looks like one, albeit with wheels. And guns. And engines and... yeah, OK, it doesn't look like one. It's still a dinosaur though. :D

• Like 1

The one Louis & I were working on has disappeared (I think it may have gone up into the 'Attic of Doom').....He will not be a happy rabbit! :shutup:

Sorry to hear that Sarge, well they did go extinct... Good to see your build in the GPW is going well like Stix says not surprised that your sight is suffering with all those tiny wheels :)

Cheers Mrs.S.....I'll find it if it's up there, my life won't be worth living if I don't. :winkgrin:

TBH the wheels I'm working on at the moment are relatively big.....I may start a genuinely small kit a bit later in the GB, if and only if, the SU-152s are done or very near done and I've cleared some stalled builds. :coolio:

• Like 1

Never did hear a settled on name for your trike.

'Tubby' and 'Trixie' seemed to most often heard.

If nominations were still open I'd like to suggest 'Geraldine' but not seriously. :winkgrin:

:goodjob:

Oh, and sympathies on your burgeoning plastic addiction. :coolio:

• Like 2

Just found this through Wolwe's thread, fantastic build and photos, I love how much relief there is in the skin folds.

Will

Hi Will, sorry to have taken so long to reply, it's been a bit busy! Thanks for looking and for the comments. Stix does take good photos and he's been very patient teaching me the various painting techniques. I was very pleased how the textures came out, that's partly why I wanted to build more Dinos...

Never did hear a settled on name for your trike.

'Tubby' and 'Trixie' seemed to most often heard.

If nominations were still open I'd like to suggest 'Geraldine' but not seriously. :winkgrin:

:goodjob:

Oh, and sympathies on your burgeoning plastic addiction. :coolio:

Hi thanks for looking, I've decided that as she's a Triceratops she should have 3 names...so here goes: "Trixie Topsy McTubby" I'm afraid that Sarah and Geraldine didn't quite suit her, even though they're lovely names... - but there are at least 4 more Dinos in my stash or in production...

• Like 1

Thought i'd post this,might be interesting... https://www.tambapark.co.uk/explore/dino-trail.html

There's also youtube (put in tamba park jersey) footage of them moving...

Cheers Vince, It looks like a great place to visit, I've always wanted to visit Gerald Durrell's wildlife park maybe one day we'll actually get to go...

• Like 1

Excellent Build!

Travels put me way behind on mine but your build is inspiring.

Greg in OK

Hi Greg, I'm sure your build will turn out even better, after all you've got a dremel :jealous: I really, really want one....

Brilliant Mrs P, Brilliant, I too think you should try figure painting, your skills have come on with this build.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks, I did build two Star Trek Deep Space Nine characters about 18 - 20 years ago they were okay, but not fantastic I think they may be in a box somewhere... I want to do more Dinos so I can carry on practising - planes and vehicles are too unforgiving if you're not an excellent painter (especially if you brush paint) I do intend to do the Skoda Turtle sometime soon, but not until I'm more confident.

Cheers Vince, It looks like a great place to visit, I've always wanted to visit Gerald Durrell's wildlife park maybe one day we'll actually get to go...

Someone told me last week that they put one that roared at the airport to advertise it and the poor sniffer dogs went ballistic,running around the terminal and everything lol...

• Like 1

26673825793_0f505530e3_c.jpg
27182902102_a661a2b595_c.jpg
This is my other rock I picked it up on the same beach near Whitby. As I said not very exciting but I like it...

Sorry for being so tardy! Mum visiting, plus the start of the great pack down prior to moving to Dar-es-Salaam, plus life, (grrrr...)

Not very exciting.... Dear, dear.. It is yours and you like it, 'nuf said!

What you have here is a rather nice in-situ collection of the Brachiopod Lingula beani Phillips (1876) which occurs at the same time and location as your rather splendid ammonite.

They have been buried and preserved in the same orientations that they lived and note the area of calcite crystals emerging from under the valve, (shell). This is called a geopetal feature and indicates the 'way up' of the fossils and thus bed, (the rock). As the brachiopod was buried it decomposed and the gasses given off collected as high as they could in the valve, thus creating a void. This void was then filled in with calcite contained within percolating groundwater to create what you have in your collection.

Nice!

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) palaeontologist

• Like 2

Hi Christian,

Thanks for identifying the fossil and your kind comments about Trixie. I did wonder if you'd been mown down by another African maniac driver... Your Mum must be quite adventurous to venture to Africa!

I've just started my Brachiosaurous diorama, I decided to do it before the Chasmosaurus diorama and to postpone building the Skoda Turtle until my painting skills improve enough, (so maybe in a few years!)

You've gotta love Google (which I don't - as it's not really a 'search' engine) when I looked up Lingula beani Phillips (1876) it asked if I meant 'beanie' ... 'nuff said! ! Anyway, nice distraction for a bit...

My pleasure!

I think your painting skills are coming along nicely, plus I am looking forward to seeing that weird armoured car being built!

Interesting thing about the Lingula is that they were one of the first recognizable hard bodied organisms to evolve 560 or so million years ago and most of them, (not beani), have remained essentially the same since.

We took Mum up to the Abedaires National Park, driving from East to West. Then on to Nakuru Game Park and home via Lake Elementita. The driving was its usual deplorable state and we had the usual half a dozen near misses.... africa :boom::raincloud: Mum managed to see four of the big five, (no Lion), plus lots more. I feel sorry for my father as he is going to get an ear bending of humongous proportions.

• Like 1