Tamiya 1:35 Triceratops Eurycephalus - Finished

Cheers, Christian I'm now of the opinion that her teeth come too far forward - well surely there must have been dinos with over bites and other dental problems - there's a limit to AMS !!! Do you think her toes are ok?

Hope your Cambrian mollusc description goes well...

Her toes look just like they have come from a good pedicure session! Just need a coat of varnish and she will be ready for a night on the town!

:hypnotised: Ooer,

Aha, somebody has been googling! So what do you think of my little darling wizard hats with a snorkel? Am presently redescribing all known species, (and two new ones), plus splitting the Genus into two, Yochelcionella and another, yet to be named... and describing fluid flow through the conch, (shell) and snorkel :frantic::fool: I need a rest... :blink:

Crack on!

Christian, examining grains of dust in a country without any Palaeozoic fossils

• Like 1

Hi Christian -hope you had a good rest!!

I think they (Yochelcionella) resemble a 'steam punk' type wizard character from Terry Pratchett's Disc World, the snorkel is amazing. Was it for breathing and propulsion? They seem to pop up all over the world too.

My favourite thing when I go to the sea side is to walk along the beach staring down at the shells, rocks and pebbles.All the photos we have show me intently looking at what's on the ground...I also spend ages going through the larger sized gravel in our garden hunting for bits of flint and fossils, I studied Archaeology among other things. I do enjoy cloud watching too, so I'm not always just looking down!

Would the teeth have been a 'normal' tooth colour by the way?

• Like 1

Re AMS. My esteemed colleagues have it almost right, they neglected to mention the need for an ever increasing (and ever more esoteric and thus expensive) library of reference books, manuals and paint samples. Advanced AMS sufferers often cannot ever finish a build due to that one small fact that isn't able to be settled for certain.

As for dino teeth... I'd be looking at modern reptiles with a similar diet. Good luck with that, I can't think of any exclusively herbivorous modern reptile, with the possible exception of the Galapagos marine iguanas, and even there I'm not certain. Or you could just shrug, paint them a yellowy browny white and be done with it. :D

• Like 2

Think Rob has a good color idea for the teeth but don't forget some ivy or reeds hanging out of the mouth.

Girl's gotta eat, right?

• Like 1

Hi Rob G, good to hear from you! there is very little danger that I will succumb to the extremes of AMS,- too poor and too practical... Also Mr P wouldn't let me.

Darwin had it in for the poor Marine iguana - I think they have their own peculiar charm and quite interesting teeth. which appear very pearly white too. Think I'll go with slightly greenish tinge.

Hi Philp, glad you've accepted that she's a girl !!! Great idea about the vegetation hanging out of her mouth, Mr P has some stuff that should look good.

Got a bit more done this morning - painted the teeth, decided to do them just plain white, had considered a green wash but felt it wouldn't be noticeable (my AMS is slipping!) I added more wash to emphasise them.

26730094380_de7e0a3e34_c.jpg
26398247234_c99bc63345_c.jpg
26730086680_5cee9b6bc5_c.jpg
Then I glued the head on. Apparently Tamyia kits are generally well made, but the head seems to have a real problem fitting - there are 2 pins, but they don't line up properly so she's going to need quite a lot of filling.

27004004665_6e79092a9d_c.jpg
26909775582_518e8a28b6_c.jpg
26730077010_0234f7d24a_c.jpg
Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 3

Hi Mrs P,

The mouth painting turned out good and the build is shaping up nicely. You shouldn't have problems filling the head joins by now, looking at the quality of the other fillings in the kit :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Dadgaddad, Thanks for commenting - she is beginning to look a bit better now she's got her head on and her teeth in... I think I'll officially christen her when/if she's finally finished. Cheers, Mrs P.

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, Thanks, I'm attempting to stay rational about her, I am still not entirely happy with her mouth, but I console myself with the theory that she's not as young as she was and that her teeth have worn down unevenly over the years... (Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!)

I'm definitely in agreement that filling and filing is not really my favourite activity, but it is a necessity and practice makes for progress!

• Like 1

I've just been watching a David Attenbourgh programme "Lost worlds, vanished lives" and he's just said that Triceratops used it's beak to shear off branches and it's molars to ground down the plant material...

Hi giemme. Cheers, you'd look fierce if someone referred to you as 'Tubby' you cruel (but honest) person! I'm thinking about her colour scheme, and have been doing some more research but am still undecided... :hmmm:

• Like 1

Hi Dadgaddad, Thanks for commenting - she is beginning to look a bit better now she's got her head on and her teeth in... I think I'll officially christen her when/if she's finally finished. Cheers, Mrs P.

We all look better with our teeth in! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi giemme. Cheers, you'd look fierce if someone referred to you as 'Tubby' you cruel (but honest) person! I'm thinking about her colour scheme, and have been doing some more research but am still undecided... :hmmm:

She is prey, not predator, so her colours would camouflage her to her environment. Belief is that the land might have been covered in giant tropical type plants. Therefore I'd go with a dark purple and green heavy mottle.

Once done you need to put a flower on a stalk hanging from her mouth, ala Ermintrude from The Magic Roundabout

http://myshetland.co.uk/drama/magic-roundabout-ermintrude/

:fool:

• Like 1

Hi Black Knight, Good point, she wouldn't want to look too conspicuous -which rules out lilac or pink...Purple shades are a possibility, but not Barney like.

I've decided she's definitely going to be having a chew at some vegetation, but don't know exactly what variety of plant she would eat (more research for tomorrow...)

Loved the picture, reminded me of my youth - though I seem to remember the show in black and white (not that my parents were mean...)

Hi philp, Thanks for the link, there seem to be a whole range of colourings, so I think as you say, a combination of several may be called for, subtle so as to make her safe from predation, but interesting enough to stop her from being too bland.

Hi Christian -hope you had a good rest!!

I think they (Yochelcionella) resemble a 'steam punk' type wizard character from Terry Pratchett's Disc World, the snorkel is amazing. Was it for breathing and propulsion? They seem to pop up all over the world too.

My favourite thing when I go to the sea side is to walk along the beach staring down at the shells, rocks and pebbles.All the photos we have show me intently looking at what's on the ground...I also spend ages going through the larger sized gravel in our garden hunting for bits of flint and fossils, I studied Archaeology among other things. I do enjoy cloud watching too, so I'm not always just looking down!

Would the teeth have been a 'normal' tooth colour by the way?

Sounds a bit like me! My parents always used to joke about me walking off the end of a cliff, or was that into a cliff! :hmmm:

The snorkel has long been a source of debate as to its function; inhalant/exhalent, but unfortunately not propulsion. Part of my next paper will show the evidence for and against each of six, (!), theories and using a detailed study of fluid flow illustrates how it can only be used in an exhalent manner. This has already upset a number of big names in Cambrian palaeontology as it does not fit in with their personal ideas on function. To be scientific, yah, boo, sucks to them! :bleh:

She is coming along nicely! I fully support the Ermintrude flower in the mouth look. As to how to paint her, have you googled pictures of modern reptiles and amphibians? By using Sutton's Law of Uniformitarianism, (the present is the key to the past, or, if it happens today, it is likely to have happened long ago), You could base your paint scheme on whatever you find. 20 years ago I did a Lizardmen army with each regiment painted to follow a particular species of Poison Arrow Frog. It looked psychedelic.. :hypnotised:. you might find some 'interesting' schemes. :wicked:

But whatever, have fun!

Christian, exiled to the armpit of the globe

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

I started by filling the area around the neck join and then gave her a good sanding:

26956593221_2778a536be_c.jpg

The area around her jaws also needed a little bit of work

26956587461_ddfbfdeac7_c.jpg

26751067380_8ab2aa7d99_c.jpg

I then decided she could do with a base coat or primer and looked at several potential colours - I wanted something pale enough to show up her imperfections and also allow for any extra work needed afterwards. these are some of the possible paints that I considered:

26419352334_35debf315f_c.jpg

With Mr Ps advice I went with Revell's 'Beige' - which strangely is almost the shade of my own make up primer... The consistency of the paint seemed odd at first (especially after that awful Airfix stuff that I had to use on 'Mary Rose') but it went on quite nicely eventually.

26421293003_e8a9e5a4ca_c.jpg

26991420736_2ab2ce3ff4_c.jpg

26421282553_6f7473f651_c.jpg

26956644861_49865bdbf5_c.jpg

As Jaime pointed out the primer does show up a multitude of 'dodgy' areas - which I will need to work on next weekend (duties permitting!)

I do think she's looking happier now though with a bit of paint on... I'll spend this week refining my ideas for her colour scheme.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 3

Looks very good with primer on! :goodjob: And from the front view, she looks fiercer than ever! :boxing: You didn't mention her about me calling her Tubby, did you? :winkgrin:

Ciao