What size ball bearings for paint mixing?

Jimbob_1978

Nuts!

Not you, but it's worth thinking about nuts rather than ball bearings especially for vallejo type bottles, although you're not talking about them :) . And go for Marine grade stainless steel otherwise they may rust in water based acrylics.

M3 or M4 nuts may fit in a 10ml bottle.

Neil

I'm thinking of popping some ball bearings into my paint pots, 10ml screw top acrylics, to aid in mixing them and was wondering what size to go for.

Depending upon the size of the neck, I wouldn't bother with BB in screw tops if you can fit a Badger or Trumpeter (battery) electric paint stirrer into the neck of the jar. 10mm Tamiya you can.

Vallejo 17ml droppers I use a BB in each, but although I've tried it, generally not in either 23ml and 10ml Tamiya jars or 23ml Lifecolor plastic jars. The Badger mixer fits in them, does a better job without getting paint pooled all over the inside of the lid immediately after shaking BB or not, and electronic stirring is quicker and easier. Tamiya paint stirrers work very well too, but hells bells, why bother when they cost as much as an electronic one?

If you want to try BB however, I'd recommend 7mm.

I currently use 6mm because I bought a batch of 100. They're fine in Model Air, but in thicker pigment Model Color, it can take a while to get them moving. 7mm seems to be the size AK, MIG & J's Work etc sell and what I'll buy next time after my experience. 6mm do do the job, but the extra weight of 7mm will do it just a bit better in heavier pigmented colours. You'll be surprised with heavily pigmented Model Color colours how much effort it takes before that ball starts to move if the paints have stood unused a while.

I'd love a Robart electronic model paint shaker, but only the battery powered one is available locally and it's priced like rubies over here. In the meantime....

when I first got my airbrush I had quite a few tamiya/humbrol model spray paints and when finished I opened them up and saved the glass balls which I reuse....

I still buy the odd spray can paints which I decant for airbrush spraying so still have few more glass balls to add to my pile.

Both AK & Mig Ammo do bottles of paint mixing bearings for a couple of pounds a bottle. Some of the Mig Ammo paints now have them in as standard. Some bearings will start to rust in paint, make sure you use something that isn't going to spoil the paint.

Paul

lava beads.................Lava stone beads are made from basalt, a type of igneous rock formed during volcanic eruptions...............ball bearings and water don't like each other........go to your local Hobbycraft or local shop that sells beads, but they must be lava beads. Hobby craft have a massive selection for people interested in making bracelets, wristbands, necklaces............all sizes, from 2 mil upto infinity, all my Humbrol, Vallejo, Tamiya, have at least 3-4 dropped in them..........I think that I am using 6 mil at the moment.........You can also try Ebay, the more you buy, the cheaper...........I think I bought 300-400 and I am on my last 50................

give it a try