Fiat F2 1907 Scratch Build ?

As always, excellent craftsmanship!! The wheels  look superb already and will look stunning when finished!:thumbsup:

RE the beads, I wouldn't know where to begin to do them on a mill or lathe. I would have to cut the rings from a suitable thickness aluminium or brass, then file and sand to shape. It may not be the easiest way to do it, but it's all part of the fun of scratchwork!

Cheers, H

What is the O/D (outside diameter) of the beads? I bet you could find a metal tube of suitable dia. somewhere online....all you'd have to do is cut the internal quadrant and slice to thickness. Looking forward to your progress Graham.

Cheers, H

Hi Graham,

Have just gone back and re-read your wip regarding the leaf-springs. I didn't pick up on it until now, but the reason you had breakage/failure is that you quenched in water. Steel contains oils that burn off in the heat-treat process, so in order for your spring to be hard, yet remain springy you need to quench in oil. I know it's a bit late now, but at least you know for future reference.

Cheers, H

Hi H

You are right I did quench in water, but I wanted to see how hard they were before I annealed the springs. The answer was incredibly hard/brittle and in fact the one I tried snapped as I tried to bend it. Once annealed they were ok ie they do now spring but still too stiff for a model car.  From what I have read you can quench in oil or water, water giving a harder result. The trick then is the proper annealing to bring it to the desired result.

Next time I shall try oil.

Thanks Graham

• Like 1

A few more shots of the wheels.

Starting to shape the spokes.

P1000395.jpg

P1000397.jpg

P1000398.jpg

Rear and Front Wheel. The nuts on the rear came with the Pocher kit, the others are 12BA

P1000399.jpg

I now just have to find some suitable material/tube from which to make the beads.

Edited by Engineering Modeller
  • Like 5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. 

This is probably going to be my last post for a short while as I have a couple of other projects that I need to progress. 

In the mean time I have uploaded all the photos to a website that I run. It includes a lot of images that I have collected from the Net of real cars which maybe useful to others building the Fiat. You can see them here

Graham

• Like 2

GREAT ACHIEVEMENT GRAHAM :star:

thank you for the link to the website, beautiful pictures and tutorial

how did you manage the chains ? delivered in the Pocher box ? 

this is 1/12 right ?

cheers

Sam

Hi Sam

The model is based on the Pocher kit at 1/8 scale. I had originally just thought I would try and make just the chassis out of brass but the more I have done the more I think I shall do a scratch build of the whole thing. I am using the Pocher brass parts where possible and the chains are Pocher. They are a bit fiddly to make but not too bad.  

Graham

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found some brass that is a suitable size to make the beads! One bit had a hole in it but by cutting a groove in the face I managed to make the inside dia of the bead.

P1000400.JPG

P1000401.JPG

P1000403.JPG

Parting off a bead

P1000404.JPG

This is the form tool I used for shaping the profile of the bead.

P1000410.JPG

P1000411.JPG

P1000412.JPG

P1000407.JPG

P1000406.JPG

P1000414.jpg

Next job was to make the bead clamps. For this I used some 6mmx0.58mm brass strip and I made a former from guage plate. The gauge plate was hardend by heating to cherry red and plunging into water. 

P1000438.JPG

The former.

P1000442.JPG

Ready to file one end

P1000443.JPG

Then the other end

P1000444.JPG

P1000439.JPG

To bend the clamp I first annealed the brass by heating to dull red and plunging into water this results in a nice soft brass that can be bent. I used the engineering clamp to do the final bend to the shape of the bead.

P1000445.JPG

P1000448.JPG

Fitted with the Pocher rubber.

P1000449.JPG

Just 3 more to do.

• Like 7

Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments!

The lathe is a Colchester Harrison that I bought a good few years ago. The four jaw chuck is the Pratt Burnerd and is really nice, the 3 jaw is a TOS and is also pretty good. The question regarding what is behind, if you are referring to the black stuff its actually a piece of plastic damp proof course. It catches most of the swarf and is then easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner. I first tried this when I was machining some cast iron locomotive wheels and it worked great, cast iron swarf is a real bugger and when mixed with oil forms an abrasive that you want to keep off the lathe.

Today I finished off the clamps for the other three wheels and fitted the tyres.

P1000451.jpg

This is how far I have got, still loads to do but it's taking shape. 

P1000452.jpg

P1000453.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Extraordinary work, really. This is going to be a gem inside any display cabinet. 

- especially MY display cabinet...:devil:

No hyperbole needed; It presents as the real car - period.

Watching your amazing work and imagining your skills, I think I'd rather to stop scratch building anything and learn knitting ...doing that I'll have probably more chances to reach an acceptable level of quality.

My hats off, Graham :yes: