Fiat F2 1907 Scratch Build ?

Hi Folks

Just thought I would post a couple of photos of a scratch build I am attempting of the Pocher Fiat. This is my first attempt at something like this and it seems to be taking rather more time than anticipated! At the moment I am not sure whether to attempt a full scratch build or to use some of the Pocher plastic parts, time will tell.

Chassis

IMG_5674s.jpg

Front axle

IMG_5690s.jpg

Edited by Engineering Modeller
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some more photos of the build including some construction shots.

The chassis has been soft soldered and the engineering clamps act as a heatsink preventing previous soldering melting.

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

The rear axle is machined from a solid. Firstly I chain drilled the brass then machined the channel next removed the outside material with a hacksaw.

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

Preparing the axle for the shaft location.

IMG_5681.jpg

Finished axle

IMG_5732.jpg

• Like 1

Continuing with the build I fabricated the cab having first made a former from wood then bent the brass round the former, annealing along the way.

Again the engineering clamps acting as both heatsinks and clamps.

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

The sump was fabricated from a brass tube cut in half and then soldered to a frame.

IMG_5713.jpg

Sump fluxed and ready for soldering.

IMG_5714.jpg

• Like 2

Great stuff. I like the engineering skills shown and the level of detail that you achieve.

Thanks for sharing this build with us. Keep it coming.

Folks, many thanks for the kind comments I appreciate them.

The solder I use is standard plumbers together with electrical for the smaller pieces. There were a couple of exceptions to this on the front stub axle where I used silver solder first and then plumbers solder on the next component. As silver solder has a much higher melting point I could solder on the next part without fear of melting the previous joint.

I have used a Sievert torch and propane for all the soldering so far, its a fairly small burner a 393802 but a smaller burner would probably be better still. I did try an electrical soldering iron but it was just not powerful enough to heat the components.

The brass thickness for the chassis, seat mounting and cab is 1.6mm. The frame on the cab/dash 2.6mm. These thicknesses seem about right and look ok for the scale of the model.

When bending the brass its important to anneal it first. I did this by heating it to cherry red then cooling by plunging into water. At first I had mixed results until I remembered that its not just getting it to the correct temperature you also have to hold it at that temperature for some time (a minute or so) to allow the metal to change its structure. Once I did this it becomes surprisingly easy to bend with just your fingers. If there are a few bends to make in the component you may have to anneal more than once as the material will work harden as its bent.

IMG_5763.jpg

. IMG_5764.jpg

• Like 1

All good information here, thanks. I'm thinking about making a few pieces out of brass, some time in the future, on a Pocher so, I'm going to watch this closely. I might ask questions that might seem simple so, I'll just apologize now. I'm getting more and more interested in making parts from brass for a number of reasons. One, is to get a part more to scale than a plastic kit part and two to actually make parts to change the entire car. Excellent work here and it's an example of how scratch building can be an art!

Next was an attempt at the radiator.

Fiat_gp_de_France_14_.jpg

IMG_6463.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

Start of the soldering 

IMG_6466.JPG

Trial mount (still with wooden former)

IMG_6469.JPG

Mesh for grill

IMG_6471.JPG

Forming the mesh for the grill

IMG_6472.JPG

I used some thin brass shim to make the folds for the radiator

IMG_6474.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_6477.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

The Pocher kit came with a nice brass Fiat badge. I tinned the back with some soft solder and then clamped to the radiator with the engineering clamps acting as heat sinks to stop the whole thing falling apart.

IMG_6482.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

Luckily it worked 

IMG_6484.JPG

• Like 3