SU-27SM 'Flanker-B'

Su-27-1_zpsyyior6w1.jpg

Despite being my favorite modern jet and both being born in 1977 this is only the 2nd flanker kit I've made in 26 years. I have plans to build may more but was drawn to do this two tone bright blue scheme first. Coming off the back of building hurricanes and wildcats you forget how big the damned thing is. This is a fighter that is nearly as long as a Lancaster!

Su-27-2_zpsjogbl3ow.jpg

Su-27-3_zpszlrjll6a.jpg

Su-27-4_zpspsg7be0v.jpg

Su-27-5_zps17lmiiua.jpg

Su-27-6_zpstewjw7vp.jpg

This was the first Zvezda kit I have built though it wont be the last, a beautiful kit to build with only a few breakdown compromises to allow other variants to be tooled. Painted using Mr.Color acrylics with a bit of oil paint weathering.

Any comments or suggestions welcome

• Like 11

Man, that is beautiful -just how I want mine to look! Can you reveal the Mr Color numbers used, please? I'm a huge fan of these paints!

This build shows off the Flanker's 'New Cool Blues' superbly.

Yep, that's blue alright!! Great work

Think the vividness of the blue is down to his camera white balance being off slightly, nice job on the build though ! I've been toying with getting a couple of these.

Think the vividness of the blue is down to his camera white balance being off slightly, nice job on the build though ! I've been toying with getting a couple of these.

Thing is it's not though, the saturation may be a bit high but the white balance is spot on. One advantage of using a mirrrorless camera is I can adjust the white balance until the screen matches exactly what I see in front of me. Check out images of the real plane, it's really very blue!

DSC03848_zpsn3exw14d.jpg

Man, that is beautiful -just how I want mine to look! Can you reveal the Mr Color numbers used, please? I'm a huge fan of these paints!

This build shows off the Flanker's 'New Cool Blues' superbly.

I used H25 and H323, I think there actually called out on the Academy boxing if this kit and are the closest you can get until someone colour matches them.

• Like 1

Thing is it's not though, the saturation may be a bit high but the white balance is spot on. One advantage of using a mirrrorless camera is I can adjust the white balance until the screen matches exactly what I see in front of me. Check out images of the real plane, it's really very blue!

I used H25 and H323, I think there actually called out on the Academy boxing if this kit and are the closest you can get until someone colour matches them.

Many thanks for that, Sir!

I do have a couple of photos (probably Flankerman's! :whistle: ) of Red 04 and Red 06 in bright sunlight, which takes some of the 'edge' off the blues but they are still rather like the Famous Blue Stone of Galveston, if you're a Black Adder (original series) fan..."Very blue indeed!"

DSC03848_zpsn3exw14d.jpg

I'm using calibrated IPS monitors and if the background is supposed to be white then the white balance is off. (still doesn't detract from a good build though)