Made in Britain II (The Sequel) Chat

Shermaniac

17 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Arr that's great thanks. I have the Revell 1:72 kit, I'm sad it doesn't have the folding wings and air brake but I love the aircraft and seeing the one they have at the RAF museum London, makes me think there's loads of scope with weathering.

Michelle,

The Revell kit is ye olde Matchbox kit but still scrubs up well, take a look at CT Modellers recent RFI here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wez said:

Michelle,

The Revell kit is ye olde Matchbox kit but still scrubs up well, take a look at CT Modellers recent RFI here

I had read some threads about it being the rebranded matchbox kit, it's good to hear it has potential tho and even better to see it! I would be mega happy if mine turns out half as good as CT Modellers. I'm thinking of giving it the desert storm paint job instead of the camo tho. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Arr that's great thanks. I have the Revell 1:72 kit, I'm sad it doesn't have the folding wings and air brake but I love the aircraft and seeing the one they have at the RAF museum London, makes me think there's loads of scope with weathering.

thanks Michelle. 

A bit of work with a razor saw and some plastic sheet could cure that ;) 

I'd certainly like to see you do it in the dirty Operation Granby pink scheme. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

A bit of work with a razor saw and some plastic sheet could cure that ;) 

I'd certainly like to see you do it in the dirty Operation Granby pink scheme. 

I am tempted to have a go with my saw.....just not sure my skill level is that high.......yet. I definitely prefer the pink scheme myself, it has a meanness about it.

3 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

I am tempted to have a go with my saw.....just not sure my skill level is that high.......yet. I definitely prefer the pink scheme myself, it has a meanness about it.

May be worth practicing with an old cheap kit first to get a feel for it rather than risk spoilling a project. Same for the weathering. Give your skill levels a boost :) 

Agree with you about the dirty pink looking mean; it certainly has a purposeful air about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, I'm probably going to regret joining another GB!

But I can't resist this one!

20170501_171454_zpsepgxoz4n.jpg

First car I ever drove. My mate had one in his garden and we spent hours driving forwards and backwards about 50 feet! Didn't even have enough room to turn round in it!

It was originally white, but my mate ended up painting it black using locally sourced spray cans. It must have taken dozens of them!

I also seem to remember him adding an artificial side pipe and painted flames up the wheel arches!

What fun!

Rick.

• Like 4

I'm still sticking with this big beauty

DSC_6973.JPG

Although I might have a go at a Scammell Pioneer recovery if I can keep my hands off the IBG kit that arrived over the weekend...

• Like 4

On 5/1/2017 at 5:20 PM, Rick Brown said:

First car I ever drove. My mate had one in his garden and we spent hours driving forwards and backwards about 50 feet! Didn't even have enough room to turn round in it!

It was originally white, but my mate ended up painting it black using locally sourced spray cans. It must have taken dozens of them!

I also seem to remember him adding an artificial side pipe and painted flames up the wheel arches!

What fun!

Rick.

My Brother had one of these.  I remember driving back with him from an International Air Tattoo at Greenham Common - in 1976 I think, and breaking down on the M4 because of a leaking radiator.  We limped back to Kent eventually by driving a bit waiting for the engine to cool down and then driving a bit more - he sold it soon after......

Dave.

• Like 2

Can't believe it was August when I signed up for this one and now just a couple of weeks to go!

Think I'll be going down the airliner route again but which one (or maybe two?): RAF Britannia, Super VC-10 (Negus or BOAC), Trident 3 (BEA) or even the BAC 1-11 (Landor)??

• Like 1

Sorry to be predictable especially to those who get sick to death of Spitfire's but you can't get much more British so it's going to be a Spitfire,

Revell's new 1/32 Mk ix to be exact.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Will be interested to see how it compares to the Tamiya version...

Well it's based on the 2012 Mk 2 which generally got good reviews apart from one or two issues,one being the wheel hub's which are different

on this kit as you would expect so that's that  taken care of,for me the price(£26 at my LMS) for what's in the box seals it

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, Rick Brown said:

What fun!

Rick.

Great choice Rick, it makes up really well. Here's what I did with the same kit that I made for a friend and former owner last year. Good luck with your build, I look forward to following this one.

DSC01536_zpshx2iap2p.jpg

DSC01531_zpsncilzill.jpg

DSC01534_zps0dtpfvhs.jpg

• Like 4

On 02/12/2016 at 4:41 PM, Arniec said:

I am thinking of doing the 1/48 Airfix Javelin. I have done a few things on it, but far below the 25% rule.

Cheers,

This was my build for last years "Made in GB" GB. It's very nice kit indeed. Here is a link.

Not quite sure what I'll do this time round, plenty in the stash to choose from though.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great choice Rick, it makes up really well. Here's what I did with the same kit that I made for a friend and former owner last year. Good luck with your build, I look forward to following this one.

DSC01536_zpshx2iap2p.jpg

DSC01531_zpsncilzill.jpg

DSC01534_zps0dtpfvhs.jpg

Mine won't look as well as yours!

Mine will be done as I remember my mates. 

Hand painted with side pipe and flames up the arches! 

Rick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Mine won't look as well as yours!

Mine will be done as I remember my mates. 

Hand painted with side pipe and flames up the arches! 

Rick.

That's exactly as it should be Rick, a rat rod Herald will look great.

Most strange; I've just scanned thru all the pages. I thought I'd put my name in for this but I seem not to have done it

So, I'll either sit this one out and sulk or

Join in.

If I join in, do I do something unusual or something straight forward?

Something easy; a Spitfire or Hurricane or Tempest......

or a Jaguar

or something a bit more unusual?

• Like 1

How British does it have to be? I'd like to be in with the Airfix Mini-Cooper S, but can see the argument that it's a BMW and so German really? So, can I or can't I?

Many thanks

Michael

• Like 2

Some of you may remember that in MiB I, I made a model of City of Truro and that at the same time I had purchased Dapol's Evening Star kit, my intention being that I would try and make that too.

Whilst I have since made a start on the kit it has been languishing on the shelf for a good few months now. The work done was the assembly of the boiler halves and the lower frame and I wondered whether this would be deemed as less than 25% complete, therefore allowing me to add it as my second entry for this GB.

I would carry out similar detail work to that done on City of Truro, so there would still be plenty to do. I have included a couple of shots of things as they stand.

Kit parts.

DSC01998_zps4o85uzgj.jpg

Boiler and Lower Frame assembled.

DSC01999_zps3bfwjswj.jpg

I hope that this will be acceptable, but if not I fully understand.

• Like 2

For some odd reason I thought it was starting the weekend after, wouldn't have started a pair of models had I known this was a few days away. They may yet to be at the 25% stage (1/72 sptifire and hurricane, internals glued into one fuselage and wing halfs togethor) so perhaps I can hold off and make them my first entries, though I have a lancaster ready to go as well. Looking forwards to this, have had sucky 2 weeks of modelling seems the perfect tonic to it. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

How British does it have to be? I'd like to be in with the Airfix Mini-Cooper S, but can see the argument that it's a BMW and so German really? So, can I or can't I?

Although the company is owned by BMW, I believe that Minis are made in Oxford.

• Like 1

I pulled a few likely subjects from my stash today.

I want to use the opportunity to practice blue-tak masking.

All 72nd, but a Novo Car-door Typhoon.

New Airfix Typhoon, Heller Tempest, and Airfix Whirlwind fighter.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 7:50 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Although the company is owned by BMW, I believe that Minis are made in Oxford.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind man, thank you. I'm in and have ordered one from a shop in the midlands (it was as near to Oxford as I could get). This will jump-start me into a project I've long had in mind, but I don't know how I'll fit it in with the other projects, mind I expect we're all like that!

• Like 1