Made in Britain II (The Sequel) Chat

Shermaniac

6 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Been thinking long and hard about this GB, 75% stash probably qualifies.

Finally decided, I am going with Italeri's 1/24 Transit.

Now that is an excellent subject to pick! :speak_cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Hosts,

I'm thinking about switching my entry from a Bentley Blower to an F1 car but need some guidance. Does the subject need to be 'totally' British  e.g Lotus 25, or could it be a McLaren type vehicle i.e. British car with foreign engine?

I have to go shopping if I switch hence don't want to spend on the wrong thing

Cheers

Nigel

22 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Hosts,

I'm thinking about switching my entry from a Bentley Blower to an F1 car but need some guidance. Does the subject need to be 'totally' British  e.g Lotus 25, or could it be a McLaren type vehicle i.e. British car with foreign engine?

I have to go shopping if I switch hence don't want to spend on the wrong thing

Cheers

Nigel

Hmm that's an interesting question. I've been considering a couple of counter arguments but have to say I'm not entirely comfortable with allowing a subject into the GB with such a major component as the engine coming from another source. If, however, anyone can give me good reason to be persuaded otherwise I'll happily listen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hmm that's an interesting question. I've been considering a couple of counter arguments but have to say I'm not entirely comfortable with allowing a subject into the GB with such a major component as the engine coming from another source. If, however, anyone can give me good reason to be persuaded otherwise I'll happily listen.

Would you allow a DH.9A powered by an Liberty engine or a Spitfire 16 with a Packard Merlin, what about that most British of 70's muscle cars the Jenson Interceptor powered by a Chrysler engine?  All of these are powered by American engines but are quintessentially British.

• Like 2

I guess it's a bit of a minefield!!

I was walking past a charity shop today and in the window was an Airfix Jaguar GT3 for £3 so I might enter that.Still really tempted by a Lotus 25 or McLaren F1 though :hmmm: 

Also picked up a 1:35 BMP-2 for £4 but pretty sure that's not for this GB :whistle: 

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Would you allow a DH.9A powered by an Liberty engine or a Spitfire 16 with a Packard Merlin, what about that most British of 70's muscle cars the Jenson Interceptor powered by a Chrysler engine?  All of these are powered by American engines but are quintessentially British.

The Spitfire 16 is a particularly good starting point Wez. A very 'British' subject with an engine designed in Britain but manufactured in the United States. That's clearly covered under the "designed and/or built in Britain" requirement. The DH.9A and Jensen Interceptor are, however, the next step along the path I'm trying to navigate at the moment; still Made in Britain but powered by an engine from another country and the engine is very much the heart of a machine.

So last night I sat for a while at the modelling bench and did nothing other than think, which was not my intention since it's been a while since i've had free time to work on any of my own projects :( anyway enough of my moaning, here's a short version of where those thoughts went: 

At first I held on to the notion that the engine was very much the heart of a machine and I wasn't comfortable with allowing a subject in with that.

Then I came up with another example. Range Rover. Another typically 'British' icon and with an American designed engine. At that point it became more difficult to argue against this. Wez' Spitfire 16 didn't cross my mind at that point but instead I then started to consider other arguments, what about if a car has Bosch electrical components, a bike with Brembo brakes, how far down the component parts list do I go before making the cut-off point? Other thoughts came to me including a 303 Sqn. Spitfire and its Polish pilot, he wasn't Made in Britain but is an essential part of that subject, or if someone chose to model some SAS figures, not every member of the SAS was Made in Britain but such figures are still seen as a quintessentially British subject.

Therefore, with all these things considered and going back to the origonal philosophy of the GB, I'm now willing to allow Nigel's Maclaren F1 car in.

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I guess it's a bit of a minefield!!

I was walking past a charity shop today and in the window was an Airfix Jaguar GT3 for £3 so I might enter that.Still really tempted by a Lotus 25 or McLaren F1 though :hmmm: 

Also picked up a 1:35 BMP-2 for £4 but pretty sure that's not for this GB :whistle: 

It certainly is :lol: 

Nice finds in the charity shop. Just a pity we're now on the 70's edition of NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe as the BMP-2 would have been fine for the 80's GB ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well Col, you tiptoed through that minefield quite deftly!

Thank you Wez. I was once told there's two ways through a minefield; carefully, gently, and with great consideration or by throwing bloody great rocks at it. Let's just hope I've not left anything uncovered that's going to explode in my face later :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Therefore, with all these things considered and going back to the origonal philosophy of the GB, I'm now willing to allow Nigel's Maclaren F1 car in.

You are a Gent, Col. Thank you :like: 

I have a few options now - Might even build a couple of them :D

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Think I might join in with a 1/72 Lancaster.

Nice!!

My Uncle flew them in WWII. Always felt like I should build one in memory of him.

Will be watching with interest :) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nice!!

My Uncle flew them in WWII. Always felt like I should build one in memory of him.

Will be watching with interest :) 

Cheers. Just don't know to go with the Dambusters boxing or the standard bomber.

On 15/04/2017 at 10:14 PM, DaveJL said:

Think I might join in with a 1/72 Lancaster.

Nice idea and certainly one of the most famous British aircraft in history.

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Do the Dam Buster version; an iconic British aircraft carrying a unique British invention

That's a good point although the standard Lanc is no less worthy a subject.

On 21/04/2017 at 10:49 PM, Shelliecool said:

Count me in please, I've afew made in GB in my stash, and need an excuse to attempt my Buccaneer....... Maybe!🤔

Of course, with pleasure, any excuse to build a Buccaneer is a good one ;) Which kit do you have?

32 minutes ago, Col. said:

Of course, with pleasure, any excuse to build a Buccaneer is a good one ;) Which kit do you have?

Arr that's great thanks. I have the Revell 1:72 kit, I'm sad it doesn't have the folding wings and air brake but I love the aircraft and seeing the one they have at the RAF museum London, makes me think there's loads of scope with weathering.

2017-04-23_08-32-05

thanks Michelle. 

• Like 1