Tie Fighter scheme inspiration needed

paul_c

A few months back I managed to pick up 3 of the large Hasbro Special Forces Tie Fighters from Tesco at a bargain price. One has gone to my lad, one is staying in the box and the other is currently sat on my work bench.........

I'm planning on stripping it down and doing a repaint. However, my imagination has just decided to up and leave with regards to possible schemes. I was thinking of doing an 'unpainted' craft in chromate yellow as though it was undergoing major servicing but I am more than open to suggestions.

There are loads of alternative and 'what if' colour schemes out there for other SW vehicles such as X-Wings but I'm really struggling to find anything for Tie Fighters.

Over to you guys.........

Edited by paul_c

A white TIE with a HUUUUGE imperial symbol in red or black on one of the wings could also look great, the panels could be light grey or silver to have a good contrast from the logo. Or maybe some sort of testflight TIE with those black and yellow crash test symbols on it and a brown/reddish primer paint.

• Like 1

How about solid blood red?

If having one of the pantaloon engine fairings painted red is a Special Forces designation, a full red craft could be a Special Forces Commander version. Adding a couple of extra antenna would also help enforce that distinction.

Another alternative would be either jungle or dazzle camouflage (but that is mostly due to my fondness of seeing fictiona spacecraft painted in terrestrial military warpaint)

• Like 1

How about solid blood red?

If having one of the pantaloon engine fairings painted red is a Special Forces designation, a full red craft could be a Special Forces Commander version. Adding a couple of extra antenna would also help enforce that distinction.

Another alternative would be either jungle or dazzle camouflage (but that is mostly due to my fondness of seeing fictiona spacecraft painted in terrestrial military warpaint)

Richard, both of those possibilities are high on my list at the moment! I hadn't thought about a Commander's craft though, I was thinking red similar to the older Royal Guard Tie Interceptors or the Imperial Remnant ships. Maybe a reverse of the standard scheme, red with black engine fairing?

I'm also considering camo. Either an Aggressor unit with Rebel markings or a fighter/bomber that could blend with the surface of either Tatooine (desert) or Endor (jungle)........

Hopefully these two small models I did might give you some ideas. Both were relatively quickie builds with the FineMolds kits, but they were a lot of fun. I have no idea exactly in what deep recess of my brain the TIE Interceptor paintjob came from (I call it "Sarlacc"). But a buddy of mine said it does remind him of something seen in "Yellow Submarine". I believe I only saw that movie once when I was age 6. Now I am not necessarily saying "do these". But they might help get the creative juices flowing as I see it.

TIE%20Int3_zpszh0csqb9.jpg

TIE%20Int2_zpseeipw9of.jpg

front1_zpslneldnyk.jpg

Insignia1_zpswnimlham.jpg

• Like 2

I am also wondering if there might be somebody out there crazy enough to try building one of these from the big Hasbro toys (expensive to convert and would need a display stand, but potentially cool). I'm considering doing a New Order version myself, either with Revell or Bandai kits as the donors.

JMCSSMfronta_zpsd44e428e.jpg

• Like 1

There are a lot on non-canon variants of the TIE series- the one above I like because it is so odd looking which adds to the pragmatic military approach to vehicle adaptations.

It would stand to reason the First Order would have it's own variants in addition to the Special Forces TIE - a fun project until the next movie comes out and we see something new (like their version of a TIE Bomber).