1/72 Matchbox F9F-5 Capt. Ted Williams

I just put the last decals on tonight. It is the old Matchbox F9F-4 Panther done up

as Ted Williams' F9F-5 which he crash landed after being shot up on a bombing

mission in Korea 1953. I haven't built a stand model in years so I took the liberty

of wheels up and dive brakes down! This was a fun build to get away from the

stressful more challenging builds.---John

26621404866_85933021b2_o.jpgPanther 6 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

26042175464_1eba7da45d_o.jpgPanther 3 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

26042182144_15152c75a3_o.jpgPanther 5 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

• Like 17

Nice build John and very pleasing to see it displayed on the stand and 'in flight' as you say? Some of the old Matchbox kits can be built up into really nice models with a little care and yours looks to be one of them - well done on coming up with something so nice!! :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Love the Panther, looks especially nice quite clean with no stores. Thanks for sharing

Shane

I too like the Panther, a very cool looking jet with nice lines and as you say Shane, especially nice in a bare configuration without the clutter of any external stores!! :thumbsup:

Kev :)

I've always thought the Panther a handsome aircraft and your treatment of the subject certainly does it justice. Lovely build and finish. I built this kit some years ago and think it is one of Matchbox's best efforts.

Great model and so good to see a model on a stand, in flight (with pilot). The old Matchbox stands could be a little wobbly but I thought they were great.

Isn't it a shame that to save a few pence per model, stands aren't included, pilots also sometimes not included It really removes the play value for younger modellers and display options for us lazy oldies..

Thanks for all the compliments. Matchbox did do some interesting subjects

and with some TLC and scratch building made some beautiful models. I

built 2 of their Avro Lancasters and while the new Airfix and Revell overshadow

them they still hold up as quite good. They are also the only company that makes

an A model of the F-86 Sabre! A bit spartan but still quite nice.---John

Excellent.

Like mentioned above, `The bridges from Toko RI`

Good films always keep hanging in the memory.

Regards,

Orion

Last year we flew back to JFK from St. Maarten aboard a JetBlue 737. Besides wearing a pair of Red Sox painted on the tail, the cabin contained seats all in Monster Green, except for a single red one towards the back. Just like the one at Fenway Park, in commemoration of Teddy Ballgame's 502 foot homerun. A great model in commemoration of "the greatest hitter who ever lived." I'd give this model a score of .406 or maybe a 521. Either one is pretty good. Bravo Zulu, John.