1/144 Takara submarine collection.

Not so much ready for inspection as I haven't done any real work but I am proud of my collection of 1/144 Takara subs that are filling an empty cabinet until I have a useful amount of free time to make some kits from my stash!

It took me a significant amount of effort to track down these models, some ordered from Japan etc.

Please ignore the 212a class in the back of the cabinet, this was just a quick practice model I did and I completely messed it up, but remembered a few things about modelling in doing so.

Included is a random Polaris A3 SLBM.

2zghuog.jpg

I realise an Ikea Detolf was prehaps the worst chose for submarine models, but In my defense I bought it quite a while ago.

Btw, if anyone has a Takara 1/144 Alvin or shinkai /wadatsumi 2000 they are willing to part with, I am extremely interested.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 10

The best place to source the Alvin and Shinkai 2000 is ebay on a worldwide search, thats how i got mine, they do pop up ocassionally its a matter of keep looking.

The Takara submarines and submersibles are great, I have a mix of 1/700 and 1/144.

The 212 doesnt look to bad in the photo, we all start somewhere, my first submarine builds bear little resemblance to the ones i produce now, its a learning curve.

All the best Chris

Ooh. Where did you get the mini submarines from? (the colorful ones)

Hi,

They are a discontinued line of 'gashapon' (vending machine toys) from Japan by a company called Takara.

I think they have been out of production for around 10 years now, so fairly rare but as Chris says, they can be found on eBay from time to time.

They are pre-built (with the exception of installing periscopes, arms etc) and display a reasonable amount of detail and well painted/decaled considering this.

In the future I intend to super-detail them and make some improvements such as removing joint lines.

The X craft will probably be replaced by the Brengun kit in the future as I want a high level of detail in my eventual collection.

Edited by SUB-SAM

• 9 months later...

Well, I am a very happy man today. 

After regularly, or should I say, obsessively checking the net for the Takara submersibles I was yet to own, I finally tracked down the Alvin.

And this was the even more desirable version that includes Jeyson Jr. (ROV), this was the first time I had ever seen a Takara 1/144 Alvin for sale. 

It cost me a small fortune as it was located in Australia and today it arrived. 

To get excited about a small piece of plastic is hard to explain to the wife but this is going to make my collection all the better, an interesting comparison with the other vessels. 

The quality of these pre-finished models is a cut above most. 

2017_01_31_19_53_01.jpg?1

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

After a few years I have finally tracked down the last part of the Takara 1/144 submersible collection, the Wadatsumi/Shinkai 2000! 

Along with finally getting the Mir 1 to go alongside my Mir 2... 

I do now feel a little deflated that there are no more from the set to collect, but there are certainly many 1/144 submarines in my stash to build and some I would like to scratch build. 

I imagine scratch building some other deep sea exploration vessels in the same scale, the Bathyscaphe Trieste would be particularly cool. 

Shinkai2000.jpg

• Like 2