A very latecomer, Airfix Harrier GR5

I know its taking the biscuit a bit, but the harriers did enter service in Germany in the last few weeks of the 80's. Brought in a double listing on ebay as I was after the other kit, sat in my stash a year and half not begin built as the correct colours are not available in acrylics. Have tried to sell it many times, but no bites, and having found a couple of paints in my collection are close enough I've decided to build it. Plus I may not be able to build what I want for this GB soon as I need to find suitable decals.

Sure its been disucessed whether this is trully eligible in them chat thread, and I know this isn't the first entry of this kit, but if the powers do decided Ill be happy to move this to the WIP section

21EF976F-FB94-467E-9C00-47863FC97B86_zps

So long as the subject was in service within our area of operations at some point during the 80's then it's eligible. Carry on Stu but be sure your particular airframe is within the correct time-scale ;)

Good to hear, did some digging to make sure, and 3sqn were declared fully optional within 1989, so should be eligible even if it did turn out my airframe was still in the uk the sqn was no longer an OCU, only photo from 89 I can of one out in Germany doesn't identify the airframe. Though the builds stalled, the lower wings are missing, they were there last time I opened the box

• Like 1

so do I, most puzzling, don't know where they could be, have looked in every box in the stash nothing, checked the bin, again nothing.....put the harrier away safetly for now, my 2nd potential project arrived today, but that needs decals which are rather scare, at the moment only option costs more than the kit did, and thats without buying a 2nd sheet for the stencils

Good to hear, did some digging to make sure, and 3sqn were declared fully optional within 1989, so should be eligible even if it did turn out my airframe was still in the uk the sqn was no longer an OCU, only photo from 89 I can of one out in Germany doesn't identify the airframe. Though the builds stalled, the lower wings are missing, they were there last time I opened the box

I have some 3 Sqn decals from Modeldecal with an aircraft operational in 1989 in RAFG, so I think it should be fine?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

See I haven't been updating this almost ready for decals, just needs the gloss coat ones the paint dry. As for the colours, the top is Revell Aqua 68, no idea how close it is too actual NATO irr green as I've never seen a tin of the xtracolour in the flesh, the bottom is Revell Aqua 39 mixed with some no7 black, humbrol34 white and humbrol no2 emerald AD40512B-5B3C-49F7-AFC8-DD41D8F1A98F_zps1E64D35E-B2C1-4862-8D04-BF66CE1FB82A_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Shame about your canopy conundrum, but I may have a solution for you If you still have the front windshield.

Years ago, can't remember exactly when, I had to recover a GR9 from a civvie airport where it had diverted into. The pilot was carrying out air to air refuelling, he got it wrong/something went wrong & the refuelling basket shattered the canopy.

If you can bodge both sides on your shattered canopy maybe you can 're-create this'.

Hope this helps.