1/144 - Handley Page HP.80 Victor B.1 by MikroMir - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, robvulcan said:

I can’t wait. I’ve always used these decals for all my 1/114th v bombers. They are correct scale size have the perfect colour and perform wonderfully.

my experience with mikro mirs own decals so far is not worth mentioning. Other than they need some microscale decal film adding to stop them breaking up.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mark-i-dmk14406-raf-roundels-type-d--396190

Right then...I’m off to get me some potato sticks and get my backside sat at the bench where it belongs ! :) 

What do you do for registrations and other aircraft specific markings?

27 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Both the B1/B1A and a K1/K1A. My post was more about the choice of decals rather than the kit itself. Ironically they don't provide decals for a B1, (unless you count the unique XA940 as previously mentioned).  

Just to reiterate, there's nothing seemingly wrong with the kit parts, it was only a comment on the box art showing a tanker, labelled 'B1' with two airflow 'diverters' in the intakes, which don't actually exist.  Only mentioned as it might be off-putting/confusing for someone who doesn't know what's in the sealed box. Personally, I'm going to be getting several of these little beauties for our SIG displays ( I feel a QRA diorama coming on).

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for their decals Rob :winkgrin: I thought you might like a couple of dozen or so......(you can get back to converting the old Kadar/Lincoln kit into one of the prototypes now!)

Indeed I still have the pitroad one to finishe backdating to the prototype B2 and the old Lincoln Kader B1 is still an amazing kit and till I’ve seen how good this one is or is not the best Victor B1 Model out there except for Frogs amazing effort :) 

Slightly off topic question, but is it just me or are the Mikro Mir Valiant's intakes too deep/round?

Still planning on building one regardless once I do my Airfix 1/72 one.

Edited by Adam Poultney

Hannants also have Kits World markings KW144052 and KW144053, "Handley Page Victor K.2 Tankers, 55 Sqn Over Iraq 'Nose Art'" covering 3 aircraft in each set.

Unfortunately, these are only for Hemp Victor K2's, (white serials). I use the Mark 1 sets...they also provide full 'D' Type roundels and fin flashes, ideal for early V-Bombers up to 1973ish when they changed over to low viz 'B' Type, (they also provide these, see list below).

Mark 1 decals

is it just me or are the Mikro Mir Valiant's intakes too deep/round?

I haven't built one of these but looking at images of completed models it looks as if the top lip of the intake is set too high. If the line was lowered slightly then that would improve the appearance. It appears that the lower lip sticks out slightly further than it should too and that the lower line is slightly too deep. I worked with Ali McLean on the Alleycat conversion set for the Airfix Valiant and spent some time getting the intakes right so I have a pretty good idea of how they should look. Not only that but the nose shape and windshield looks a bit off too.

I hope an after-market outfit comes up with a sheet for the B1/B1A.  I like my V-Bombers in white, personally.  Seems an odd choice or markings for this kit.

I certainly want an antiflash white one... My 1/72 Airfix Victor B2 is antiflash already, so I may as well go with camo, and just get another once aftermarket decals are released

• Like 1

I have the kit on my workbench… but as I am still busy with the Armstrong-Witworth Argosy C.1 ,from the same maker , I want to finish it first . This is a beautiful little kit in the box, but it requires a big lot of preparatory  and planning work before going over the first glue work. It really needs to be dry fit build first , otherwise…. good luck !

I just hope the B.1 will be easier to build ! Anyway the build of the Argosy is a very good training. The Argosy is the first kit I build from this maker. I am sure the result will be the effort worth….

Madcop.

• Like 1

As you say… Nothing but what an experienced modeler can accomplish with the basic tools. Think  ahead at each step. Dryfit , fine file and sandpaper compulsory. (for the Argosy at least…)

Good luck.

Madcop. 😉

Good. Just waiting on aftermarket decals to get one as I've heard Mikromir ones aren't brilliant. If they're useable and won't silver then I'll just do the included scheme

Think  ahead at each step. Dryfit , fine file and sandpaper compulsory. (for the Argosy at least…)

Sound advice madcopper....I'm halfway through a 1/72nd Mach 2 Whistling Wheelbarra for a magazine and believe me all the above x10 applies there (just add dogged determination and a lump hammer!)  Good to see some interest in the early Victor (for graceful lines it's hard to beat a factory fresh gloss white B1 in 10 squadron markings).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

I can’t wait for the 2 I ordered to arrive one will be white the other camo or silver. Can’t wait for more potato sticks to join the ones I’m making already. :) you can’t have enough victors 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

Sound advice madcopper....I'm halfway through a 1/72nd Mach 2 Whistling Wheelbarra for a magazine and believe me all the above x10 applies there (just add dogged determination and a lump hammer!) 

Good to see some interest in the early Victor (for graceful lines it's hard to beat a factory fresh gloss white B1 in 10 squadron markings). For anyone interested in the early version I'm currently working with Neil Gaunt of AIM on a Victor B1 conversion for the Airfix kit.  It's, still in the research stage, but hopefully, will prove popular when released.

Did someone say 1/72 Victor B1? Where can I sign up!?

Resin conversion, yes?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

Yes, it's still a way off, but definitely in the queue.

Sign me up for about 5! I love early v bombers! I'll keep an eye out for our when it eventually arrives

To clarify the comment from general melchett, as he said it is under investigation at present. Therefore nothing is definite at this time - the economics are important to see if such a conversion is viable.

Ahhhh ok. Well I imagine demand will be there, at least as much as there ever will be with a resin conversion. It would be a fairly extensive conversion wouldn't it, with the entire inner section of the wing needing to be replaced?

Doesn't a conversion set already exist for the Revell kit as well?

• Like 1