F-111E, Upper Heyford

David, nice work on this kit.

While I was living and working in Banbury in the early '80's I was driving homeone evening and as I drove up a hill and came to the top of it an an F 111 came hurtling towards me at what seemed like 50 feet above ground level and screamed over me on its way to or from Upper Heyford. I was so scared I damn near drove off the road!

• Like 1

Thank you chaps.

Craig- The nozzles and the cockpit are the only areas I will pay special attention too, the rest simply oob as it is a great kit, plus would rather try and finish something that doesn't take months this time :D Hopefully progress will be a bit more speedy on this one.

Tomoshenko- One bonus is the paint dries sharpish at least, true best make the most of this in the UK while it lasts.

Softscience- For these ones I just layered the foil trying to replicate something like this: http://s671.photobucket.com/user/j1shb/media/Corsford_F-111E_exhaust_zpse60efc51.jpg.html

It is little thick however but close enough for me, in the next update I'll take a pic to show you what I did, a 2 second job really but helps busy the whole thing up! :)

Whofan- Nice story :D, lucky to see in my opinion! Unfortunately this is another one of my fav modelling subjects I never managed to see :doh:

My dad was driving past a base, I think Lakenheath, when they were coming back from the raid in Lybia, wondering what all the fuss was only to hear later the story we all know now.

Thanks guys, trying to finish the pit tonight!

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 3

Thank you Jan!

I finished the cockpit last night,

L1050946_zpswoc0feuj.jpg

L1050934_zpswbqthsmg.jpg

I think I'll weather the front coaming a little more as they seemed to get a bit more sun bleached than what I've done here.

L1050931_zpscpe3y8je.jpg

And with the big canopy placed on you can still see some things inside. I will close it as the cockpit needs some extra modifying if you want to open one or both windows which I don't want to do tbh, plus I like the clean lines way better :) Looking at this photo it will need some polishing before a dip in clear!

L1050955_zpssbp1lod9.jpg

The reason I updated so soon as I've been test fitting a few of the parts and not sure if I've got the alignment quite right :hmmm:, maybe someone who knows this kit can help so I can continue construction.

The MLG bay is large and I think fits like so with no significant gaps anywhere,

L1050973_zpsmnhgrysm.jpg

but when you look from a different angle I get a large gap that I'm not sure should be there and it isn't clear in the instructions,

L1050974_zpskonzfjjt.jpg

And with everything taped up properly it seems to maybe affect the slope of the fuselage, too much slope?

L1050970_zpsmfnoj5ub.jpg

L1050968_zpswrbg1xst.jpg

The real one is quite sloped but I'm finding it hard to tell what the correct angle should be given the one or two large gaps I'm getting at the rear/front fuselage join, Pretty sure I've followed the instructions correctly but cocking up things like this isn't alien to me :D.

Thanks for looking,

David.

• Like 14

Very nice work again David, your cockpit will look more than adequate with the lid down and looks better than mine do that have the lid up!

Can't help you with the question as to the slope of the fuselage as I haven't built one of these but It looks quite good to me from your side on shot.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!

Jan, I test fitted the wings and you are right it does look better, I guess that big gap for the MLG is supposed to be there :hmmm:

Cookie- :thumbsup: , come join the fun in this GB! Haven't seen one of your gems in a while :)

Cliff, Skids, thank you.

Craig- Thank you Craig, next time I'll probs just use the decals as I rarely go inspecting the cockpits of my closed canopy 1/72 jets :winkgrin:

Cheers

David.

• Like 1

Yep what the others said, cockpit is looking well tasty, sharp and well detailed. Shame to cover it up. Though nice large canopy will show things through. As for the slope, apologies in advance for a "teaching grandmother to suck eggs" kind of approach, but what do the reference sources look like? To be honest it looks about right to me.

• Like 1

Thank you Jan!

I finished the cockpit last night,

L1050946_zpswoc0feuj.jpg

L1050934_zpswbqthsmg.jpg

I think I'll weather the front coaming a little more as they seemed to get a bit more sun bleached than what I've done here.

L1050931_zpscpe3y8je.jpg

And with the big canopy placed on you can still see some things inside. I will close it as the cockpit needs some extra modifying if you want to open one or both windows which I don't want to do tbh, plus I like the clean lines way better :) Looking at this photo it will need some polishing before a dip in clear!

L1050955_zpssbp1lod9.jpg

The reason I updated so soon as I've been test fitting a few of the parts and not sure if I've got the alignment quite right :hmmm:, maybe someone who knows this kit can help so I can continue construction.

The MLG bay is large and I think fits like so with no significant gaps anywhere,

L1050973_zpsmnhgrysm.jpg

but when you look from a different angle I get a large gap that I'm not sure should be there and it isn't clear in the instructions,

L1050974_zpskonzfjjt.jpg

And with everything taped up properly it seems to maybe affect the slope of the fuselage, too much slope?

L1050970_zpsmfnoj5ub.jpg

L1050968_zpswrbg1xst.jpg

The real one is quite sloped but I'm finding it hard to tell what the correct angle should be given the one or two large gaps I'm getting at the rear/front fuselage join, Pretty sure I've followed the instructions correctly but cocking up things like this isn't alien to me :D.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Hi, I had that gap too on my sparkvark project. Some judicious taping and gluing sorted that out, but by the time you put on the intakes it shouldn't be an issue.

Top work by the way!

Paul

• Like 1

Tomoshenko, thank you. You are right the more I have looked at pictures, I think it was all in my head!

Paul- Thank you for the help, just wanted to double check before I glued it all up :).

Cheers

David.

FOD covers are beautiful things for such concerns. :)

Is that the longest and thinnest LGB ever made?

I need deeper shelves so I can fit one of these in here. Keep it coming, you might just convince me to Go Large.

• Like 1

It might be the longest! Although not sure if a MOAB, or whatever its called, could be laser guided. Not sure if I'll add FOD covers,, the cave like intakes of the 111 I quite like really :). I wanted to build a 1/48 version too but went the easier route with the Hase kit (cba getting all the right kit/decals/weapons etc..when I had it in 1/72 already), a 1/48 kit sure would be impressive though, do it!

No progress on this one anyways :( , that stupid life thing interfering with it!

The cockpit looks stunning, nice work, getting the canopy polished clear will help reveal all that lovely detail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, I'm afraid no more progress yet, like yourself I've been a bit busy recently. Hopefully this weekend I can get some bits glued up (hopefully :)), anyhow look forward to your updates on the EF-111!

Cheers,

David

Really enjoying this build. It brings back great memories as I used to visit Upper Heyford every week in the early 90's. I was RAF at the nearby Abingdon as air traffic. We used to bowl against their tower staff every week and built up some great friendships so thanks for the reminders!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul, honestly it has been shelved for the meantime. I just lost motivation on it (nothing to do with the kit itself), or I just couldn't resist making some more Marineflieger Starfighters before I pick it up again. Maybe I can still have enough time to do this too but will pick it up again eventually (those famous last words). Sorry to let you down on the progress of this one and others who wanted to see the E!

David.