F-111E, Upper Heyford

Hi guys, here is my second entry, good job this GB goes on for a while! :D

It will be an F-111E or F, more likely an Upper Heyford E carrying some rather special ordinance.

The wonderful Hasegawa 1/72 kit and some old extras. These are the decals I have atm but currently trying to find some more, was surprised to find there is so little out there AM wise currently available for the F-111 in 1/72:

L1050368_zpsarzu9il0.jpg

And the Italeri B61 nuke. I'm no F-111 expert but I think they were loaded with two tanks, a centre fuel cell in the weapons bay/twin B61s, and B61s on the inboard pylons. Maybe some Aim-9s too but unsure, struggling to find exact information on the TAC nuke role. I might open a thread in the cold war section later to get some insights of you knowledgeable folk on here :)

L1050370_zpsjjlwlloy.jpg

i think I'll make a start on this before my Tornado as I've never built a F-111, it is huge for a 1/72 jet!

Itching to make a start on this one too.

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 6

I love swing wing jets so it just made sense :)

Craig- I was thinking of doing a 1/48 E/F from Academy but seeing as I already had the nukes etc in this scale I guess it can make a good comparison with the Tornado. Sure will be an impressive model in 1/48 however!

David

• Like 1

Hi guys.

I wanted to do something to kick off my GB entry this weekend so a little work on the cockpit to start off with rather overscale buttons and switches :winkgrin: . The main parts of the instrument panel was done with help of the Verlinden book, the small spaces are awaiting instrument decals. The cockpit is quite visible through the (to be) closed canopy so thought I might try to make it a little more interesting. Given I made this IP layout it will definitely be an Upper Heyford E jet.

L1050376_zps67um8gns.jpg

Now to add some more to the rest of the cockpit :)

Cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 9

Thanks guys, my eyes hate me!

I've purchased the little Eduard etch set for this (really hardly anything out there aftermarket wise bar, imho, the overpriced Verlinden set) and will weight up if I'll use that cockpit instead, probs a combo of both.

Softscience- Still leaning to have it shut to keep those graceful lines, I'll see how the painting turns out and decide then :)

DAvid

That's great scratch-building going on in the cockpit :coolio: Keep that level of quality up and this is going to be a real treat to watch.

• Like 1

Thanks Col and Justin!

I arrived home to find the eduard cockpit etch so I can now get back to the cockpit :). In the meantime I did some work on the exhausts this week. I usually don't mind so much about details on kits, if the shape is good I'm fine, but one thing that just gets me is plain interior engine nozzles. Hasegawa has done them very well for the scale (and age) of the kit but I added some detail inside. I thinned them out and used self adhesive layered foil for the interior petals and scribed a few lines.

L1050433_zpsakakaca3.jpg

As I'm learning more about the F-111 in the build (I usually know nothing :D) apparently depending on which engine was shut down first, usually one would remain open and one would close. So one nozzle has just a little detail added, the other was opened and a little spare etch added for the movable petals and control arms.

L1050427_zpsmqy8pbno.jpg

The reheat chambers will just be oob as I couldn't think of a way of replicating the layered circular pattern inside without making news ones, still might go this route but given not much is seen inside maybe not :winkgrin:

Finally I began work on the "shallow' version of the ECM pod (from a Revell F-16), simply cutting it up and will re-work with plasticard. Thankfully Hasegawa supplies the correct pylon and also aim-9 wing launchers, it really is a well done kit!

L1050436_zpsbkmvwyzy.jpg

Only a little update I'm afraid but some Starfighters are currently fighting this with my modelling time atm!

Thanks for looking,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 10

Hi guys, here is my second entry, good job this GB goes on for a while! :D

It will be an F-111E or F, more likely an Upper Heyford E carrying some rather special ordinance.

The wonderful Hasegawa 1/72 kit and some old extras. These are the decals I have atm but currently trying to find some more, was surprised to find there is so little out there AM wise currently available for the F-111 in 1/72:

L1050368_zpsarzu9il0.jpg

And the Italeri B61 nuke. I'm no F-111 expert but I think they were loaded with two tanks, a centre fuel cell in the weapons bay/twin B61s, and B61s on the inboard pylons. Maybe some Aim-9s too but unsure, struggling to find exact information on the TAC nuke role. I might open a thread in the cold war section later to get some insights of you knowledgeable folk on here :)

L1050370_zpsjjlwlloy.jpg

i think I'll make a start on this before my Tornado as I've never built a F-111, it is huge for a 1/72 jet!

Itching to make a start on this one too.

David.

Great choice - childhood memories - cool decal sheet too...covers most of East Anglia!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

Thank you for the nice words guys! :)

I did some more this weekend. Finished adding some details to the cockpit and seats. Some of the switch panels were rescued from an old Verlinden cockpit present in the kit I purchased off eBay a while back. Also one or two bits from the Eduard fret.

L1050903_zpsakldwad4.jpg

And partially painted, the weather has been too nice to do any more :D

L1050910_zpsasipwk1a.jpg

Hopefully next weekend cockpit will be done and some progress actually building the thing :)

David.

• Like 13