Lightning F6 - well be rude not too! ++FINISHED++

Have I missed the markings and colour scheme choice for this? Im suspecting its gonna be a grey un?

EDIT - Ah, 770? I need to build a copy of that old lump myself.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

What made you think I would do the Grey one?

I like silver and camo but I love the grey ones. I will be doing XR770 but not with the red wings or spine. It will be this one

I couldn't do the camo one anyway as I gave the decals to someone else. Doesn't mean I won't do another one in the future.

Very nice work so far Simon.

Having seen the real thing on Sunday at Bruntingthorpe I'm strangely drawn to the idea of building one myself later, I managed to pick up the Sword T.5 for a bargain price of £25 on the day so I feel I need a single seater to go with it. Here's a couple of pictures I took of the undercarriage area on Sunday, I have got more somewhere if you would like them.

DSC02443_zpsnzf1oafo.jpg

DSC02442_zpsbltjt1f0.jpg

Hope they are helpful.

Craig.

• Like 1

Gutted that I couldn't make it, hopefully next time I will be there.

Cheers for the pics Craig, great stuff. Any pics welcome.I am adding a bit of detail but I am not going to bog myself down.

• Like 1

What made you think I would do the Grey one?

I like silver and camo but I love the grey ones. I will be doing XR770 but not with the red wings or spine. It will be this one

I couldn't do the camo one anyway as I gave the decals to someone else. Doesn't mean I won't do another one in the future.

Vague recollections within the old grey matter... rare that works properly though, so I went back to the first page and saw you had mentioned a red tail and ordering grey paints.

Just call me Sherlock. ;)

Looking forward to seeing that scheme - Im considering a trio of red tailed RAF bits here and 770 would be one of them, but in which guise me wondered...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i'm enjoying this build, nice work so far and the cockpit looks great.

I have to admit I've never built a Lightning, it's sort of been on my list of aircraft I must build.....all I can say is it's a bl##dy long list! :wall:

• Like 1

Thanks, unfortunately life keeps getting in the way and also things go wrong (usually my own fault)

Had no time last week as during the school holidays I took a day off and popped along to Great Missenden. My daughters holiday homework was about Roald Dahl so we decided to visit the Museum. It was great and found out a lot about him I did not know. Well worth a visit.

When we started her project she asked me to do some illustrations from the books and a few others. So after a bit of research and I ended up drawing and painting Pelly, Willy Wonka, Esio Trot and an everlasting gobstopper (in the style of Qeinten Blake), a Hurricane (which she coloured) and a Gremlin. So that was my week done, honest.

RD%20Images_zpsiziv2ghq.jpg

Then I got back to trying out stuff for the Lightning. Back onto the wheel well and I was trying to make it look more like the real thing. I got to this stage

Lightning%2018_zpsbm8nv3ji.jpg

And it was going well, I had cut the wire down to size and then I spilt glue all over it and it kinda buckled up and I was a bit angry. So I have decided to not go to mad with the wells and get on with the build instead. This was originally going to build this OOB apart from the seat but then I always make things more complicated. I now have one wing glued and will do the other one later.

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 4

Thanks Tomoshenko

I would redo it and try again as it was looking ok, but time is something that I wont have soon as I have some private work coming up.

So its going to be a a "get it done build". The only mod now will be some Gun barrels and the rest of the Airwaves etch.

Simon

Right chaps I have been searching the Internet without any luck so have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know if on the F.6 the canon barrels stick out slightly. Can you see them protruding or are they inside the belly?

2. I can't find an underside pic of the aircraft I am doing. It will be XR770 but only with the Red Tail, not the spine and wings. So on the underside would the Barley Grey just wrap slightly under the wing? In the instructions it looks like it just creeps under on the edge on the tip where the red stops.

Thanks

Simon

Thanks RMP2 wasn't sure if they were all the same as there seem to be a few different Grey schemes on Lightnings.

There is a better pic of that Lightning from the other side showing no muzzle. I have seen loads of pics but wasn't sure if they had had the cannons removed?

Had a quick rummage and found this - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994432-lightning-f6-canons/page-2

Perhaps the protruding barrel is the 27mm Mauser test setup? Or...

Anyway, seems that the barrels didnt protrude as a rule on F6s going by that thread and BM is always right!

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Thanks RMP2, that seems to solve it.

Most annoying is that I searched on here first and found nothing. Obviously I am rubbish at searching for things on this site. Good job there are some intelligent peeps on here!

Hi All

Very small update, main assemblies are done just got to put them together (just putting this up as it will shame me into pulling my finger out and to getting a move on).

The 2 small fuselage sections needed a strip of plastic adding as they were bit small and left a gap. Should be putting it all together later

Lightning%2019_zpskibnhrsx.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 3

Managed to get her together and undercoated so now the fun begins.

Will get pre shading done tonight hopefully. Always gets me how big the Lightning is!

Lightning%2020_zpswshfm7nx.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 4

Cheers Cliff, lets hope it pays off.

Here is the Light Grey underside done, will remark tonight ready for the Barley Grey upper. Happy now there is paint going on

Lightning%2022_zpsa2o9cnww.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 7

Hi all

Have managed to get a bit of work done over the last few evenings.

Well I masked and sprayed and masked more and sprayed more then did a bit more. And when I pulled all the tape off I was left with this

Lightning%2023_zpsrub4koar.jpg

Will have to redo the light grey underside as there is hardly any difference with the Barley Grey.

But that aside I was happy with the outcome

Thanks

Simon

• Like 7

Thanks guys, I am happy with it so far. Hopefully I will get some more done later

RMP2 the paint was Revell Aqua Colour Fiery Red.

• Like 1