Lightning F6 - well be rude not too! ++FINISHED++

Thanks All

Wondered if anyone could clarify something. When dry fitting the intake I noticed that the wheel well is rectangle for the fuselage but oval for the nose cone and it looks a bit random. Is this just an oversight made by Airfix (I know this mould is old)

Lightning%208_zpsde8dmru7.jpg

Should it be oval or not?

Thanks

Simon

I had a look up there on the Mk.53 posing as XR753 at Tangmere and there is a transition inside the wheel well between the square door and the recess which as you know forms part of the bullet, I haven't got a picture I'm afraid but is is no where near as exaggerated as on the kit.

However once the doors are on in the open position it is not noticable.

• Like 1

As moulded the kit parts are not overly wrong but perhaps a little exaggerated. There is a step from one shape to another but I found laying in some very thin plastic sheet to cover the gaps made it look a little better during a still on-going attempt to build this kit during the Lightning GB.

• Like 1

Thanks Col will give it a go

I can now get cracking on this as the etch has arrived, not intending using anything else apart from maybe a little bit of scratch building.

Lightning%209_zpsevn5y1nc.jpg

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

Will you be using the window seal set of masks?

I was always sceptical/couldnt be arsed with them, but went for it with a Starfighter and the fiddling was worth it even for such fine little lines (be they right or wrong).

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up Darren (they haven't)

Looks like I will have to perform a wee bit of surgery on the seat and cockpit now

• Like 1

1 Its a lightning and I can still picture it going down the runway and then going vertical (please feel free to make the screamin whooosh noise in your head as I just did). No plane will EVER do that better EVER.

That's my first aviation memory! Saw them do it at Leuchars when I was a sprog and it has stuck with me, it was simply one of the most awesome things I've seen.

Good luck with the build.

• Like 1

That's my first aviation memory! Saw them do it at Leuchars when I was a sprog and it has stuck with me, it was simply one of the most awesome things I've seen.

Good luck with the build.

And what a great memory, still one of my favourites.

One of my others was watching an F-16 fly real slow down the runway with its nose pitched up with the American commentator explaining how the Fly-by-wire system was keeping it in the air, followed later by a British Jaguar doing the same thing with just the pilot showing that tech wasn't needed, just skill - awesome.

Anyway enough memories, lets get some work done. Still playing with the nose section but while I was pondering over that I was playing with the cockpit.

As pointed out by MADMUSKY (Thanks Darren) the QB Seat doesn't fit in the tub hmmm................does now

Lightning%2010_zpsnnoiodgv.jpg

Time to get some paint on it now.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 4

Small update. Fixed the gap in the front wheel well, just gotta fill the join and then have a look at the other wheel wells (which look a bit plain).

And I think that after seeing Trickyrich's amazing work on his Su-7s it would be a rude not to tart them up a bit.

Lightning%2011_zpsafx9hc9l.jpg

• Like 3

I hope its my tired eyes, but is the cone sitting too far forward? Have you dry fitted the nose ring to see if it looks ok?

Not meaning to cause any panic, I remember something about the fitting of the cone being an issue, but cant remember what it was now. Hope its ok, I do love a Lightning.

I hope its my tired eyes, but is the cone sitting too far forward? Have you dry fitted the nose ring to see if it looks ok?

Not meaning to cause any panic, I remember something about the fitting of the cone being an issue, but cant remember what it was now. Hope its ok, I do love a Lightning.

I did a dry test fit on the nose RMP2 to see what it looks like, I am not an expert it seems to fit ok. Does it look right??

Lightning%2012_zpsxadxhfn7.jpg

Have started painting the pit but not got any pics yet.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

Glad it looks fine, well only managed a small amount as it seems I have been roped into doing a "seaside" photoboard for my daughters School Spring Fair next Saturday. Yesterday afternoon I took delivery of a board with two holes in it that needs 2 figures painting on it. Nothing like a bit of pressure.

While popping in and out of my studio I still managed to play with the IP. The Airfix decal does not match the Airwaves etch so I decided to cut the decal up and put it on some plasticard.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/SKIDS72/Lightning%2013_zpsl0ik4qmf.jpgLightning%2013_zpsl0ik4qmf.jpg

Lightning%2014_zpsuunnrrwe.jpg

and so on till I got to this which looks ok (well it will when I glue it down and get a pic as it looks a bit off centre in the pic).

Lightning%2015_zpsn3xymjxt.jpg

more soon (hopefully)

Simon

• Like 6

Hi All

I have not forgotten this little beauty but had a busy week. As mentioned before I had to paint a board, well it got done and the PTA loved it so SWMBO was happy.

Board_zpslkquaiik.jpg

(I actually had fun doing it! but I won't be telling her that, I just keep mumbling about not getting any of my Lightning done!)

But the event went well and we had a few jeeps turn up. Which was very nice. It was particularly cool to see this jeep again.

Jeep_zpsgpq4mwhu.jpg

As 11 years ago this Saturday coming this beauty took me and my best man to my Wedding. Which was the second best thing of the day obviously after getting married to SWMBO (that will save me getting :fight: later)

I will be back on the Lightning tonight.

Simon

Ooerr, Queen Bessie of Buckinghuge Palace and Phil the Greek. What a pair to find on a beach.

In other news, the Lightning is coming along just dandy. Stop faffing about with kid's stuff and do more Lightning stuff, eh.

• Like 1

Duly noted Rob.

After :fight: some sense into myself I started on the right track again.

Got the tub and seat going so I can seal the fuselage up. Lots of straps on the seat so that will take some time but here is my start on the tub.

Lightning%2016_zpsgcjevrow.jpg

Simon

• Like 3

Hi Al

Not much done but a small amount of progress

Filled her up

Lightning%2016_zpsfmtvhyj9.jpg

Sealed her up

Lightning%2017_zps45xjhpsr.jpg

And a trial run to make the UC bays look a little bit more exciting!

Lightning%2018_zpsbrkw2k6y.jpg

More real soon

Thanks

Simon

• Like 6