Lightning F6 - well be rude not too! ++FINISHED++

Hi All

I wasn't going to do another GB this year but after thinking long and hard about it I just had to, well as long as thats ok with everyone?

Cold War without a Lightning you must be 'avin a giraffe!!!!!!!'

There are many reasons for this build but here are the best 3.

1 Its a lightning and I can still picture it going down the runway and then going vertical (please feel free to make the screamin whooosh noise in your head as I just did). No plane will EVER do that better EVER.

2 The reason I love planes and modelling was thanks to my Dad. He took me to airshows as a kid and help me build my first models. The Lightning was his favourite, so its taken me some time to actually get the willpower to do this but this is for him. He was the best and I am gonna give it my best.

3 Its a lightning

So enough of that here is the box and sprues.

Lightning%201_zpsbci6kmbi.jpg

Lightning%202_zpsgnzmlx7b.jpg

Lightning%203_zps2eukc1av.jpg

And at present the only AM is a bang seat (although knowing me like I do that may change)

Lightning%204_zpsl18ncvyn.jpg

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 5

Praise the Lord!

Its a lovely kit with lovely decals. I dont recall any issues when I built mine. Oh, hang on - careful with the nosecone fit, there was a little issue or other there that youll see when dry fitting. I forget exactly what it was though...

Thanks, youve saved me 25-30 quid.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see one of these on the go. Somewhere in the bowels of storage I have one of the first release with 'challenging' decals. OK actually pretty awful. I hope the re-release is up to current standards.

Good luck and fair wind.

• Like 1

Glad this is a good choice. May have to do a bit of research on this. I normally spend a good few weeks looking at pics etc but this has been rather a jump in at the deep end. Will see if there is any AM and paints at Modelkraft tomorrow.

Forgot to say that I will be using the kit decals of No.5 Squadron, but I found some interesting pics with just a Red tail. Think it may have been towards the end of its career? I'm sure someone can confirm this. Also some with a lot of dirt and stains, which should be fun.

Other than the seat and maybe instrument stuff, I dont think theres much youd really want or need for this. The kits are that nice as are the Cartograf decals. You just cant go wrong. :)

• Like 1

Your second point is incorrect. All due respect to your Dad, but it should read 2. It's a Lightning.;)

Good to see that someone's doing one - I was going to, but couldn't do the colour scheme I wanted to, so I chucked a hissy fit and went home. :D Good luck, have fun!

• Like 2

Hopefully I can get it right, just got to order the mask and maybe airwaves etch then I can get cracking. (well started taking bits off sprues and working out weights for the nose).

Managed to get the Barley and Light Grey at modelkraft yesterday.

Perhaps your'e right Rob. Although this GB has given me a good reason to do this kit (and it wont be the last lightning I do just the hardest!)

I think a trip to Bruntingthorpe may be in order this year too!!

Edited by Skids

Thanks Col

Well while I was waiting for a few bits to arrive from the big H I thought I would start weighing down the nose. Thats a good thing just get ahead of myself, it all helps doesn't it?

Lets put some of this in the cone and seal it with some glue. As per instructions.

Lightning%205_zps2bfz3lke.jpg

Got home tonight to THIS!!!!!!!

Lightning%206_zps90fkzeeb.jpg

Hmmm now what should I do. Will it just keep eating away and totally wreck it or will it just stop so I can patch it up.? Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

Well that sucks.

Best bet is t let it calm down and then filler it up I guess. Not too hard a shape to deal with and mostly out of sight too.

Lesson learnt. Ill stick to lead and plasticine/blu-tac.

Hardly a fun start to things. Dont let it put you off.

• Like 1

that damage will not be visible once the nose is closed up

Looking at the Lightning here, I have to agree. Would need a torch and one of those "light benders" to see that.

Crack on!

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

hmm thats a bit of a bummer! I'd let it cure a bit, then go about it with miliput and some levelling off final sanding, solvent putty might shrink with the depth of those marks. Thats assuming you want fix it though , as others say it will be hard to see :shrug:

david

• Like 1

Duct tape! Or as they say in aviation circles, 1000 mph tape.

I'm amazed that the poduct did that - I would've thought that it was designed to be nonreactive with styrene. Glad I've never bought it! I use shotgun shot, the smallest I could buy (no idea what gauge). Fills all sorts of nooks and crannies. If I need to make it stay in one area, it's easy enough to box it in with scrap card. Or I could use Blu-Tak, I guess. Hope you get it fixed.

• Like 1

Ooohhh! Nice.

I have an F.6 in the stash. My F.3.was a nice buid.

On the subject of the nose cone ask Airfix for replacment parts. They are very helpful.

Have a look at my coin based weight solution...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995376-english-electric-lighting-f3-xp753-74-tigers-squadron-148-airfix/

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 1

Hi Col.

It has stopped eating away at the plastic Although it did make a few marks on the radome but they were small. I have been applying putty to the affected areas, sanded and applied a bit more, its getting back to shape so will post a pic when its done.

Ordered the airwaves etch and eduard mask so once they arrive it will be full steam ahead.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

With regard to the nose cone did you use PVA/wood glue with the lead shot? It's a known problem in railway modelling circles. The lead shot reacts with the glue and expands. A few years back when liquid lead first came around there were a few instances of burst boilers that had been packed with the lead shot and sealed with PVA.

• Like 1

Thanks Col, its getting there now.

Beautiful Lightning Tim, I really hope mine comes out as good as that. I am doing the same machine but with only the red tail.

Andy, I used super glue which didn't expand the lead but seemed to heat up the lead as it made the plastic melt? I certainly wont be using it again.

So in the end it melted both sides and a small part of the nose cone. Anyway after a couple of days I seem to have the shape back (pic below sorry its not great quality)

Moving onto the exhausts later (while I wait for the etch)

Lightning%207_zpsfjmoronn.jpg

Edited by Skids
  • Like 4