Sweet 1/144 Hurricane I - done!

atvd1020

As a final entry I plan to build the 1/144 Sweet Hurricane Is from the 'aces' boxing:

SHurri1-1_zpsc0ybjzmf.jpg

(better picture of the sprues below)

SHurri1-2_zpsbfihxm7m.jpg

However I got these 1/144 marking decals from Mark I and plan to build both in 'alternate' markings:

SHurri1-3_zpsi9bxgpcx.jpg

The 8" serials aren't strictly accurate, being post-war, but they were the only ones available at Hannants. The first kit will be built as the Malta Hurricane I V7101 fro 69 Squadron, and I'm still not sure what the next one will be.

Edited by atvd1020
  • Like 1

Hi,

I am always impressed by people brave enough to build 1/144 WW2 fighters, not to mention WW1 biplanes!!!

Believe me when I say that I am in awe, seeing that you have been as far as sourcing a plate of 8'' serial numbers!!! Forget that they may not be 100% accurate... I'll barely see the plane without my glasses, let alone the serial's font!

I have only built a 1/144 F4F-4 Wildcat in my whole life, and that was ... very small.

So congratulation for tackling such a microscopic job with such an attention to detail.

JR

• Like 1

Hi,

I am always impressed by people brave enough to build 1/144 WW2 fighters, not to mention WW1 biplanes!!!

Believe me when I say that I am in awe, seeing that you have been as far as sourcing a plate of 8'' serial numbers!!! Forget that they may not be 100% accurate... I'll barely see the plane without my glasses, let alone the serial's font!

I have only built a 1/144 F4F-4 Wildcat in my whole life, and that was ... very small.

So congratulation for tackling such a microscopic job with such an attention to detail.

JR

Thanks for the kind words :) I would draw the line at 1/144 WW2 fighters myself and I stand equally in awe of 1/144 biplane builders.

Since Saturday the kit has progressed from this:

SHurri2_zpsfmo7qibg.jpg

to this:

SHurri3-1_zpsg8o5qe2q.jpg

SHurri3-2_zps35igzwrj.jpg

I did the wheel wells in interior green more for contrast than anything. I apologize for the picture quality but these were the best that showed off the shade of blue I used for the Hurricane; I will take better photos of the plane (with decals on!) tomorrow under natural light. The blue in question is approximately two parts each of Humbrol 104 and 25 and one part of Revell 50. The last is a bright blue which was needed both for scale effect and to brighten up the mixture of the other two blues. Humbrol 25 is quite 'purple' and this shows up sharply with my camera when taking pictures under incandescent light.

• Like 2

And so, this is what the blue looked like under natural light (gloss reflection notwithstanding):

SHurri4-1_zpsb2cdkumj.jpg

It got cloudy quite fast this afternoon, so the next pictures are with the lighting settings tweaked. I used the Sweet roundels for the topside since their blue was less dark than the Mark I roundels, suggesting fading on exposure to the sun. Unfortunately they moved a bit when I added the fixing solution:

SHurri4-2_zpsucpcth96.jpg

And then on went the prop, undercarriage...

SHurri4-3_zpselz9m2cm.jpg

and serials:

SHurri4-4_zpsg8qwfw6n.jpg

This should be done by tomorrow.

• Like 1

And it's done! After dinging and dirtying the model I coated it with Vallejo matt varnish, which worked for once:

SHurri5-1_zpstxx99vis.jpg

SHurri5-3_zpsihzeo3os.jpg

SHurri5-2_zpsyc2fbbro.jpg

I was lucky to get some good natural lighting while taking these photos, as today was quite cloudy. The exhaust stains came out weird, looking more like mud than exhaust. The landing lights' tolerances were tighter than I remembered, and I had to trim off a bit of each clear part's edge to fit in the wing after paint and glue was added. One of the undercarriage broke off when I dropped it and it was still a bit wobbly when the photos above were taken.

More pictures in the gallery and just for fun, here's a shot of all the Sweet Hurricanes I have:

SHurri6-2_zpsfxx7jpml.jpg

Edited by atvd1020
  • Like 2