Spitfire MkXIII

4 hours ago, It's a disease said:

I've been researching this exact aircraft!

I planned on using the revell Mk Vb kit. Turns out I need a Mk Va.

Or you could use an Airfix Mk1... it kind of worked for me. Whichever way you go, I hope you enjoy yourself and we get to see some photographs.

No no no, kind of nothing! It has worked for you!

(a lot of this thread will be the basis of my colour selection! When I get around to the build)

I always enjoy my modelling time, except when I stab my finger, or feed the carpet beast!

Im backwards in that I'm trying to find a use for the kit! Sort of the only thing I could (reads wanted) buy from my local hobby shop (which keeps getting smaller every time I go) basically in the upstairs of a toy shop, if I need glue or plastic I know where to find it without the hassle of posting/POSTAGE! I normally grab a kit while I'm there.

Yes there will be pictures! Eventually........

I simply cant buy another kit, orders from above, fair enough as I have a ridiculous stash, well, that's how she sees it anyway......... I'm trying to reduce the box count so I'm allowed more new boxes!

Im also looking into a few Mk IXc spits, so I may build that type as I can't see it being done by anybody else yet! But I may have missed it?

(went mad with the az joipack + plus another kit, so that's four az Mk IXc spits I need to do something special with.

MK210 with p51 drop tanks. Interesting and slightly unusual, that's one! (Started, sort of, I've got the bits! And the research is done)

another (slightly less) interesting mk IXc

MA254 74sqn coded Y (no squadron codes) (not a lot of research, just a colour profile, that was the inspiration!)

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 1

If you buy an Eduard Spitfire MkIX, you can use the spare decals on the AZ Joypacks. :wicked: You'd only increase your stash by one box.

I can't think of any really exciting WW2 MkIX schemes but post-war they were used by Burma, Egypt, Israel (to name a few).

If you've got a MkV to get use, there's always a Malta-based or Mediteranean one; plenty of interesting schemes there with the SAAF and Yougoslav markings.

It'd be worth posting in the WW2 section, some-one will know more than I do.

Nice try! :wicked::whip:

:yahoo:(me walking in with new model)

:dinosaur:(the mrs, after discovering said kit)

:cold:(me after about ten minutes of earache)

Yes, I have the Eduard in 1/48th (or, two of them and a nice glass for my beer!)

that has some interesting markings for sure.

thing about decals is, I have a few sets I've been picking up along the way, mainly extra decal roundels, but like you, I've the Ventura 4/8 serial set, so you know, I can build anything! (Starting with sky codes! Cos that's all I got)

i do have left over codes from the Italeri V, the other interesting V that I would like to build but can't find much on, the Saaf special conversion with an extra windscreen in place of the upper tank (so, I think a spotter/observer could sit, between the pilot and main fire bulkhead....)

exciting for me, is as simple as something which isn't readily available! Not sure why but that's the direction my modelling is taking me, that then is an interesting model.

• Like 2

If you are looking for different Spitfire Mk.IX schemes then search for the Ventura book on USAF Spitfires, specifically the ones in Italy.  By scheme I mean colours - if you just think of different national markings then there are wartime options such as French and one Norwegian - in that case knuckles were instantly rapped and markings removed.  These were e wing rather than c, I believe.  Plus the bare metal USAF one.  The very early blue one that attacked the Ju86P.  Pale pink FR Mk.IXs.

Hasn't the Mk.IXc also been done by AZ?  Twice?  And Hasegawa.  And Italeri - ish.  If you were desperate, and you'd have to be, you could find 2nd hand or reboxings of the Frog and Matchbox kits.  Sword also do the later Mk.IXe but they may come in a box labelled as Mk.XVIs.

The SAAF 2-seater Mk.V had the front pilot/passenger in place of the fuel tank, so a bit of a hint that you can be pretty sure it was only a hack.  I've seen it referred to as somewhere to carry his batman.

• Like 1

Again, no new kits (short term, depending on how quick I can build them!!!!!)

yes, the pink spits certainly would be a nice (and colourful) addition to the shelf, my partner joked about a pink plane, how she was humbled when I produced evidence of pink spitfires! Heh heh heh, smile vapourised!

(perhaps that's why I got a kit ban? Too much cheek!) evidence clearly shows that to be untrue, kits to the ceiling and back.

ok, so I may will start a thread on the Saaf custom, we shall see what the collective world can produce.......