Shinsei Industry VF-11B Thunderbolt (Hasegawa 1/72)

Hello everyone,

Just finished this baby a week ago, just a little custom paint scheme with available decals, and some additional pylons and missiles.

Hope the photos are enjoyable, because I only used my Galaxy S4 camera and a single desk lamp, later touched-up with Photoshop (only with Auto Level)

20160408_235834_zpss3oaapi5.jpg

The base is printed 1/72 US Carrier from... sorry I forgot the maker,

20160409_000013_zpsibyum0xs.jpg

The main camo color is Gunze 13 Neutral Gray, not a correct color for USN aircraft, but this is sci-fi anyway.

20160410_155458_zpstxm4dhbh.jpg

I might have overdone the weathering around the wing-sweep mechanism, and everywhere else.

20160408_235008_zpsm3f76ebb.jpg

The missiles and their pylons are taken from VF-1 Weapon Set from the same company.

VF-11B%20back-front_zps8uwkzvvh.jpg

VF-11B%20details_zpsrx2girgm.jpg

I admit I lost the yellow-black overhead grab handle (or ejection handle) on the bang seat, I also lost the instrument panel and had to scracthbuild the replacement.

Btw I did get tempted to post this in Aircraft sub-forum but the fear of angry members hailing me rocks and boulders brought me back from that delusion.

Cheers,

Edited by solowing666
  • Like 18

Here are some WiP photos:

20160304_133658_resize_zpsnhkgmmoi.jpg

subassemblies had been glued and sanded, overall dry-fit between subassemblies are good.

VF-11B%20wip%20paint_zpsx96n2zid.jpg

The paint's on, black base, followed by random white, then random earth for dirt effect, then overall color (Gunze 13 Neutral Grey)

VF-11B%20wip%20decal_zpsdl1yw6em.jpg

The only downside are the thick decals, which silvered heavily despite my efforts subduing them with Mr. Mark Setter-Softer combo, although they blended quite nicely after the matt topcoat.

Note that even nearing the final stages, and even after finish, the kit can still be disassembled. I admit that some parts are just attached with Glu-Tak (to facilitate disassembly) but they are not visible.

Cheers,

• Like 6

Cracking build, lovely paint job Solo.

I keep getting tempted by these, have resisted so far, but i can see one materialising in the near future.

All the best Chris

Love it! Always wanted to build a macross plane, the grey looks great!

Thank you for all the likes and compliments!

Macross kits are mainly produced by Bandai, Hasegawa, and Wave (all 3 are Japanese), and mostly available on Japanese shops / online retailers (try hlj.com,1999.co.jp, amiami.com, etc).

IMO Hasegawa offers most aircraft-like details (most of their kits are fighter mode only), with sharp leading and trailing edges. Bandai ones are snap-click type and transformable, although the parts are a bit thick; they sacrifice a bit of details to enhance play-ability. Wave ones are like Hasegawa but they only make Battroid/Gerwalk modes.

AFAIK like the one I built above, in Hasegawa Macross kit the seamlines are simple and easy to tackle, and there are almost none between subassemblies.

I'm definitely building more after this first one! I'm planning to order the VF-0D and Sv-51 (this one is larger than MiG-31!)

Edited by solowing666
  • Like 1

That is rather nice Solowing, I have always wanted to build one of these since seeing it in Macross Plus. You could always say it was Isamu's busted up one from there? It does fight in an asteroid field in the start of the OVA after all ;)

I've got the VF-0D and VF-0S sitting at home (as well as a few other Valkyries). The VF-0D is a lovely model, I hope I can do it justice when I get around to building it someday. Do you know anywhere to buy the Elintseeker? Can't find that one anymore.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I've got the VF-0D and VF-0S sitting at home (as well as a few other Valkyries). The VF-0D is a lovely model, I hope I can do it justice when I get around to building it someday. Do you know anywhere to buy the Elintseeker? Can't find that one anymore.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I can't find it either, Dazz. It's listed as discontinued or sold out in HLJ and Hobby Search.

AFAIK (from those sites) Hasegawa often releases variants of particular kits once (in this case Macross) such as VF-0C (single-seater delta wings with more weapons), Sv-51 with boosters, ELINT Seeker, etc.

I fail to understand the logic behind this strategy; I can't think that the molding dies (for those additional parts) would wear out so quickly that Hasegawa can only release them once.

"Discontinued" usually just means "discontinued for the foreseeable future". I don't know about other companies, but both Bandai and Kotobukiya both do production runs every so often but Macross kits have been difficult to get hold of for the last year or so. We've had Macross Frontier kits on order for ages.

Both Wave and Hasegawa do non-transforming kits of both Valkyries and Battroids, but Wave kits can combine the Valkyrie and Battroid kits to build the mech in Gerwalk mode, while Hasegawa do separate kits for Gerwalks.

Bandai kits transform - and very nicely too!

• Like 1

I can't find it either, Dazz. It's listed as discontinued or sold out in HLJ and Hobby Search.

AFAIK (from those sites) Hasegawa often releases variants of particular kits once (in this case Macross) such as VF-0C (single-seater delta wings with more weapons), Sv-51 with boosters, ELINT Seeker, etc.

I fail to understand the logic behind this strategy; I can't think that the molding dies (for those additional parts) would wear out so quickly that Hasegawa can only release them once.

"Discontinued" usually just means "discontinued for the foreseeable future". I don't know about other companies, but both Bandai and Kotobukiya both do production runs every so often but Macross kits have been difficult to get hold of for the last year or so. We've had Macross Frontier kits on order for ages.

Both Wave and Hasegawa do non-transforming kits of both Valkyries and Battroids, but Wave kits can combine the Valkyrie and Battroid kits to build the mech in Gerwalk mode, while Hasegawa do separate kits for Gerwalks.

Bandai kits transform - and very nicely too!

I've not be able to find it at all in the 12 years or so time frame that I have been importing stuff from Japan. I saw it once on HLJ and just thought "I'll get it later" and that was it, never saw it again. I'm sure there was an VF-11 AWACS version (it's real name escapes me now), never seen that one either. I got the RVF-25 Messiah tho, really looking forward to seeing that one.

Shane, I've never seen Hasegawa do any other production runs except for the initial ones on any models... oh no wait I have, the Macross weapons set. That could be a reason why their prices are so god damn high? For example, the PumpkinFace F-14D from Ace Combat is £59.99 at the big H, but I got it for £12-ish from HLJ... crazy crazy prices! Would you happen to know if the same is true for Fujimi/Aoshima or Tamiya? A mate of mine has started to build cars now, but he can't find his car nor wheels in model form. Apparently they did exist, but have all sold out...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I've not be able to find it at all in the 12 years or so time frame that I have been importing stuff from Japan. I saw it once on HLJ and just thought "I'll get it later" and that was it, never saw it again. I'm sure there was an VF-11 AWACS version (it's real name escapes me now), never seen that one either. I got the RVF-25 Messiah tho, really looking forward to seeing that one.

Dazz

I believe it's this: http://hlj.com/product/HSG65822/Sci(VE-11 Thunderseeker), Dazz...

Btw is your RVF-25 Bandai's or Hasegawa's? I'm waiting for Hasegawa to make its Ghost drones.

I totally missed out on their VF-0A/S with Ghost, I mean, I wasn't doing real model kits with glue and paints back then...

That's the one solowing! I might have to order some soon. I found some on ebay for £26-ish which isn't too bad I guess. I had a look for the VF-0A/S with the Ghosts... bloody hell, they are fetching a pretty penny! The RVF-25 I have got is this one.

15757153758_09eebde80d_z.jpg

I've still got to watch Macross Frontier actually. I started and thats as far as it got.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

That's so cool, I love how smart the grey scheme is and your paint job suits the aggressive lines very well. Would make a quite believable near-future fighter.

Will

• Like 1

Your VF-11 is stunning

Love the weathering on wings, really inspire me :)

I can say Hasegawa's kit is improved a lot since their first VF-1 kit (actually Super VF-1 kit has some minor assembly issues)

Now, the recent VF-25 is just WOW, this is what Macross VF should be. very details and hold firmly.

I love Macross kits and I'm planning to build the SDF-1 very soon

btw I have pre-ordered the attack mode on HLJ :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Anyone looking for the discontinued kits like the Elintseeker, try Yahoo Auctions Japan. I use it with a Proxy buying service called Buyee and have every single 1/72 Hasegawa Macross Fighter kit ever produced so far. 3 very large plastic tubs full of boxed kits to build. The prices can be silly cheap and the cheapest freight option still arrives to New Zealand within 2 weeks.

The Macross Zero kits are being re-released in about 3 weeks too.

The Buyee site allows you to view the Japanese auctions in English but it helps to know the Kanji needed to search for items.

If you need a hand with that I have a file filled with the Kanji for all the Macross models, makers, decals, carrier deck display bases and ground crew searches I use on their site to find stuff and their English translations.