Phantom FGR.2 19 Squadron 1983. RAF Wildenrath, W.Germany

Lovely job. Looking forward to this one.

I was on 19(F) 86 to 89. Good to see one of the old jets again.

Woooooh there fella, just hold onto your Dolphins there for a minute.

I was at Wildenrath 86-89, on the Queens Finest Fantom Squadron, 19(F), 87-89 working in HES 27.

Cyprus APC, Decci DACT, Valley MPC, the singlies Block Bar along with its Annual BBQ, Red Flag, Subbuteo league, the Phantom that had the Nav bang out because it was so close to the Canberra coming out of the cloud, Ali McKay Super Station Commander, Merv Sadler Top Gun. Malesh & Las Palmas neighbouring nightclubs, the Mally......

We need to talk, I would suggest we knew each other 'back in the day'.

And the jets weren't often as clean as #5 were they :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Finished the main paint, which this time I have used Tamiya Royal Light Grey aerosol (TS-81) which is a good barley grey and I will report on how close it is to Humbrol 167 once I get some klear over it ready for decals.

I also think that Humbrol 64 aerosol is looking darker than it used to, maybe a duff batch. It'll be okay.

However once I removed all the masking from the canopy the seats looked far too low.

Damn.

So I had to remove the canopy and glue some plasticard underneath to raise them up to the correct height.

The Quickboost seats look good but they now seem quite high in the cockpit.

So I may not bother in future. Anyway I now have a set of seats which allow the aircrew to see out and will be painting the replacment canopy tomorrow.

Pics coming.

• Like 1

You could remove the plasticard? :)

Ahh, phrased that badly. Once I removed the masking the seats looked very low indeed. So I had to remove them and then get the seats out and build up the bases with plasticard.

Ok now.

It appears though that the quickboost seats are a little short in the seat back compared to the kit seats.

I would throw up a pic of one of mine, but I suspect you have enough Hasegawa/Revell reference material there? ;)

Ummmm, yeah.

And there is the third option of the white metal seats from the 'Hi-grade' kit.

Not very. That's why I am using the Quickboost ones. May give them a shot on the next one though.

image_113.jpeg

It is very apparent when the missiles are in my 'Patented' missile spray jig just how heavily armed the FGR.2 was!

Tamiya TS-81 Royal Light Grey on the part built Phantom,

Humbrol 167 Barley Grey enamel on the 56 Squadron Phantom.

The enamel is thinned about 67/33 % paint to humbrol enamel thinners and airbrushed.

I think it is close enough, they look closer in the flesh. A little 'greener' but not unrealistic?

Looking at colour pictures of the real thing is not helpful as lighting conditions, filters and film can change subtle greys so much.

What do you think?

image_114.jpeg

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 6

Fantastic stuff, really coming along now

I have to make progress when I can, back to sea tomorrow for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

At least you have an excuse, mine will most likely not be much further along by the time you get back!

• Like 1

Meh. I thought you banged these things out one per week. Youre slacking!

• Like 1

That was an exceptional circumstance. Was stuck in the house for a month with the Mrs.

Moral support & all that. :-D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right, back home and have done very little I am afraid to admit.

Easy & fun decals on, years ago is would have been it!

image_123.jpeg

• Like 2

Hell of a difference between your colours and the box art.... ;)

Very cleanly done. one for the collection there. Hope those non-red aux intakes are staying closed......

In all seriousness, were the top side grey really that different? It looks odd to me, just me, no harm meant.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Hell of a difference between your colours and the box art.... ;)

Very cleanly done. one for the collection there. Hope those non-red aux intakes are staying closed......

In all seriousness, were the top side grey really that different? It looks odd to me, just me, no harm meant.

Box art, the image has a very 'kodachrome' colour wash to it. However I do take your point on the uppser wing surfaces. Most sources suggest a medium sea grey. However pictures of them show anywhere between same colour as the fuselage and a darker grey, more like dark sea grey. Radomes suffer the same in pictures.

I have taken the attitude that if you pick something stick to it, so I use Barley grey for the fusealge, outer wings and radome & dark sea grey for the upper wings. Some colour variance is acheived on the radome by using halfords grey primer for the fuselage and white for the radome.

Aux intakes are red on the inside of the doors, black in the hole. Will be left open but only just slightly ajar.

No offence. Life is too short. :-D