Mr Hobby, I can't read Japanese - mr color vs acrylic varnish

Mountain goat

Hi,

Quick question regarding varnishes for the Gunzeheads out there, as I haven't found an answer online:

Backstory first: I used decanted Mr Top Coat thinned with a little Levelling Thinner through my airbrush last week, and after a standard clean up and a couple of days used the same airbrush with Super clear II (Mr Color CL184) from a jar, again thinned with LT. Soon the super clear turned into sticky goo. The spray job was put on hold so no dramas there. Anyway, I suspect the goo is a reaction of the lacquer based Super clear II to the acrylic Mr Top Coat that still lurked in the nooks and crannies of the airbrush's innards.

So I wonder then: is there a definitive inventory out there as to which Gunze varnish and filler products 'like' each other and which ones will 'bite', or which ones are lacquer and which acrylic (aside from the paint coding system)? There's lots of info on the labels of the jars and spray cans, but it's all in Japanese. And my Translate app doesn't read Japanese yet.

Thanks, Jay

I've never used (or seen for that matter) the Mr Top Coat however I stopped using the aqueous Mr Hobby clear coats as I found they wouldn't dry particularly well for me. I normally use either the Super Clear GX100 or decanted Mr Super Clear UV Cut (all thinned with the Levelling thinners) and have had no reaction to anything with either of them. I have used the C184 and the semi flat and flat versions too with no reaction to anything either.

Sorry, not much help really :shrug: .

Duncan B

• Like 1

For the sake of debate I offer this :- Mr.Color is Lacquer based, don't mix it with Mr.Hobby, which is Acrylic based. "Varnish" is a quaint term from the era of Quill pens or something, it is top coat clear. I offer this as a Spray-painter in Aviation and Defence Industies, (retired), not to inflame the discussion, but to encourage debate. The Gunze-Sangyo products are to paint what Tamiya is to Models, in my Humble Opinion. When I say "don't mix them" - You actually can top coat one with the other, as long as the initial paint is completely dry, and you apply each coat lightly, patience is a virtue....... Hope this doesn't sound condescending at all, it's just that I see this one crop up quite often....! : -)

• Like 3

I've never used (or seen for that matter) the Mr Top Coat however I stopped using the aqueous Mr Hobby clear coats as I found they wouldn't dry particularly well for me. I normally use either the Super Clear GX100 or decanted Mr Super Clear UV Cut (all thinned with the Levelling thinners) and have had no reaction to anything with either of them. I have used the C184 and the semi flat and flat versions too with no reaction to anything either.

Sorry, not much help really :shrug: .

Duncan B

No no, quite some help actually - I might have to look into a similar strategy.

To my knowledge apart from their aqueous , top coat and acrysion line everything else is cellulose based.

Thanks! More simple than I thought then.

Jay

For the sake of debate I offer this :- Mr.Color is Lacquer based, don't mix it with Mr.Hobby, which is Acrylic based. "Varnish" is a quaint term from the era of Quill pens or something, it is top coat clear. I offer this as a Spray-painter in Aviation and Defence Industies, (retired), not to inflame the discussion, but to encourage debate. The Gunze-Sangyo products are to paint what Tamiya is to Models, in my Humble Opinion. When I say "don't mix them" - You actually can top coat one with the other, as long as the initial paint is completely dry, and you apply each coat lightly, patience is a virtue....... Hope this doesn't sound condescending at all, it's just that I see this one crop up quite often....! : -)

Thanks. You didn't sound condescending at all - feedback is much appreciated!

Jay

Sound and sensibly information from Rod and I have to agree about the quality of Gunze-Sangyo products including their paint, by far my most favourite paints although my recent experience of Mr Paint from Slovakia would suggest that Gunze now have a fight on their hands.

Duncan B