Flakpanzer Gepard - 1/35 Tamiya - Hind Hunter

I am entering a Tamiya 1/35 Flakpanzer Gepard for this GB.

I have a huge interest in theCold War and I'm itching to build some armour so I am really looking forward to this one.

The Flakpanzer Gepard was a Self Propelled Anti Aircraft Gun (SPAAG) mounted on a Leopard tank chasis. It was produced by Germany to counter soviet rotary aircraft. It was utilised by a number of nations, however I will be modelling it as a German Bundeswehr system.

The kit is in the standard Tamiya format, with dark green plastic and fairly well detailed.

d863056e95d5ed07f0cd4498bb46cf1f_zpsz5im

b3a63e4a3b6898c77fb5556f15cc1c5c_zpsvb4f

21fa393f47f2bf445709edcf26571ff3_zpsiqdn

5cdcac4d04fde29a15ebaa6ad69102c6_zps4arr

06b11ae1d032e7200b320c8acd9cf2e4_zpsxukf

• Like 7

Nice choice. I do like these - I had a diecast one as a kid and it was always my favourite for blasting at everything else and was always the sole survivor of duvet conflicts. :)

Will keep an eye on this. The interesting armour in this GB has rekindled a bit of love.

• Like 1

I was toying with the idea of making this myself. But I'm not 100% on the time frame. I will be keeping a very keen eye on this build. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Glad to have you along for the ride, hopefully I will inspire you to start yours!

Nice choice. I do like these - I had a diecast one as a kid and it was always my favourite for blasting at everything else and was always the sole survivor of duvet conflicts. :)

Will keep an eye on this. The interesting armour in this GB has rekindled a bit of love.

They look pretty mean don't they? I don't think a helicopter would stand a chance with those guns spewing out a sky full of hot metal.

• Like 1

I managed to get an hour at the bench today so I lifted the lid on this one. Not a great deal to report, just a start on the lower hull and wheels. Hopefully I will get a bit more done tomorrow and some pictures.

Glad to have a few of you lot along for the journey! As usual I might as for some advice for the armour builders.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. My time on this one has been a bit fragmented and I was fitting it in around other builds. It's now the only thing on my bench so hopefully I can now focus on it.

Here's where I at so far

249b5dc52674255784f21ea7657f8c7f_zpsw8zr

13323ae1d1ab6b4e687071ede71e9048_zpsnjpo

• Like 2

bfc0940baa390834fb50aa89d350bc3e_zpsiodn

bb58bc78f5d0946fe293954227a4cd81_zpszcyp

As you can see the primer is down. Everything looks so much better once it's primed! That scratchy dark green plastic is horrible.

I am contemplating trying the Black and White technique on this, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing though so it could get interesting.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cliff.

I've put a layer off varnish over the model today. This will be a good surface for the few decals that the kit has. It will also protect the paint work when I come to start the weathering.

I also made a start on the tracks. I'm sticking with the kit supplied tracks. I've sprayed them to dull the silver back, and I've painted the track pads...every...single..one.

• Like 1

Making good process on this one. The wheels and tracks are now on. As are the decals, which was enjoyable as there was only about 6 as apposed to the 600 I'm used to as an aircraft modeller.

16573855058bfb8d78bb9f72e7e01f8c_zpsakxp

Up next will be weathering, something which I'm a bit nervous about.

• Like 5

Now that is superb fella , really nice build chap.

Just for your info, I don't think the Germans fitted the side skirts on to these tracks if they did it was rare.

Dan

Thanks again Dan. Now that you mention that about the side skirts, I think I may have read about that before, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

That's a cracker, I'm really glad to see this one being built.

I always fancied building one of these.

Out of interest did these actually work in rear life, they look the business, but guns against missiles ?

Cheers Pat

That's a cracker, I'm really glad to see this one being built.

I always fancied building one of these.

Out of interest did these actually work in rear life, they look the business, but guns against missiles ?

Cheers Pat

I don't think they were ever fired in anger. However from what I've been reading they were a fairly good system. I think the length of service with the Bundeswehr backs that up, as they were designed in the 1960s and only very recently retired. They were then sold on to Brazil, Chilie, Romania and Jordan. The Dutch and Belgian armies also fielded them.

• Like 1

That's me finished. Photos are up in the Gallery, I'll stick them in here too in case you miss them.

Thanks for everyone who has commented or helped along the way, as always this is very much appreciated. I have once again enjoyed the move over to the dark side and dabbling in a bit of armour.

Cheers!

56ebfd15efddefcff42e31e02a152c5b_zpsep9k

4551cabf467fa54fd1ee5d6de20c1d23_zpsvv88

059dac228993745b76f3970ebd39a497_zps2eba

c3ba7eab38b2ac2af93e59c71d856457_zpsfqhe

• Like 9