ICM Ju 88 A-5 issues at a glance

Aims

Hi Everyone,

I picked up an ICM Ju 88 A-5 at the weekend and without wanting to sound overly negative I thought I would share some thoughts upon opening the box aimed at those who want to make it OTB. I have naturally started making some correction parts and I am currently checking to see if my masters for my Dragon Ju 88 A-4 to a-1 conversion can be used for the ICM kit.

First up the early B- Stand clear part - ICM have a straight frame in between the two weapons instead of triangular bracing like Falcon have it on their Vacform designed for the Dragon kits. As for the windows in the back of the latter A-4 style B Stand - yes many A-5s had them but they normally had an angular window as per the way ICM have provided it on one of the C Stand crew entry hatches

Perhaps the most glaring omission has to be the lack of crew-station platform. It has been a long time since anyone brought out a Ju 88 without one, it is not good enough to just plonk the seats down at floor level when Revell can do it right in 1/72nd. Here is a pic of the instructions followed by a pick of the Revell 1/32 side wall to give you an idea of the different heights of the platform, in the background is the amazing Aires resin cockpit part in question

ICM%20early%20B%20satnd_zpsyelj93h5.jpgFalcon%20early%20B%20stand_zpss5rhpdsk.jA-4%20style%20windows_zps422ilfdp.jpg

Perhaps the most glaring omission has to be the lack of crew-station platform. It has been a long time since anyone brought out a Ju 88 without one, it is not good enough to just plonk the seats down at floor level when Revell can do it right in 1/72nd. Here is a pic of the instructions followed by a pick of the Revell 1/32 side wall to give you an idea of the different heights of the platform, in the background is the amazing Aires resin cockpit part in question

ICM%20crew%20platform_zpsqulqugvz.jpgRevell%20and%20%20Aires%20crew%20platfor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well back again after normal Hungarian power cut without warning.......When it comes to the ICM engines there are a number of glaring mistakes. The face of the radiator has cut outs for airflow to the exhausts , it is solid in the kit. The exhaust detail itself and the hot air ports behind the engine are as per the Jumo 211 J on the Ju 88 A-4. Notice the difference between the ICM detail and the Revell 1/32 A-1 kit part for the hot air exhaust port. Notice also how ICM have made the engine and gear bay flush. it looks terrible!

AIMS%20and%20ICM%20radiator%20face_zpsxpICM%20A%20engine%20flush%20wih%20gear%20Revell%20hot%20air%20exhaust%20ports_zps20160421_144816_zpsnajtf2vl.jpgengine%20gear%20bay%20gap_zpsvqwrkjzb.jp

I am curious how the model will look but the oleo legs look a little squat to me? As for the framework they sit on - they are better than what Dragon did but not correct, those boxes at the rear should only be brackets with a wall travelling between them, not the differences between ICM kit and Revell 1/32 Ju 88

too%20squat_zpsyyotxny9.jpgReveoleo%20legs_zpswovd9svo.jpgICM%20UC%20framework_zpsxhxr8bw2.jpgRevell%20uc%20framework_zpsbhqi3ri0.jpg

ETC racks are interesting, ICM have them both with a sharp contour when only the outer one should be like this, Revell's 1/32 Ju 88 A-4 kit goes the other way with the outer one being too curved but only a little

20160421_144912_zpsed7sumb6.jpgICM%20ETC%20racks_zpsivocukt0.jpgRevell%20ETC%20racks_zpskzt7n7dn.jpg

Panel lines? Well a few interesting things and a few bizarre things. ICM are not the first company to get vertical stabilizer panel line wrong - the Revell Ju 88 A-1 kit did the same but they got it right for the A-4 kit. As for the inspection hatch forward of the fuselage fuel bay - what have they done? No one has ever done this before? Also note that in real life the lower skin in not a complete cut out underneath the gondola.

incorrect%20iCM%20stabilizer%20details_zRevell%20vertical%20stabilizers_zpstybrtwhat%20it%20that%20inspection%20hatch_zpreal%20inspection%20hatch_zpsjv9qapik.jp

If you are planning on using the kit decals just be aware that the 'S' of F1+AS should be a little different and that on the option for L1+GN some of its sister machines had the RLM 70/71 scalloped onto both the sides of the gondola, it is out of view in the photo of this machine.

ICM%20F1AS%20with%20wider%20s_zpsxevd9kwICM%20L1GN%20with%20missing%2070%2071%20

It is kind of disappointing, I had a look at one at my local hobbyshop, and decided to stick with my Dragon kits. Not enough of an improvement to justify the required work.

These all look to be very easy fixes, with the exception of the contour from engine to undercarriage door which will need a little imagination but in typing this I have thought of a way to tackle mine when I get round to it.

Aims - for someone who wasn't "...wanting to sound overly negative..." you sure did a good job of sounding so.

Was there anything in the kit to be positive about?

I realize that you started the thread to talk about the innacurracies of the kit, but is there anything good a modeller of limited ability, like myself, can take away from this kit?

Edited by DennisTheBear

Just a few more things to look out for - and may I just say how you build a model - no matter what your experience is up to you - I am just pointing out things based on real aircraft and other models so that you can make your own decision about what to do with the details in question - nothing more.The Ju 88 is my core business, I wanted this kit to be great just as much as anybody else. It is not - not by a long way but that it my opinion and I am trying to show you why. I would still buy another and make the changes needed.

Regarding earlier post about oleo legs being too squat - they are not it is just the lower half is too wide - it should be a little thinner than the top section which makes the whole thing look a bit odd.

Well not only have ICM provided a fantasy 1 level floor - they have the rear section 3mm too far over to the right side. I also spotted that they have added a control cable inspection panel to the right side to mirror the left side - it is only on the left! No one else has ever made that mistake also.The hinge line for the outer bomb bay doors have also not been added.

20160422_174601_zpscatm225l.jpg20160422_174816_zpsb2dfwoka.jpg20160424_123429_zpspnym3rne.jpg

Having built this kit I can say watch out for the fit of the transparencies - especially the small Windows around the nose & the gondola - not good. Also IMHO it is NEVER a good idea for manufacturers to provide clear parts that require joining together as ICM do here with the main cockpit glazing. I know WHY they do it (reduced tooling costs as opposed to providing complete, one piece alternative parts) but I & I am sure other modellers always end up making a pigs ear of it! Also ditch the decals!

Edited by Graham T

Aims - for someone who wasn't "...wanting to sound overly negative..." you sure did a good job of sounding so.

Was there anything in the kit to be positive about?

I realize that you started the thread to talk about the innacurracies of the kit, but is there anything good a modeller of limited ability, like myself, can take away from this kit?

If you can use a razor saw, scalpel, filler and a sanding stick the kit is fine. Panel lines / hatches etc - total non-issue for all but the most novice modellers IMHO - just fill them in and carry on. For the canopy frame, just sand it off with fine grade and polish up. Once clear again replace frames with 10thou plasticard strip. Undercarriage legs are easily corrected, if you want to, with a drill bit and brass tube.

Cockpit floors are simple to adjust with plasticard and a razor saw.

The cowling contours are the hardest thing to correct, but not insurmountable.

It's good that inaccuracies are established where they exist, but these kits are low cost, nicely detailed and generally fit well. If you want a Ju88 in 1/48, it's the best going. If the inaccuracies bother you, correct them. If they bother you and you can't correct them, don't build a Ju88.

• Like 1

...don't build a Ju88.

Everybody needs to build a Ju 88 once in a while, and when better than now? We have already 30+ participants signed in the Ju 88 STGB and the more the merrier, welcome aboard! Regards, V-P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone, I put my ICM kit together last week and enjoyed the build very much, just a few more issues to point out so that you can fix them if you so desire. When building you often notice things that you could not when all the parts are in the box and indeed there are more things to be corrected or added. The gear bays are too rounded and should be flatter as per Dragon 1/48 kits and Revell 1/72 and 1/32 kits. This has the knock on effect of have a slight arch in the gear bay cut out instead of straight sides for the hinged doors. No door actuators are provided. There is also no actuator for the Gondola hatch / bola.

20160906_131805_zpspq7hynfj.jpg

Also missing is a crew ladder, fuel dump outlets and locking arm for forward facing MG 15. And finally the aileron actuators are 1/72 scale instead of 1/48. I only point these things out for the sake of sharing, I loved putting this kit together, I think it goes together very well and the soft plastic is a joy to work with. As a kit it is just inconsistent throughout - you have a 5 piece construction of the radio operators seat with amazing detail - sat on just a slab of plastic at the lowest level of the cockpit floor - you have amazing engines hiding behind radiator faces with next to no detail on engines that just blend into the gear bay. It is all very strange but I also note that in my opinion the clear parts quality and how they have been designed to kit to the cockpit is actually superior then the Revell 1/32 kit. Anyway that is all I have to say - I will be buying another one asap

20160906_131710_zpsf29siygw.jpg20160906_131700_zps6bczbuzz.jpg20160906_131609_zpsodthmxo1.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Exdraken,

ICM A-4 has an additional issue with incorrect engine gondolas (lower bulges).

Vector makes the correction in resin, but reportedly the announced Revell Germany re-issue will have revised parts.

Vedran

thanks!

already have the ICM one, but was not aware off all this issues!

maybe it was better so.... now I feel the need to address them.... :( or sell it and wait for the new boxings? 

• 1 year later...

Hello all

..."but reportedly the announced Revell Germany re-issue will have revised parts"...

Here are some pics of the sprue in question (?)...this is Revell's A4 model that I bought a week ago. Since I am no JU88 expert it would be nice if those who are could comment and if needed point out issues and the solution

thanks

Uwe

20181218-202601.jpg

20181218-202608.jpg

20181218-202625.jpg

20181218-202648.jpg

20181218-202708.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello again

Meanwhile I also have a Dragon A-4 and I can clearly see the issue with the engine gondolas and the missing opening behind the radiator on the ICM kit...difficult to scratch as well. I had a look at the Vector offering and I wonder if those are just a re-cast of the Dragon parts? Given the relatively high price for the set and the now dropped price for a Dragon Ju88 I am thinking if slaughtering a Dragon/old Revell kit would not be the cheaper way...and you get the cockpit floor fixed as well. Cheapest Dragon kit offered right now here in Germany is 28EUR...the Vector engines are 10EUR more!

cheers

Uwe