Figures are amazing as usual....

It cant have been the most "comfortable or practical" uniform for a Tank crew, must have been a bugger to keep clean, mind you, the leather overcoat would have been useful in the winter, but on the bright side it beats a set of covvies and "crisp packet waterproofs ( if you were lucky)!"

Nick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Widow 65 said:

Figures are amazing as usual....

It cant have been the most "comfortable or practical" uniform for a Tank crew, must have been a bugger to keep clean, mind you, the leather overcoat would have been useful in the winter, but on the bright side it beats a set of covvies and "crisp packet waterproofs ( if you were lucky)!"

Nick

Cheers Nick,

One thing that I find amazing is that these guys didn't wear any head protection at all, the early war panzer crew berets were had at least a hidden hard cap, closed down in combat but wearing a soft cap must of been panzer rash zentrum for these guys. Some nasty head wounds from just cross country driving must of been very common let alone the combat time that these guys endured daily. 

I've seen some nasty injuries in piecetime with colleagues wearing crew helmets so it really does make you wonder how these guys managed.

Dan 

• Like 1

Awesome work Dan, black's just about the hardest 'colour' to shade convincingly and you've done a masterful job.  :coolio:

PS - Thanks for the linky.....There's no such thing as 'never' when it comes to WWII!  ;)

PPS - There's some info about Jagdtigers from s.Pz.Jg.Abt 653 that were attached to SS units here:  https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eONpj6gjD1UC&pg=PA278&lpg=PA278&dq=SS+jagdtiger&source=bl&ots=Zd806PEW91&sig=T2UF025Ly7w7-t5A7fS9Yrw7bho&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizrNPNpvfPAhWHCcAKHX7qBKoQ6AEIUTAJ#v=onepage&q=SS jagdtiger&f=false

• Like 1

Thanks for the great comments everybody :)

Figures were my nemesis for years, I would rarely use them a few years ago as I felt that my painting was not up to the mark, they detracted from my builds to much. 

I'm self taught 100%, I've stripped and repainted so many times before I became happy with the quality and even now I feel I can do much better at it. 

A few years ago I made the decision to really give them a go and started to seriously paint them, not stopping until the figures would complement the tank or vehicle that I was displaying. Several books purchased and hundreds of hours researching on the internet got me to where I am now. It's taken a while and trial and error was always my key word when it came to painting faces. 

The internet has been my biggest tool in the steep learning curve in getting the figure looking just right. 

To me its now part part of the build, my figures although don't stand up to the competition standards that I would like to achieve are good enough to add to the display for a diorama or a standalone vehicle. They after each one get slightly better so I must be moving in the right direction :) 

Never be afraid to have a go, what's the worse that can happen... a strip down and repaint? 

Sarge, nice find on the extract of the War diaries that you found, it really does paint a picture of desperation for the German forces towards the end of the war, all very frightening indeed when you think some of these crews had only just left school. 

I served in Armoured Unit, my first unit I was only at the age of 17, thinking back now it's frightening that if we really went to war how many of my comrades and myself would of survived the first contact with the enemy?  Not too many I fear. 

I have ultimate respect for all tank crews no matter what country they served under or what theatre they served in, to go into action you really do have to have "balls of steel " 

P1090714

P1090713

P1090712

P1090711

P1090710

P1090709

P1090708

P1090707

P1090706

P1090705

Dan 

• Like 5

Those figures look fantastic Dan and certainly bring the Jagdtiger to life. The faces in particular are very well done. I'm still in the 'my figures are crap so I won't bother stage'. I want to do a figure to go with my tiger II so this will be a very good reference on how to do it. What colours do you use for the flesh tones, do you mix them to what you want as you go?  

3 hours ago, Matt182 said:

Those figures look fantastic Dan and certainly bring the Jagdtiger to life. The faces in particular are very well done. I'm still in the 'my figures are crap so I won't bother stage'. I want to do a figure to go with my tiger II so this will be a very good reference on how to do it. What colours do you use for the flesh tones, do you mix them to what you want as you go?  

Hi Matt,

Over the years I bought various paints and flesh tone oils, I've now settled on the AK Interactive flesh tone set , it's a really good set of 6 tones. Be aware that it does take a bit of getting used to at the beginning ,I stripped loads of faces as I was getting a chalky finish to them to start with but I found that thinning them with the clear Vallejo thinners was the key, stick with it and you'll be fine :) 

As for the uniforms I use the Vallejo Panzer aces colours for black uniforms as a base and custom mix pure black and beige to darken further or to lighten. 

HTH 

Dan 

Cheers Chaps,

Third crew member the Driver coming along now, most of the decals are on.

P1040581_zpsd0jzpgxk.jpg

P1040583_zpsaozq72tl.jpg

P1040578_zps7sxvsrsh.jpg

P1040579_zpsohdahccb.jpg

I need to get some matt varnish on the other two guys and wire up the coms stuff and they are done.

Dan

• Like 4

Awesome work!! 

Now you've put the figures in its reminded me I really ought to paint up and fit the crew to mine, it's one thing I'm really bad for, not putting at least 1 crewman with my models, I'm normally in such a rush to get onto the next project, but a nice figure really does add a little something to a vehicle

• Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, Dads203 said:

I served in Armoured Unit, my first unit I was only at the age of 17, thinking back now it's frightening that if we really went to war how many of my comrades and myself would of survived the first contact with the enemy?  Not too many I fear. 

I have ultimate respect for all tank crews no matter what country they served under or what theatre they served in, to go into action you really do have to have "balls of steel " 

Have you read Bob Forrest-Webb's book "Chieftains" - a very thought provoking description of armoured warfare between NATO and Warsaw Pact forces. 

18866718._UY460_SS460_.jpg

• Like 1

So crew are now finished, headsets and mic's are now wired. At least these guys have IC coms and a radio to listen to.

P1040607_zpstfbnstzp.jpg

P1040604_zpsgdnf7ln0.jpg

P1040605_zpsg40rae5i.jpg

P1040606_zpsw8zvgvjq.jpg

Combat bucket next to hang on the back :frantic:

As for the next project It's looking like a Sea King in 72nd scale and after that I have

a feeling its going to be a M10 tank destroyer, it was a gift from Longshanks and it keeps popping up to

the top of the build pile.  After that and once we have moved house I have a urge to build the Accurate Armour MK10

Chieftain or the Bridgelayer conversion.  

Cheers

Dan

• Like 5