So the next project, this has been sitting around my workshop

for about 5 years, I started it but never finished it, like so many things

in my life :)

Lets have another crack at it then, see if I can finish this time.

So Eduard PE set, Modelkasten spare tracks , fruil tracks and a corrected Armour Scale barrel.

P1030778_zps5xqcc1vc.jpg

P1030779_zps8euqfcan.jpg

P1030782_zpsctq2qb7p.jpg

P1030781_zps0edibuia.jpg

P1030780_zpsxr5usjuy.jpg

P1030785_zpsb0a7wmid.jpg

P1030786_zpscxmcjyss.jpg

More later.

Dan

• Like 11

Quite a lot already built so you are off to a good start here Dan. It's the same JT I have in my stash. I noticed the Modelkasten spare tracks. Will you be upgrading the the kit tracks with Modelkasten tracks too? Also curious if this is the correct length barrel or still the OOB one.

Quite a lot already built so you are off to a good start here Dan. It's the same JT I have in my stash. I noticed the Modelkasten spare tracks. Will you be upgrading the the kit tracks with Modelkasten tracks too? Also curious if this is the correct length barrel or still the OOB one.

Going to use some fruil tracks for this build Julian as the Modelkasten tracks are really hard to get hold of, I have found

Some Modelkasten tracks on Amazon for about £37 delivered from Japan but I'm not going to wait.

Don't know why the Modelkasten tracks are so hard to find in the UK, I thought Hannants were the importers ?

Rumour has it that Modelkasten had almost folded and that is why they were not available here? I bought the spare

Links from hannants about 12 years ago so they have been in the stash for a while now, I do have 3 King tigers in the stash

So they were probably bought for one of those kits.

The barrel is the correct length from Armourscale, I think it's the only barrel which is correct for this kit , I'll post up the pictures later to show a comparison.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

Kit Barrel and the Armourscale barrel, kit barrel is the top one.

The difference in length is due to Dragon measuring up the Aberdeen Proving ground

example that had the main gun spiked by its crew.

I think the new Tamiya kit is fine in this department and they measured the barrel from a different vehicle.

CIMG3680_zps890810ae.jpg

CIMG3681_zps71729d9c.jpg

The correct taper on the gun mantlet on the Armourscale version and the nice resin mantlet.

CIMG3684_zpsebada7ff.jpg

CIMG3682_zps475e0028.jpg

Hope this proves to be of some use to some of you.

Dan

• Like 5

Very much so Dan, thanks. The difference in length isn't as big as I had expected though.

You could probably make up the difference with some plastic tubing TBH, bought the barrel as it was cheap

at the time :)

• Like 1

Picture of one of the three surviving Jagdtiger guns,

This is the one that Dragon measured up.

You can see the gun is in full recoil.

jagdtiger20gun_zpslo2xvchu.jpg

Can't take credit for the photo, its one I found years ago on the net whilst I was researching

the kit.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Picture of one of the three surviving Jagdtiger guns,

This is the one that Dragon measured up.

You can see the gun is in full recoil.

jagdtiger20gun_zpslo2xvchu.jpg

Can't take credit for the photo, its one I found years ago on the net whilst I was researching

the kit.

Regards

Dan

THUD! must have been quite a bang (Fnar Fnar!) :winkgrin:

A bit more work done this afternoon.

Interior is just painted black, I'm not going to open the rear turret

doors so I just want a dark looking interior. I'll add some crew so they will fill

the hatch opening.

Some PE work on the rear engine deck.

P1030792_zpsiga5xg49.jpg

Clear scopes masked up

P1030788_zpsj8v6apq1.jpg

P1030787_zpspqwdjftf.jpg

4 lifting lugs added to the front crew deck, these are missing from the kit so I have modified some

I had for a Pz III, they are nice little resin parts but suitable for this build.

P1030793_zpsuzqjibdk.jpg

P1030789_zpsveq8wzqr.jpg

cheers for looking in

Dan

• Like 8

Nice work Dan. I see you masked off the periscope lenses. Were the lenses tinted? There are several transparent "periscope lens" colours circulating varying from green to a nearly opaque blue colour. I read somewhere that the colour on lenses didn't really appear until well after the war due to all sorts of coatings that are applied on the lenses nowadays. The AFV sight sells tinted lenses for the 1/16th King Tiger though so there would appear to be some differences of opinion on this subject.

Cheers chaps,

As for the scopes I'm just just going to add a drop of mig ammo crystal green to replicate the armoured glass, I'm not sure if the Germans fitted armoured glass in the scopes so it's a bit of artistic licence is going to be used :)

I've been track bashing the fruil tracks, they are going to take a while to get done.

Regards

Dan

• Like 2

Been there, done that :winkgrin: Friuls look lovely when finished and fitted. It's trimming the wire track pins, counting the links and trying not to glue them solid with CA that drives you nuts.

You have my sympathies Dan, won't be so mean as to say have fun :bleh::frantic::bleh::winkgrin:

P.s. the green tint sounds good, will try that.