Eduard Mig 21 PF now x 2

Hi Everyone

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring with an Eduard Mig 21 PF as one of the aircraft below, haven't decided yet? I've read that it's a good kit and builds up without to many troubles so hear we go!

I usually model ww2 era aircraft so thought this GB would be a good place to broaden my modelling horizons, and I've always liked the lines of the Mig 21.

image_zps4mdy4qer.jpeg

image_zpsndevf4og.jpeg

So with this in mind and being 4 decades out of my modelling comfort zone can some kind sole please advise on the correct colours for the kit. Cockpit and wheel wells mainly. I'm not sure if Eduard's colour call outs are correct or not, especially the colour that is meant to be the turquoise colour for the cockpit. And possibly recommend the colours and brands, preferably acrylic, too use?

Thanks in advance for the help, there will be allot more questions through this build.

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Like 2

Nice choice of subject James, which of the colour schemes takes your fancy?

As for paint colours I'm not sure which colour Eduard advise for the cockpit but they are painted in that god-awful turquoise colour meant to keep pilots feeling calm, the colours for the cockpit and for the outer camo are available from a company called Akan. They are acrylic and spray quite nicely, you can order them from a couple of internet traders and a well known auction site as well.

I look forward to watching your build come together.

Craig.

Hi Craig

Thanks for reply. I've head good things about Akan paints so may well go down that root. Are they water based or more down the Tamiya Gunze acrylic line?

I've also found that Mig Ammo do a turquoise interior colour which looks a decent match so will investigate that one further as to its sprayability. Your right it is a terrible colour! To be honest it sounds just like Vallejo.

As for colour schemes. I'm undecided as yet. They both appeal but the thought of masking those green areas on the camouflaged version is quite daunting and I do like an NMF so we'll see.

James

• Like 1

Hi James

I agree with Craig, AKAN are good paints, I have just used their Emerald Green on the interior of my Mig-21 and it matches the Eduard etch almost perfectly.

Simon

Thanks for reply. I've head good things about Akan paints so may well go down that root. Are they water based or more down the Tamiya Gunze acrylic line?

Water based, not like Vallejo and Revell aqua, but more like Modelmaster acryl and Xtracrylix.

Evening chaps

Decision made on the paint. As I'll probably end up doing the nmf colour option I don't really want to shell out for the Akan paint set. So I found a build on here and the modeller had used a 50/50 mix of Gunze h45 emerald green and h25 sky blue which looked spot on for the hideous unrelaxing colour that is Russian interior turquoise so that's the plan. Gunze are also my favoured paints when ever possible.

Hope to get cracking this weekend when I get the Airfix's Hurricane finished up, and if the kids sleep which is a bigger ask!!!

James

Welcome to the GB James. The Eduard MiG-21 is proving a popular option with good reason and I'm sure you'll enjoy this kit.

Hi Cliff

Its actually Polish, easy mistake! I thought I had decided on that one but the camouflaged Russian version keeps popping into my head.

James

• Like 1

Hi everyone

So some update photos at last!

I decided to start with the undercarriage bays to get my eye in. These were sprayed RLM 02, my own mix from tamiya paints. It seems odd spraying a German colour on a Russian plane but hey!

I then made up a wash of 50/50 Klear and water and added to this a drop each of of tamiya flat black and red brown. I've seen Brett Green use this mixture in other places and it works a treat. I guess you could tint it any colour you wanted. Has anyone else tried this?

Everything was then dry brushed lightly with white enamel and given a coat of tamiya flat clear. Pics below, now onto the jet pipe.

U/C bay roof first, nicely riveted.

image_zps7zxexpqd.jpeg

Main U/C doors

image_zps8ms5utej.jpeg

Front bay, not easy to photo, especially with an i pad

image_zpsovmf1qyf.jpeg

image_zpsjt7w0jwo.jpeg

Main wing section. Am I right in thinking those balls are compressed air caniseters?

image_zpsmzqul3mb.jpeg

Main bay.

image_zpsyykaf08d.jpeg

image_zpsggg5ab4t.jpeg

image_zpsab0cyedx.jpeg

Ans finally front U/C doors.

image_zpshddmdomg.jpeg

So I was having trouble deciding which scheme to use for this build, Soviet camoflauged or Polish NMF when one night last week I found myself scrolling through the available Overtrees kits on the Eduard website and what should appear but this very kit! Before I new it I found myself clicking on the add to cart button and the rest is as they say history. Said Overtrees haven't arrived yet but when they do 1 one Mig will become two! Hope I haven't bitten of more than I can chew but these things do happen!

So onwards and upwards, comments welcome, good and bad and constructive.

Thanks for looking

James

• Like 4

I then made up a wash of 50/50 Klear and water and added to this a drop each of of tamiya flat black and red brown. I've seen Brett Green use this mixture in other places and it works a treat. I guess you could tint it any colour you wanted. Has anyone else tried this?

Yes! and it does work a treat - dries in a fraction of the time of oils - win/win!

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Craig

It is win win. The only thing I haven't found it works as well as normal washes on is silver or natural metal.

James

Right then.

The Mig 21 Overtrees arrived from Eduard on Friday, thy're now playing catch up with the first kit.

Updates to follow soon.

Exciting box art!

image_zpsmn0el9rj.jpeg

Jet exhaust parts for both kits ready for priming and the U/C parts for the second kit also ready for spraying.

image_zpsi0jnk7kw.jpeg

Sorry about the terrible photos.

Thanks for looking.

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

It's been a couple of hectic weeks with one thing and another so not much time for modelling, anyway a small update.

The engines are finished and set to one side as are the undercarriage bays for the second kit.

The jet exhaust tubes were sprayed with alclad aluminium and then given a heavy dusting of Tamiya smoke. The fins at the exit, is that the right name,? were sprayed with Gunze Aqueous steel and then given a black wash and finally a light dry brush of silver before a matt varnish.

By the way, is bright green the correct colour for the fan and upper section of the jet tube. I went with it as it will never be seen again now it's stuck together but it does seem a little odd?

image_zpssgkxww18.jpeg

image_zpstuun4rss.jpeg

image_zpspurgjlu6.jpeg

The cone from the nose intake was sprayed with Gunze bright green. I think this is to bright so after a quick post in the cold war chat section some kind soil pointed me in the direction Tamiya xf4 which looks a closer match and will be re sprayed when i've had a chance to lay my hands a pot.

image_zpscbna98hp.jpeg

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Now onto the cockpit and that brilliant/terrible if you had to fly with it turquoise green/ blue colour.

James

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

First update for a while due to work seriously eating into modelling time. As it rained this afternoon i decided to give myself the afternoon of and and have a small session at the desk.

So I've been plugging away at the cockpits for a while now. They're pretty simple to build up using the PE in the kit, the instrument panels are especially nice. One was sprayed in the interior grey colour used in Soviet cockpits until the mid 60's, this was mixed up using Tamiya colours to match the kit PE. For the second cockpit I could'nt resist using the interior turquoise colour used from the mid 60's onwards as this makes rather a good change RAF interior green and so on. It may not be strictly acurate for a PF Mig 21 but my argument is a respray at an MU unit and I'm sticking to it.

Once the parts had been assembled and painted they were then given a wash of 50/50 Klear and water and then a drop of Tamiya black and red brown to make a wash, my favourite current technique! And then dry brushed with white and a couple of coats of Tamiya matt varnish.

So on with the pics. Not my finest hour in cockpit terms but I'd just got to the stage where I wanted to see them buttoned up.

image_zpser99eehs.jpeg

The instrument panels were matt varnished with the rest of the cockpit and then drops of Klear added to the instrument faces

image_zps3yswoxqd.jpeg

image_zpsvfb3gbvd.jpeg

image_zpskigswvql.jpeg

image_zpsom9lmbys.jpeg

image_zpscr3joril.jpeg

All the bulkheads and other parts in place ready for the other fuselage section.

image_zps3lfwvnzr.jpeg

image_zpskunr99gb.jpeg

And finally set aside to dry. I had to do a small amount of fettling as the instrument panels both snagged on the PE side consoles when offered up. The nose cones have been filled with fishing weights which then had a small amount of super glue dripped onto hold them in place, don't want that lot rattling around the fuselage!

image_zps9l8is0ia.jpeg

So that's all for now, hopefully assembly should move quite quickly from here on.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

James

• Like 5

They are looking top notch, really tidy paintwork on the pits.

(Makes me want to get back on mine but the Lightning must come first :shutup: )

Edited by Skids