Eduard Mig 21 PF now x 2

Thanks for kind words guys.

The fuselages are now buttoned up and the spines and rudders on. I'm in the middle of the ejector seats right now and the last few bits for the cockpits so I can get the canopies on followed by the wings.

Will try and post some pics tonight.

Thanks

James

Hi everyone

A couple of pics as promised.

The Mig 21 production line, not breaking any records at the moment! Thought I'd try some Master pitot's for these builds in the box below.

image.jpg1_zpsbarxlezs.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsait1uzc8.jpg

And the bits and pieces half way through being ready.

image.jpg3_zps8kduwruw.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Until next time.

James

• Like 3

Evening everyone

Well, it's been one step forward and 2 back the past couple of days. I began gluing all the sub assemblies together which started off fine and then noticed the next morning that one of the rudders had warped a little. I thought this was my fault and to be honest you can only see it if you look from head so thought I'd live with it. Pic below.

image.jpg1_zpsgferb6xd.jpg

Then I moved onto the wings and the same thing happened here. The plastic of these parts is very thin and I used my usual Tamiya extra thin glue run along the joins. I noticed too late for the left hand wing but managed to quickly clamp it all up with some Berna clamps and big files, just what came to hand really.

On the right hand wing I managed to peel the top ans bottom sections apart leaving the bottom section as in the picture below.

image.jpg2_zpscfr5qhui.jpg

This was clamped up in the same fasion as before, below, but it hasn't solved the problem.

image.jpg1_zpssztq35tu.jpg

You can see from this shot that one is warped up and the other down!! I can live with the downward one as it's only noticeable from certain angles but the other will be held over the spout of a boiling kettle for a few seconds to see if it can be bent the right way a bit when I'm feeling brave.

image.jpg3_zpszunslhhm.jpg

So can anyone suggest why this may have happened? Hot glue is my only guess. I'm a bit disappointed as I've been loving these kits.

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the wings and rudder issue James.

I have (just) only last night finished my SMT and I agree, it is a fabulous kit. I used Tamiya E-T on my leading edges all over along with the fuselage and spine joints etc. and had no problems whatsoever. I am no chemist but you (may) have had a kit that had an 'iffy' plastic batch? Seen lots of these built up and yours is the first warp or melt issue I have come across or heard about using Tamiya E-T or any other 'hot' liquid poly.

I do hope you resolve the problem - good luck mate!

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply.

The dodgy plastic theory had crossed my mind too but I'm building two kits which have both warped. One's a profi pack bought on e bay while the other is a an overtree boxing bought direct from Eduard so I had counted this one out, who knows?! Maybe it's just bad luck.

Looking forward to seeing your SMT on BM. I also have this boxing to build. There's something about that hump back look.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone

Well it's been slow progress lately due to a few domestic issues, i.e the boiler blowing up followed closey by the the wife! But progress non the less!

So the warped wings were sorted out fairly quickly by holding them each over a steaming kettle for a few seconds and then bending back to straight.

I also managed to get the ejector seats finished and installed and get the canopies on.

image_zpsdr2cqfmo.jpeg

image_zpsckyslsi7.jpeg

image_zpse9n6rowi.jpeg

And as you can see below the wings are also on and I've begun to sort out the gaps at the roots using slivers of plastic card and perfect plastic putty.

image_zpsfxw0a4zj.jpeg

Now I need some opinions on the camo colours in this last picture. It's a photo of one of the aircraft that I'm modelling here. The darker colour I'm pretty sure is a dark green of some kind, similar to RAF dark green. In the instructions Eduard call for the lighter colour to be Gunze's rendition of RAF mid stone WW2 style. To my eye it looks more like a mid to light brown or even beige used by the Soviet airforce around this time? Just after some other opinions really.

The more I look at this photo the more the thought of all the masking that lays ahead scares me!

image_zpshg6eod9b.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Until next time.

James

• Like 4

That cockpit certainly is a work of art. Stunning :goodjob:

As for the colour-scheme; I'm thinking a light to mid brown would be 'right' as well but that may be a result of my own prejudices based on expectations.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Snapper City, the wings on the first kit warped without any clamping. That's why I tried them on the second, without success. Thanks for the comment though.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello chaps

So the group build has come to an end and well done to everyone who finished their builds.

This is as far as I managed to get, my own fault really for choosing to build 2 Mig's at the same time, but you live and learn.

image.jpg1_zpsyqjhrqwn.jpg

image.jpg2_zps2skbtndr.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsqo538xni.jpg

Both are now ready for primer and any other tidying up that follows before painting and will hopefully be appearing in the RFI section in due course.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...