Lavochkin La-200 with Korshun radar - 1/72 scale model from Avis

I'm calling it done..... :banghead:

This is the 1/72 scale La-200 (with Korshun radar) kitted by the Russian manufacturer 'Avis'.

The La-200 was an attempt by Lavochkin to produce a twin-engined, radar-equipped all-weather fighter - in competition with the Mikoyan I-320 and Sukhoi's early Su-15 - a role eventually fullfilled by the Yak-25.

Its a limited run kit - accurate, but lots of fettling needed - the worst part in the outward-canted, levered suspension, trailing link main undercarriage - a very weak multi-part assembly that won't support the weight of the model.

I had to use a clear plastic prop to take the strain......

Still, its a rare subject unlikely to be kitted by any of the mainstream manufacturers - so more power to Avis :thumbsup:

La-200_031.jpg

La-200_029.jpg

Note the clear plastic prop - needed to take the weight off the weak main undercarriage.

La-200_026.jpg

The underwing fuel tanks have incorrect pylons that must be altered.....

La-200_024.jpg

Note the exhaust for the forward turbojet under the centre fuselage.

La-200_023.jpg

La-200_022.jpg

That weak main undercarriage......

La-200_025.jpg

It's just so sad looking ..........

La-200_032.jpg

More photos showing construction here.

Ken

• Like 27

Great job! The prototype is very rare and unusual and looks beautiful! But one little remark: "Avis" is not a Russian manufacturer! It is from Ukraine!

Thanks for the compliments Val.

I thought Avis were Ukrainian - but I looked on the side of the box - and there were 3 flags - UK, Poland and Russia - so I assumed they were Russian.

My mistake.

Ken

• Like 1

:clap:

Like the most of the air planes you build...

I had never seen it before.

Top modelling as usual Ken,

hard to tell you had any trouble with it..

Adrian

Thanks for the compliments Val.

I thought Avis were Ukrainian - but I looked on the side of the box - and there were 3 flags - UK, Poland and Russia - so I assumed they were Russian.

My mistake.

Ken

Not surprising, that you think so. "Avis" was not the market for quite a long time. Nowadays it shares production equipment with "A-Model". In fact, as far as I know, now it is essentially the same manufacturer.

Edited by Val_Ukraine

The first version had Toriy-A radar .......

Lavochkin-La-200.jpg

The second one was the Korshun radar - with a revised nose (and other things) - as modelled by Avis.

The final design (La-200B) had the much bigger Sokol radar - with 3 massive intakes around the central radome....

Lavochkin-La-200-B1.jpg

I hope Avis (or its successors?) will kit the other two variants.

Its interesting how Lavochkin - a very successful designer of piston-engined fighters - never produced a successful jet fighter after the war.

It parallels Supermarine I think - no decent jets after WWII (even the Scimitar only saw limited service)

Ken

• Like 1

Not surprising, that you think so. "Avis" was not the market for quite a long time. Nowadays it shares production equipment with "A-Model". In fact, as far as I know, now it is essentially the same manufacturer.

It seems to share the same vicissitudes.

Well done Ken. I'm in the process of fitting the u/c to mine - What fun!

It was a contemporary to the more successful Gloster Meteor NF-11 - but instead of side-by-side engines and a tandem crew arrangement, it had a side-by-side crew compartment and tandem engines - but, essentially the same engines (Klimov VK-1 and Derwent/Nene).

Designed by the Ministry of Ugly Planes.

Ken

• Like 2

Ken,

Just fitted the u/c to mine and thought that something looked odd. Have Avis got the nose u/c doors wrong? The photos do not show that forward part facing the airflow. It looks as if it retracts sideways. Sorry if this spoils your day!

I have managed to get mine standing on its gear without the prop. I beefed up the attachment inside the wells with lumps of plastic to stop it flexing.

Question. How do you produce those rings around the fuselage? I normally use Bare Metal Foil but have not got around to fitting them yet.

John

John,

You are absolutely correct about the nose doors - all the photos - plus Avis' box art - show the front door opening sideways to port.

Yet the instruction sheet has it opening forwards - as I have done it - I'll have to fix it, well spotted :thumbsup:

The vertical legs on my undercarriage - where they attach inside the wheel well - are strong enough - its just the angled bottom piece with the stub axle that is so weak.

When I came to attach one of the wheels, the bottom piece broke off - and despite trying to re-attach it with CA glue, it was even weaker - hence resorting to the prop.

A shame its such a bad design - on an otherwise enjoyable (if frustrating) build.

Re the 'silver' rings..... I sprayed the whole model using a rattle can of Halfords Aluminium - then masked off a few panels and buffed them using an old jar of SNJ powder.

After adding the decals, I gave the whole model a coat of Games Workshop to seal it and dull it down.

I attached Tamiya tape either side of the two rings circumferencely(sp?) - then just used a silver wax pencil to 'ink in' the rings around the fuselage.

I also use the silver pencil to highlight small panels on other model - a simple, controlled, but lazy way of doing things.

HTH

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

Finally finished mine. I didn't think there was much point as posting it as a separate thread as it looks very much like yours. I just added a picture of what I did to the u/c and a cross reference to the problems - might be a good idea to add it to your main thread.

La200_20160505_9_zpsfgff5gpa.jpg

Packing%20pieces_zpswh4yred7.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998238-lavochkin-la-200-avis-kit-problems-anyone-else-building-one/

John

• Like 3

Fantastic job you did on this one !! AVIS has planned to make the LA 200 B with it's 3 air intakes . The uglier they are, The more I want them !!

• 3 months later...