Kitty Hawk's 1/48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

sharkmouth

20 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, me's been lurkin' on 'em Ruskie thread - Google translator nay help too much :hmmm: - but me was appalled upon watchin' this comparison here; is "they're" 'em Hobby Boss kit fuselage the one which is on top...?

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1358337_1489689950_DSC_1086.JPG.html

Ruskie blokes affirm that HB have botched 'em forward fuselage 'n' canopy; they just look like 'em OEZ one? :blink: Me thought to have noticed that the new HB kit looked sorta like 'em OEZ in that aspect.

Well, thank gawd me's purchased 'em KH kit instead!   

Google translate didn't work on your post either... What are you trying to say?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Calum said:

I 'd say he means KH forward fuselage is much more accurate than then HB and KP....

If you speak kit manufacturer abbr. , you probably will understand this here ;)

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, Calum said:

Calum! :clap: Google ain't able to translate English into English, y'know... It musta be it.

Besides, it's hard to try 'n' type after a coupla brews, sorry. But then again, yeh, y'know; Doyle just noticed me that the piccy on 'em Ruskie forum was nay showin' properly on my previous post, so me's edited it now - mind ye, dealin' with Photobucket's worse than wrestlin' with a lobster from hell! :S 

It oughta be a helluva much clearer now, my mate from down under.

Yeh, it oughta.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

I 'd say he means KH forward fuselage is much more accurate than then HB and KP....

If you speak kit manufacturer abbr. , you probably will understand this here ;)

My bru! Howdy? :worthy: Uh-huh, that's right. Had me purchased 'em HB kit, me'd gone straight to the airstrip to prevent the landin' of 'em plane on which my kit had been loaded. Yeh, me would, methinks. It's 'em same issue which ultimately put me off buildin' 'em KP kit in 'em first place! Nay way to fix that issue. Nay at all.

Well? The Kitty Hawk kit is much better in that aspect. Nay a care in life 'bout all 'em other issues.

Cheers, fellas.

Unc2   

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, me's been lurkin' on 'em Ruskie thread - Google translator nay help too much :hmmm: - but me was appalled upon watchin' this comparison here; is "they're" 'em Hobby Boss kit fuselage the one which is on top...?

1489689950_DSC_1086_zpsc5kcaxd6.jpg

Ruskie blokes affirm that HB have botched 'em forward fuselage 'n' canopy; it just look like 'em OEZ one? :blink: Me thought to have noticed that the new HB kit looked sorta like 'em OEZ in that aspect. Yeh, me did.

Well, thank Gawd me's purchased 'em KH kit instead!

Yeh, me is.   

Cheers 'em

drUnc2

Well that definitely isn't the Hobby Boss fuselage as can clearly be seen from this photo of the sprues taken of the HB site.......

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cm0Eu5zn2sQ/WMkM2Xa6liI/AAAAAAACAzU/qVz-D5jXTF4QjqCZZWU-d6jSJ57vKPlmQCLcB/s1600/Su-17M4%2BFitter-K%2B81758%2B%285%29.jpg

38 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Well that definitely isn't the Hobby Boss fuselage as can clearly be seen from this photo of the sprues taken of the HB site.......

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cm0Eu5zn2sQ/WMkM2Xa6liI/AAAAAAACAzU/qVz-D5jXTF4QjqCZZWU-d6jSJ57vKPlmQCLcB/s1600/Su-17M4%2BFitter-K%2B81758%2B%285%29.jpg

Luckily, Russian is easier for me to understand than some English from Argentina... :)

The upper abbreviation is for KP and the lower is for KH.  Below is the post on scalemodels.ru:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_66599_start_0.html

Regards,

• Like 3

Differences there are so insignificant to my eye as to simply say which one builds better?

having gotten the 6 part KH fuse together by putting them together in halves its still work I coukdclive without doing again.

Next SU-17 will be HB for me.

After reading through all 18 pages of the thread on scalemodels.ru, I see that the Russians seem to agree that the belly of the fuselage is the issue.  They had others such as the nose gear being too far back while the main gears are too far forward.  The Russians seem to enjoy overlaying images of the KH CAD on top of photos of the real aircraft.  Some even had some nicely done plans with cross sections.  Here are just a few of the images to be found on the forum.  Last, they didn't seem to have the fuselage problem Doog did and they did point out that he mounted the KKR pod backwards and forgot to remove the pylons on either side.

bkHbPBmFX64w-nyNIrs8SjileIXr4UMvWNYM68Z0

The image above purports the landing gear being too close together (nose and main)

Overlaying the KittyHawk CAD over photos of the real aircraft:

na2BQkBB8h3ouvlUKX4u5599EXeJtnKhyQCQfLFK

20UnFs5PGbIJwpMJ372Z4Bh6tGfB0kpRscucIBi-

This has some nicely done plans... I wish I knew the source.

UrBeaDuGb2IqlOX0_SGhxDHgp8kZAAAEGuHgxK-c

ADQZgXaBp31eV-02giZ66WFHSk02roi11iryADAm

The main issue found:

vdU0du0cO6HgDWEap3K1nlU6RuG8Q7GowxLSPS98

It affects the mounting of the KKR pod.  This is how it should be (instead of pointing downwards as in the kit):

SFOLOY5WJUFIWm_2rc8t33AXvBKOuOj1aoQ0-mIl

Trying to stitch an image together to eliminate distortion (these guys are serious!):

1OwDK-W0g4YNB79NMm1ypdQoglfhYYPFR4T83udE

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

in conclusion, between this two bad model kits, which one is better?

KP is a bad kit and a bad model (front fuselage profile) but it's cheap.

KH is an acceptable kit (good actually if you're used to dry-fitting and preparing parts) and an acceptable model (under fuselage profile issue can be fixed or even ignored as it won't be visible once the kit is built).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laurent said:

KP es un mal kit y un mal modelo (el perfil del fuselaje delantero) pero es barato.

KH es un kit aceptable (bueno en realidad, si estás acostumbrado a secar el montaje y preparación de partes) y un modelo aceptable (bajo problema de perfil del fuselaje puede ser fijo o incluso ignorado, ya que no será visible una vez que el kit se construye).

Thanks you for your explanation.

44 minutes ago, Laurent said:

KH is an acceptable kit (good actually if you're used to dry-fitting and preparing parts) and an acceptable model (under fuselage profile issue can be fixed or even ignored as it won't be visible once the kit is built).

When you say it's good if you are used to preparing parts, what do you mean by that? Do you mean carrying out surgery, or just carefully fitting together and being aware of tolerances?

Edited by Sobby_23

3 hours ago, Sobby_23 said:

When you say it's good if you are used to preparing parts, what do you mean by that? Do you mean carrying out surgery, or just carefully fitting together and being aware of tolerances?

This...

buildersAlgorithm.jpg

• Like 10

Me's received my KH kit last Friday 'n' still me's hopelessly cuddlin' it every night before turnin' in.

Such a noooiiiceee kit, 'em only thing me's concerned 'bout would be to fix the wobblin' on both 'em nose 'n' main landin' gear legs. :hmmm:

A tad too fragile the way 'em landin' gears are to be attached to "they're" respective bays, methinks. Mountin' notches too shallow...? Plastic's too brittle?

Nay dice buildin' it gears up, either, y'know.

Nay way.

Cheers,

Unc2

P.S.: Won't be attachin' 'em whole engine either; just the part from 'em flame holder aft. Fix the issue 'bout 'em splitter plates by turnin' both 'em attachin' pins on the sides vertically. That's a clever move. Nay give a split shoot 'bout 'em concavity under "they're" fuselage.

• Like 1

:analintruder: Nay waayy...!!! really...?

That Stenka bloke should be built a monolith in every city Square! Me's gonna go start gatherin' 'em peebles for it.

Awesome news, Rui. :clap2: Incidentally, d'ya happen to like the band Oratory? I used to have a terrible crush on Ana Lara. :lol:

Yeh, me did.

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Characters outa proportion

Hi Uncle Uncool,

I'd never heard about "Oratory", I looked it up and seriously... a crush for Ana Lara??? That seems almost as bad as saying KH's Su-17 is a beautiful kit! :)

Best regards from bloody cold northern Portugal,

Rui 

Cold War Studio is working on the problems!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ColdWarStudiodetails/posts/1290309774398888

(...) It will be a replacement lower fuselage for the Kitty Hawk Su-22 in 1/48 scale. Splitter plate for the shock cone is in the works as well. Everything is sill WIP.(...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

You know, KH really should be applauded for how much they're contributing to the growth of hobby.  Just look at how many cottage industry manufacturers have sprung up to fix all the mistakes in each new KH release.  You don't get that with the Tamiya's of the world.

Kudos, KH.

:D

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ICMF said:

Just look at how many cottage industry manufacturers have sprung up to fix all the mistakes in each new KH release.

How many ? The only release that comes to my mind is the MiG-25. 

23 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

I'd never heard about "Oratory", I looked it up and seriously... a crush for Ana Lara??? That seems almost as bad as saying KH's Su-17 is a beautiful kit! :)

:analintruder: Ya objectin' to my taste for 'em Metal sheilas, Rui? How dare ya, my mate?

Well, perhaps she ain't as drop-dead gorgeous as Simone Simons, Tarja Turunen or Vibeke Stene, but Ana Lara ain't a Barney-lookin' lass.

300x300_zpsdqjfdlvj.jpg

Ya've just got to imagine her while singin' this tune aloud in yer room at nightfall.

Oh, 'n' 'em Kitty Hawk 1/48th scale Su-17M3/M4 kit is indeed a very noooiiiceee kit. :nodding:

Yeh, it is.

2 hours ago, ICMF said:

You don't get that with the Tamiya's of the world.

Bwahahahahaha... :lalala: Yeh, especially if we're still able to recall how accurate was the Tamiya Shar or "they're" Hog.

Cheers 'em Doyles.

Unc2