Kitty Hawk's 1/48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

sharkmouth

39 minutes ago, ICMF said:

my mistake.  Kind of surprised they'd go to that trouble, as there's not a whole lot of detail on there that would need slide-molded, IIRC.

It is to make sure the panel lines and rivets remain nice and crisp even on the bottom/top of the fuselage. If you don't use a slide mold, you end up with vague detail around those areas like that in the Kinetic E-2 kit.

Mark

Yeah, I'm just surprised as the Su-22 isn't *that* detailed underneath.  Just your standard access panels along the centreline.  It's even more surprising to see the top of the plane is slide molded, since the it's just a couple of panel lines in front of the windscreen that would see any benefit.  With the spine being split off, it's literally just a handful of circumferential lines, which don't need slide-molding.

16 hours ago, DIO said:

Happy, having paid $130 for a kit, that also has serious issues (e.g. nose)?

Would have been happy, if it was in the range of $50 to $80 max!

Sorry for I cannot share your feelings.

Yes, I’m happy with that kit at $130.  I think in part because I actually have one and touched the nose and don’t have a problem with the shape.  Of course I’m only basing this on my opinion and not the opinion of others.  That said, I suspect in a couple of years you’ll be able to find this kit a swap-meet for $50-80 dollars and you will then enjoy building it or just reveling in how wrong the nose is, either way, in the end, it’s ok that you don’t share the same opinion.  It's a nice kit.

• 2 weeks later...

seems to be available already:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kitty-Hawk-1-48-KH80144-Su-17-22-M3-M4-NEU-/371874974025?hash=item569579c949:g:wnIAAOSw32lYrxcw

https://05flu.com/KittyHawk-KH80144

any real review yet anywhere dealing with accuracy etc.??

Edited by exdraken

There is a build review on YouTube, in several parts. Doesn't get deep into accuracy, but does point out a couple of omissions. It looks like the multi-part fuselage and spine will be a challenge to get together nicely.  Construction wise, it looks like somewhat of missed opportunity. That being said, I do have one on preorder from a shop so will build it when it comes in.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

thanks 

better build something than watch all this! ;)

went through some of it quickly.... not bad looking :)

like the engine detail! :) best AL-21 out there I guess

lots of other detail, like gun bays.....

the front fuselage drop seems to be ok, but not sure if the lover bulge housing the (ranging?) equipment is deep/ bulged  enough (does this make sence??)

inner flaps do not look to be correct for placing them dropped, as the would move back AND drop on the real plane... maybe there is provision for that but at least not in the review. :(

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

inner flaps do not look to be correct for placing them dropped, as the would move back AND drop on the real plane... maybe there is provision for that but at least not in the review. :(

I have a copy of the kit and can confirm that there is no provision for the flaps to be extended before drooping.

Mark

34 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Part 8 and "Closing Thoughts" of "Doogs' Models" Su-17 YouTube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhTXsMwV34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJdFwhQudM

Interesting, but seems more like the prelude to anger management training!

I am not really a big fan of the language used by Mr. Doog.

• Like 3

I'm also not a big fan of his style (the mute button helps), but I like the idea of a bare plastic assembly review.

I see no big problems, except the missing radome fairing issue, but even that won't stop me from buying the kit.

The old KP kit, even with ultra expensive (and now ultra rare) CE resin improvements, didn't look that good.

Vedran

• Like 1

I think the key point here is that Kitty Hawk are asking a lot of money for a kit that is riddled with engineering and fit issues. That's quite problematic and enough to put me off, or at least make me wait until the Hobbyboss kit surfaces.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, madcat911 said:

I have a copy of the kit and can confirm that there is no provision for the flaps to be extended before drooping.

Mark

I already feared so,

chance missed.... oh well , scratch this again! (no resin correction set for the KP kit had this feature covered correctly...)

3 hours ago, Phantom726 said:

yeah, language could be a bit more family friendly... but no way listening to all of that! how many hours is this review?

some cutting/ editing would be beneficial I'd say!

I am more astonished that he managed to mount the KKR-2 recce pod the wrong way round :D 

all in all I guess I have to source one of these....

• Like 1

I apologize, I have no connection to the guy doing the review, it is just the only review of the actual kit I have found so far. I am rather disappointed by how the kit seems to go together. I was very hopeful that since Kitty Hawk apparently scanned a real aircraft,  that care or effort would be translated into a more accurate and well though out kit. I have this kit and their Su-34 on pre-order, I had hoped I put my money on the better option, but now I am not so sure :huh:

• Like 1

According to the German ffmc forums it was NOT Kitty Hawk who scanned the Su-22  in Cottbus/Brandenburg but someone else. It is rumoured to be a 32nd scale kit but not leaking any further information.

17 hours ago, Phantom726 said:

Agreed. The guy has too much of the "In your face" disposition and needs a prescription for Haldol. If only he was old enough to remember the days of a KoPro kit mixed with an additional $75+ of aftermarket corrections and enhancements from Cutting Edge et.al.

• Like 2

Got to be honest, it was his and some of his his acolytes attacks on a couple of other modellers for suggesting that it might also be worthwhile showing how to effect a fix on the intake that lead to me hitting the unfollow button on Facebook. The 'naked' build is an excellent idea, but as someone trying to build a brand in the modelling world his approach to people who disgree with him may need revising. But then again, he may not care.

This is the first time I've seen anything from Doogs' Models, and to be honest I did find it very funny and reminiscent of my own modellilng (the dog has been known to slink out of the mancave during my modelling sessions when the language deteritorates).  The review has persuaded me not to buy the kit, so I'lll probably wait for the Hobbyboss version.  I could always build the KP kit I have in my stash, but that may cause the dog to leave the room again.

• Like 1

Yup, I'm a bit disappointed with this kit and hoping that Hobbyboss pull through. 

If the Kitty Hawk was still the only offering I would get it and apply myself but knowing that there is something around the corner which will *probably* be better makes it difficult to justify.