Kitty Hawk's 1/48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

sharkmouth

Hope this ends up being one of Kitty Hawk's better kits since, as I understand it, then tend to churn out some utter shockers. What tends to be the biggest issue with their kits? I'm only recently getting back into the hobby and I'm still bringing myself up to speed with all the various manufacturers. The Kitty Hawk Entendard looks pretty interesting too! 

Whatever this kit ends up being like I'm sure I'll pick one up and build it into one of the Polish AF machines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sobby_23 said:

What tends to be the biggest issue with their kits?

It's a combination of questionable accuracy (shapes, details, mixed up versions) and fit.  They seem to be running smaller injection molding machines, which means the kits get broken down into smaller components, but the fit and finesse makes things a challenge.  They're really more like 'limited run' kits - like Classic Airframes or Special Hobby - but the expectation is that they'll be a Meng/GWH/AMK/Takom/etc.  Part of the problem is that modern kit engineering is universally good, so it's quite jarring to have an old school, wrestle-it-into-submission kit.  

If you just want to build a model, and don't mind a challenging build, they're fine.  If you want a really accurate model, or a straightforward build, they're a let down.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ICMF said:

It's a combination of questionable accuracy (shapes, details, mixed up versions) and fit.  They seem to be running smaller injection molding machines, which means the kits get broken down into smaller components, but the fit and finesse makes things a challenge.  They're really more like 'limited run' kits - like Classic Airframes or Special Hobby - but the expectation is that they'll be a Meng/GWH/AMK/Takom/etc.  Part of the problem is that modern kit engineering is universally good, so it's quite jarring to have an old school, wrestle-it-into-submission kit.  

If you just want to build a model, and don't mind a challenging build, they're fine.  If you want a really accurate model, or a straightforward build, they're a let down.

I second what ICMF said, adding: 

I would not call them limited run kits, more like partly over engineered and therefor complicated with lots of open-able hatches, and partly inaccurate, i.e. wrong pylons, totally wrong weapon load out (but generally a lot of it, but for the spares box only...) 

some detail:

• Their much expected  MiG-25 unfortunately  had quite serious shape problems at the front fuselage....
  • F-35 series: no real problems a part from being complicated and therefor difficult
  • Jaguar: some shape and size problems (weels, leading edge, ...) in general as well as wrong pylons and weapons for the British version, 
  • Mirage F1. twoseater quite ok, (some say not to scale???) , single seater with serious nose shape problem 
  • Gripen: generally ok (but pylons have wrong shape), decals not really suited for the boxed versions, strange weapons load out and not external tanks :(
  • Helicopters: are said to be quite good
  • Super Etendard: others know more, but apparently they mixed some detail with the Etendard, as well as adding some wrong weapons, the decals also have some issues
  • most recent Banshee --> see yourself in the review section...

but the best intentions pared with some negligence do not make the general modeler very happy.... apart form that KH is quite expensive imho!

So, I re-sold all but the Jaguar for the time being, maybe I 'll by a Gripen once

and I will definitely have a closer look at their try on the Su-34 (Hobbyboss just tried....) and of course the Su-17 series. 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Thanks guys! I think the Su-22 will be a must buy at any rate, and depending of what it's like I may investigate their Su-34. Altough, Trumpy's version is 1/72 will be considerably easier to handle, and store. 

I'm not too fussed about it being a bit of a fiddle to build, I do prefer the well engineered kits (some of the latest Trumpy builds, Tamiya, AMK, MENG etc.) but Kitty Hawk really seem to make some interesting subjects which means I can set aside that desire to build the perfect kit in favour of building something I really love. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Not going to dump my Su-7/17/22s yet.... but looking forward to comparison... so many variants to be built!!

I got rid of my KP kit years ago so no comparaison can be expected from me. If the kit is successful I hope very much they'll do Tumanski R-29-engined versions. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I got rid of my KP kit years ago so no comparaison can be expected from me. If the kit is successful I hope very much they'll do Tumanski R-29-engined versions. 

I plan(ned) to combine a  Su-7 with a Su-17 and  Ciro-models two-seat conversion in order to get a R-29 engined Su-22 UM3 :)....

I guess I still can go ahead with my plan until this rare version will be available from KH...

Any idea on schemes, Russian going by box art obviously. Polish or German by any chance?

Looking forward to this one. Like the Sepecat Jaguar this jet has a brutish and purposeful look about it. Only three kits on my 2017 list, this is one of them.

Eng

13 hours ago, chrisov said:

Good article on Polish SU-22's in the Feb 17 issue of 'Combat Aircraft'

Chris

an up-to-date one? including upgrade and new color scheme?

they where promising on for 2 years now.... I even did not renew my subscription because of too much overlap with AFM....

24 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Windscreen: better than the future HobbyBoss one but still off. :o

su22.jpg

I don't think HB will offer the possibility to lower the flaps and leading-edge slats. KH will. 

Edited by Laurent
KH vs HB text addition
  • Like 1