Takom Chieftain Mk10 - in Berlin Brigade camo.

Hi All,

I'd like to join in with this beast. I'm going to do this in the Berlin Brigade urban camo - it's going to be masking tape-tastic.

Chieftain%2001_zpshxpll1y6.jpg

Chieftain%2005_zpsob4xkl1w.jpg

Chieftain%2004_zpspv2mslcj.jpg

Chieftain%2003_zpsyyzavgqq.jpg

Chieftain%2002_zpsyahvuygz.jpg

Chieftain%2006_zpsvgcerjfa.jpg

Chieftain%2007_zpsgpsbo5kd.jpg

It looks like a good kit - but the thought of all those track links is bit daunting.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 11

Aye, that camo looks really nice, Ive not seen that before.

The tracks look like a challenge, agreed. For that session Id recommend a decent Pinot Noir.

Why didn't I think of this one myself. :doh: I have got the Mk.11 in my stash. I bought it a few weeks ago. I must be getting :clif: .

But this is a nice subject, so I will follow this one. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Hi All,

I'd like to join in with this beast. I'm going to do this in the Berlin Brigade urban camo - it's going to be masking tape-tastic.

Chieftain%2007_zpsgpsbo5kd.jpg

It looks like a good kit - but the thought of all those track links is bit daunting.

Dave.

Dave,

the track is FANTASTIC! :coolio: probably the best non-working Indy Track I have ever done :thumbsup: and I have done both the Mk.10 (in the BB Scheme) & Mk.11

DO NOT use the paint layout guide for the Berlin Block scheme supplied in the kit! It is SO WRONG, it's scary :yikes: None of the plans link top to sides etc

Edited by Shermaniac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's the progress so far...

Chieftain%2008_zpslgzmp84p.jpg

The turret and hull are nearly ready for some primer - a bit more clean-up is needed, but it's been a fairly easy build apart from the very thick sprue gates (is that what they called?) which has caused several of the more delicate parts to be damaged. Maybe it's just me being clumsy.

Dave.

• Like 6

Looks like the end of the barrel is threaded... to screw on a silencer/moderator perhaps...? :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's a mini update:-

When I test fitted the searchlight box, I thought it looked a bit wrong......

Chieftain%2010_zpskhanvgbk.jpg

....so I grabbed my trusty iPad and googled.......

Chieftain%2009_zpsh3pcosp3.jpg

....and it was wrong.

So......

Chieftain%2011_zpsi6w9b3ov.jpg

The original shape of the mounting brackets looked better before I sanded them down but....... on balance I'm happier with this.

What I noticed after this is that the point where the wire to the smoke launcher goes through the turret is in a different position too. All of the Mk10 Chieftains started life as an earlier Mk 2, 3 or 5 and it's possible there's some variation in the details by the time they were all upgraded to Mk10 standard. I'll look into this.

Dave.

• Like 1

I imagine that something like a cable attachment had no hard and fast rules, and maybe varied a bit from tank to tank. Though the pot it emerges from maybe would be a more standard position. Hm. Perhaps as you say, it varied by subtype. I've been trying to find pictures, but no luck

I think I've worked out the reason why the wire is in the wrong place.

The picture above shows the original position for Chieftains Mk.2 through to 10, but for those upgraded to Mk.11 it was moved to make way for the TOGS installation. As the Takom Mk.5 turret has it in the correct position, I presume Takom didn't want to make a two different moulds for the Mk.10 and 11 turret.

Annoying - now I've spotted it I'll have to do something about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Apologies for the lack of updates, but I got bogged down in the research for the camo scheme. As Shermaniac said above the painting guide is a total work of fiction, but trawling the internet for photos has been very frustrating. Firstly getting a colour match I was happy with was hard work - in the end I mixed my own, and then finding photos that showed in-service vehicles from all angles was very annoying. The process was made harder because there are a number of preserved Chieftains out there that have repainted incorrectly, also the Mk5 has different pattern and there appears to be minor variations from one tank to another. Anyway I think got mostly right in the end.

Chieftain%2012_zpseh82fn8k.jpg

Chieftain%2013_zpsghfhj2ty.jpg

Chieftain%2014_zps4gtasn1z.jpg

The paintwork needs a lot more tidying up yet, small parts to be added and the undercarriage - sorry, I mean wheels and tracks - running gear? - needs doing.

As usual I'm up against the deadline, and not sure I'm going to make it - but I'll give it a go.

Dave.

• Like 8

Excellent job on the Berlin paint job,Like your model very much.

Great modelling.

Richard