1/72 Bulgarian Frogfoot +++ FINISHED +++

So here we go again, my new choice of entry for this GB (leaving my previous Mirage IIIR available for next year's proposed 70s re-run, which must surely happen!).

P1090609_zpshbsmgjoc.jpg

The instructions say copyright 1990, but the parts look light years away from the Revell Mirage which was apparantly 1989. Nice recessed lines throughout and none of the toy-like features such as rotating wheels and moveable canopy. The plastic's still a dodgy colour though :winkgrin: !

P1090610_zpsefd21oza.jpg

The kit was actually a raffle prize (being secondhand at the time), and while the plastic is perfect, the decals are unusable due to severe yellowing and damp damage. In response, I bought this Linden Hill Decal sheet last year.

P1090611_zpsx2pzw5lj.jpg

My recollection was that all options were post Cold War, but in fact when I checked last night there is one Bulgarian scheme which is actually from 1987. It is described as 'White 195' from 22 ShAP, Bezmer AB, Bulgaria - it's the third one down.

Very different to the Mirage, of course :winkgrin: !

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

Good to see one of the lesser and certainly less commonly modelled players in this great game gaining some attention. Can't recall seeing a Bulgarian subject modelled on the forum before now - was there even one in the Lesser Known Air Forces GB?

• Like 1

Thanks Craig and Col :)

Col, Black Knight built a Bulgarian Bf.109 for the LBAF GB - it had the most incredible dazzle camouflage (photos unfortunately not now showing :( ). As you say though, there aren't many Bulgarian builds on BM.....

Cliff

Thanks Blastvader and RMP2 :)

My plan is for this to be a relatively quick OOB build (I need a break!). I've started on the cockpit so should hopefully get that finished, with photos, over the weekend.

I see from the GB Chat that SoftScience is threatening a Bulgarian Mi-2 too.....

Cheers

Cliff

Will be watching this closely (I like Bulgarian Jets, got 4 lined up), if you want to do a slightly faded camo I found a really close match for the pale green.

Thanks for the possible invite RMP2 but my Bulgarian stuff is out of the Cold War era. I did look into doing a Mig-23 but I dont think I will have the time.

Edited by Skids
  • Like 1

Will be watching this closely (I like Bulgarian Jets, got 4 lined up), if you want to do a slightly faded camo I found a really close match for the pale green.

Hi Skids,

Would you be able to share that? I think it'd work on my Mig 21 (any other colour suggestions also appreciated)

Ta,

Paul

Would you be able to share that? I think it'd work on my Mig 21 (any other colour suggestions also appreciated)

Hi Paul, I have been working on Bulgarian colours for awhile, buying and testing paints (only acrylics).

My best colour for the Light Green is Vallejo Model 974. It will need a bit of lightening but it was the best base colour I found. Just waiting to get a few colours at Modelkraft this weekend to get the right Brown and Dark Green. (So far Tamiya is winning on the Brown).

The Bulgarian Air Force Migs seem to fade quite differently what bort number are you doing?

Simon

Hi Paul, I have been working on Bulgarian colours for awhile, buying and testing paints (only acrylics).

My best colour for the Light Green is Vallejo Model 974. It will need a bit of lightening but it was the best base colour I found. Just waiting to get a few colours at Modelkraft this weekend to get the right Brown and Dark Green. (So far Tamiya is winning on the Brown).

The Bulgarian Air Force Migs seem to fade quite differently what bort number are you doing?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Bort 09, 582 IAP it's not a Bulgarian machine but a Soviet one, but to my eyes the colours look the same. I was planning on using Tamiya flat earth and Dark green for the green/brown and maybe NATO brown for the chocolate brown? No idea what to use for the undersides.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Cliff but hopefully this will help you too :)

Sorry to Hijack your thread Cliff but as Paul says this may or may not be useful to you.

Cant remember which Tamiya Brown paint it is but will look later. To some extent AKAN paints are the way to go, they are very good and most of the time the are a great match (had a few misses).

Underside the AKAN Blue 73008 looks good to me, the Cockpit emerald green is amazing and seems to match the Eduard etch spot on. But dont take it as gospel

There was a really nice Su-25UBK built on here recently in Bulgarian colours which maybe be useful too, will find it later.

Here is the WIP the above may be useful

Edited by Skids

Great info on the paints Blastvader and Skids. No need to apologise - keep it coming!

Just one quick question from me though - were Su25 cockpit interiors not grey (rather than emerald green)?

Cheers

Cliff

This is the source of all my 'knowledge', plus of course Revell's instructions! (grey 57).

The photo is of a more recent Bulgarian Frogfoot (and a two-seater as well I think - if that is relevant).

Cliff

Great info on the paints Blastvader and Skids. No need to apologise - keep it coming!

Just one quick question from me though - were Su25 cockpit interiors not grey (rather than emerald green)?

Cheers

Cliff

You are right they are, got Mig-21on the brain at the moment. Should have posted that on Paul's thread and not confused it here.

Just looked at my Su-25 ref pics and thats the one I have.

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip off Dave - I'll try to get a copy :) .

So, I've managed to make a start on the cockpit. It wasn't a great start as I managed to snap off and lose the control column while I was giving the kit a wash! Fortunately I found something similar in my spares box.

Decals are provided for the IP and side consoles, but in my kit these have yellowed beyond use. This is no great loss though, as the plastic parts have some nice engraved detail that looks OK after an oil wash. It could almost be PE ;)

P1090620_zpsbqqeswea.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Hi Cliff,

sure this will look good, it'll be interesting to see you build an aircraft that isn't made of plywood and rigging wires...

btw, If you haven't already spotted it, I noticed today that May 2016 Scale Aircraft Modeling has an article on SU-25 in it, including usual scale drawings and profiles.

good luck!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

Thanks Will. No plywood and only one set of wings too - should be a piece of cake! :winkgrin:

The SAM article sounds invaluable, I will try to get a copy next week.

An early start this morning saw the cockpit finished.

P1090621_zpsfvlmfdv6.jpg

While I want this to be a quick OOB build, I just couldn't resist adding some masking tape seat belts and a PE ejection handle (I think there should really be two of them....?). The handle is actually a WWII undercarriage scissor-link!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Just thought that I would give a quick update, before going back to finish off my Westland Scout.

I've glued the two fuselage halves together (the horizontal split being a first for me). They went together pretty well - the photo shows the result of the first quick sand and the application of some filler to a few sink marks.

P1090623_zps3qaksbdo.jpg

The pilot seems to be sitting a long way back, but I think this is because the rear-most part of the opening canopy (which is unglazed), has been moulded as part of the fuselage. It got me puzzling though!

I've also been thinking about paint colours. Given than this is only 1987 (and in line with the decal instructions), I've decided on un-faded paintwork. I've chosen this image as the exemplar. I think that I should be able to get a reasonable match to these colours using a combination of some Humbrol and Tamiya paints that I already have :) .

And finally I've been looking at ordnance. Here's what you get in the kit. From top left to bottom right: two fuel tanks, six rocket pods, two small missiles (air-to-air?), two large missiles (I've no idea!) and four bombs (which mount, two per pylon).

P1090622_zpsfupmaa0x.jpg

Based on web photos of more recent Bulgarian Frogfoots, a typical load appears to be the two fuel tanks and four rocket pods. I'll go with this, particularly as I like the look of a few empty pylons :coolio: .

See you later.

Cliff

• Like 4

Liking the scheme very much, very fast progress too.

The little missiles are air-air things, theyre R60/AA-8 Aphids I belive and the other larger ones are KH-25 air-ground missiles unless my memory is slipping. All are typical on a Frogfoot. :)

Good luck with the colours.

• Like 1