The little one

While searching through the stash for options I came across a box with some goodies in it and dug another decal sheet out of the relevant drawer. So, here is a photo,

1460967379709.jpg

There's two kits in that box, a pair of white metal Aeroclub Martin Baker Mk.3 bang seats, Model Art's 144-001 decal sheet with a few interesting options, then Mike Grant Decals Blue Arrows sheet.

At the moment I'm thinking of back-dating one kit to the Blue Arrows F.6 for this GB and possibly using the other kit to make a GA.11 at a later date.

• Like 2

A 1/144 Hunter, interesting - looking forward to seeing this one coming together. :popcorn:

It's a nice kit which, like its 72nd and 32nd scale siblings from Revell, benefits from some care when assembling the wings but is otherwise straightforward. Shame they are now rare and fetch silly money on eBay.

• Like 1

Nice choice Col, it's a lovely little kit. Here's a photo of a RSAF Hunter that I made for my very first GB (1/144 Group Build) when I joined Britmodeller. I used three of Retrokit's resin sets - wings, cockpit tub and rear fuselage/fin & rudder on my build.

CIMG2030_zps4346ef63.jpg

• Like 2

Nice choice Col, it's a lovely little kit. Here's a photo of a RSAF Hunter that I made for my very first GB (1/144 Group Build) when I joined Britmodeller. I used three of Retrokit's resin sets - wings, cockpit tub and rear fuselage/fin & rudder on my build.

Looks good John. Seen the wings, both early and late types, but not the cockpit or rear fuselage parts from Retrokit.

Here's one I did a few years ago;

P1010016.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice Col, it looks good in overall HSS. I wish that Revell would release this again, I only have one left in the stash and an Xtradecal sheet of several foreign operators.

Thanks John. They certainly are a nice kit but I seen precious few of them even when they were in the catalogue :(

So you'll just be doing a 'little' modelling then?

DB

That's the plan. If I can find somehow find any free time :frantic:

I like the straight wing.

You going to Perth Col? I need a lesson in what's required to build a straight winged Hunter. Preferably in 1/48.

Alas no Perth for me this year due to other commitments Jamie. The lessons in straight wing Hunter kit butchery is not a problem any other time though :)

A decent starting point in 1/48 would be a decent starting point!! The Academy/Italeri kit has many shape issues if that kind of thing bothers you.

DB

it could be worse Duncan. The Nichimo kit could be the only game in town!

Edited by Col.

It does. What's the best starting point then?

Is the Aeroclub one in my stash any good as a Hunter in general?

Not perfect but closer in many respects.

Edited by Col.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a "Lightning" build then Col :coolio::poke:

DB

He put it down somewhere and can't find it now???

Ho ho ho you boys are so funny <_<

Some of us have to work for a living you know.

• Like 1

Ho ho ho you boys are so funny <_<

Some of us have to work for a living you know.

A very poor excuse for not ever finishing a model if you ask me. I have to come up with far more imaginative excuses.

DB

A very poor excuse for not ever finishing a model if you ask me. I have to come up with far more imaginative excuses.

DB

Well I'll bow to your greater experience on that matter while keeping myself busy moderating four current GB's and wishing I could find some time to play with my own models :frantic:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone remember this one? Finally found some time to play with it so added a bit of cockpit detail;

20160618_214031.jpg

and some representation of intake trunking;

20160618_214137.jpg

• Like 5

I have one of these left in the stash Col, and a host of schemes on the XtraDecal sheet to choose from, so looking for some tips to improve on my last effort. Nice work on the intake trunking.

• Like 1

Thanks lads. I'm enjoying the time this one is taking and seeing you all working on other Hunter kits is great inspiration.

So, a little more done, an attempt at the intake splitter plate with some plastic sheet and filler;

20160620_080837.jpg

...which got tidied up to produce this;

20160620_080735.jpg

...and fitting the flying surfaces makes it look a bit more like a Hunter :)

20160620_080811.jpg

Still some gaps to fill underneath but they are small and shallow so used glue for them;

20160620_080821.jpg

I've since sanded the glue down smooth then packed a little lead sheet in the front fuselage before fitting the nose and gun tray but didn't take any photos yet. Also filed and sanded away the brake 'chute housing from the tail so she's a confirmed F.6 now.

• Like 4

Thanks gents. A lack of free time last night meant only the glue got sanded back and the cannon link collector bulges were fitted but it's all progress :)

20160622_065022.jpg

The sharp eyed may also notice I've filled the circular panel line below the cockpit and ahead of the intake. On the left side this is the emergency canopy release window but doesn't exist on the right side of the fuselage. Revell, however, have repeated it on the right side fuselage part of their kits.

• Like 1