Tamiya P-51B Mustang 1/48

Morning chaps,

This is my latest kit, Tamiya's P-51B (Mustang III) If you've built this kit before, you'll know just how good it is. Everything fits together perfectly and its very well detailed for such a reasonably priced kit. I found myself a bit stuck after buying this kit and finding out there were no decals in the box. Its actually the RAF Mustang III kit but having previously built this kit as an RAF plane, i thought id build it as a yank this time.

I've started to build a few "Aircraft of the Aces" and this is my personal favorite, Major Don gentile's "Shangri-La" which Tamiya also make as a 1/48th kit. Decals are Microscale and i have to say they are a vast improvement over anything i have so far used from Tamiya!

AK Xtreme Metals and Tamiya paints were used throughout, AK pigments were used for weathering along with a Flory Models dark wash, and kit is built OOB.

Thanks for looking :)

IMAG0048_zpszeql6mzn.jpg

IMAG0049_zpsaggcpfbc.jpg

IMAG0054_zpsrugvkvj8.jpg

IMAG0056_zpsaabwdy9m.jpgIMAG0063_zpsz5tjxbdz.jpge9b21ca0-c153-46f6-950f-4d9010f7c78b_zps87503aef-2300-4718-aec7-62557106e678_zps45e76cc8-f1f7-4161-8098-9866a8db09bf_zps

• Like 21

Very nice! I build this kit last year in RAF colours and I agree it goes together extremely well. The kit decals are terrible though, very thick and I found them practically un-usable. I went with an aftermarket Aeromaster (I think) decal set which made a huge difference.

nice work, looks great

Thanks batcode, glad you like it :)

Very nice! I build this kit last year in RAF colours and I agree it goes together extremely well. The kit decals are terrible though, very thick and I found them practically un-usable. I went with an aftermarket Aeromaster (I think) decal set which made a huge difference.

I've not tried Aeromaster decals yet but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've got a couple of P-47's that I'm working on at the moment, both Tamiya, got Microscale decals for one of them but will give Aeromaster a go on the other one. You'd think a company like Tamiya that makes brilliant kits would realize that their decals are rubbish though, wouldn't you? I've only made 3 Tamiya kits so far and all of the decals have been terrible, but i have another dozen or so in the stash which are all going to need aftermarket decals. Tamiya decals LOOK great, but like you say, they are so thick and they break really easily, i cant imagine it would cost Tamiya much more to have someone like Microscale make their decals for them?

Wow! That is very impressive! Beautiful finish!! Very well done. :worthy:

Thanks fella :) glad you like it!

Beautifully built and finished,paintwork look,s superb. :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve :) I've seen a few of your builds now and your paintwork is always immaculate, if mine is anywhere close to yours I'm happy with that pal.

• Like 2

I've not tried Aeromaster decals yet but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've got a couple of P-47's that I'm working on at the moment, both Tamiya, got Microscale decals for one of them but will give Aeromaster a go on the other one. You'd think a company like Tamiya that makes brilliant kits would realize that their decals are rubbish though, wouldn't you? I've only made 3 Tamiya kits so far and all of the decals have been terrible, but i have another dozen or so in the stash which are all going to need aftermarket decals. Tamiya decals LOOK great, but like you say, they are so thick and they break really easily, i cant imagine it would cost Tamiya much more to have someone like Microscale make their decals for them?

Thick hard to use decals seem to be a fault with Tamiya (although they get pretty much everything else right!).

I think the more recent releases have better quality decals, some by Cartograf I think? Would make sense given the quality of the rest of their kits.