Eduard 1/48 MIG-21SMT "Fishbed-K"

Hello all,

I'll be doing a MIG-21SMT as my entry for the GB.

2016-04-17%2018.04.55_zpsxrlkc8js.jpg

As you can see it's Eduard's weekend edition of the kit which, unfortunately, does not have decals for a GB legal aircraft. But, one desperate plea in the wanted section and Rob (RMP2) sprang to the rescue with the missing '09' required for the below scheme.

Behold!

8233-c.jpg

MiG-21SMT, Bort 09, 582 IAP, Chojna AB, Poland, Soviet AF late 80s...ish. They're a bit vague about the dates but this unit stopped using SMTs in 89' so it should be dandy.

I've also got an etch set to go with it. I know it's for an MF, but for the life of me I can't see the difference between the two sets and I'm 99% certain I'm going to leave the canopy closed and 100% certain that I don't really care if there are any differences regardless as it saves me having to do the IP m'self.

Like many of my builds, this one will have a few firsts. In this case:

• First aircraft without whirly things (or thing) on the front
  • First 48th scale model

These lists are getting shorter and shorter, which can only be a good thing and should see confidence and experience grow I should hope.

I was going to put down 'First use of etch' before I remembered my Blenheim's seat belts. But this is self adhesive stuff so...a-hah!

• First use of self adhesive, pre-coloured etch.

I win. And in this case I really do as the etch that comes with the posh, show-offy, premium Profipack edition only comes with a little fret with the IP and a couple of other bits whereas for a whole three Great British Poundoolies for the Zoom set I got a whole fret of stuff I'm mostly not going to use. Spiffy.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep myself to one build at a time at the moment so I'm not sure when I'm actually going to start but I thought I'd save my place at the bar anyway.

Eyes on my pint, I'll see you in a bit.

Toodles,

Paul

• Like 6

Always happy to see another MiG-21 getting built. There's plenty going on in that camouflage scheme to keep you busy once it gets to that stage.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.... I send you the 09 decals you wanted only to find you end up taking part in this and then to find I need the 09 decals so I can take part in this and then we both end up taking part in this building the same fecking plane at the same fecking time in the same fecking GB?!?!

What is going on?

Anyone got an "08" or "10" going spare... :)

Good luck, man, hopefully we wont end up with the same weapons is all I can say!

Ha. The 21 is my back-up/second build plan if I find time. Theres plenty more stuff here I can go at instead - good fun to watch you struggle with that multi-multi colour camo while I sit back and relax.... :D

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.... I send you the 09 decals you wanted only to find you end up taking part in this and then to find I need the 09 decals so I can take part in this and then we both end up taking part in this building the same fecking plane at the same fecking time in the same fecking GB?!?!

What is going on?

Good luck, man, hopefully we wont end up with the same weapons is all I can say!

Ha. The 21 is my back-up/second build plan if I find time. Theres plenty more stuff here I can go at instead - good fun to watch you struggle with that multi-multi colour camo while I sit back and relax.... :D

Turn the 9 around and do 06 ;)

• Like 3

Always happy to see another MiG-21 getting built. There's plenty going on in that camouflage scheme to keep you busy once it gets to that stage.

Don't remind me. I'm having trouble enough just finding the right paints. I'm ignoring how I'm going to actually pull it off until I get to that point.

What is going on?

Well, that's the long and fecking short of it yes :)

Anyway, listen to the man below. He speaks truth.

Pure genius.

The decals arrived today, must thank the Good Samaritan as well as check an 06 existed, yknow what them sneaky Russians can be like... ;) More likely than a "60" or a "90" eh?

Paints - Yea... just go for what you reckon is about right and fade the buggery out of it. Cant go wrong, they all looked bloomin rough at some point or other. :) Thats my plan anyway...

• Like 2

Paints - Yea... just go for what you reckon is about right and fade the buggery out of it. Cant go wrong, they all looked bloomin rough at some point or other. :) Thats my plan anyway...

That's the plan. I'll see if I can get the colour matches for the Mr Hobby paints and if not I'll just buy the colours required. The light grey/green looks like RLM02 or JA Grey could work. The darker brown could have NATO brown as a substitute and the lighter version looks like Tamiya Flat Earth may suffice. As for the darker green, well, it looks close enough to RAF dark green to me.

It's the cockpit colour that's throwing me though. I have Mr Hobby H46 emerald green but it's a bit dark. I guess I'll just play around with adding more and more white until I get the right shade to match the etch.

Anyway, I'll have a play but I think if I use the colours I've picked out there (and add a lot more talent) it should come out looking something like the below (model and pictures Francois Wurtz, used without permission)

8233-eduard-mig-21smt-1-48-francois-wurt

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. :popcorn:

Cheers Stix. You throwing your hat into the ring? Might be able to do your first Jet...

In other news I just bought AKAN USSR Air Forces (1978-1989) off of eBay for 17 squids including postage from HK. I would have bought them from Coastal Craft but apparently he only accepts cheques and I've not had a cheque book in over a decade. The only colour missing from the set is the green for the dialectric panels but I already have a suitable colour in the form of Mr. Hobby H26.

Cheers Stix. You throwing your hat into the ring? Might be able to do your first Jet...

In other news I just bought AKAN USSR Air Forces (1978-1989) off of eBay for 17 squids including postage from HK. I would have bought them from Coastal Craft but apparently he only accepts cheques and I've not had a cheque book in over a decade. The only colour missing from the set is the green for the dialectric panels but I already have a suitable colour in the form of Mr. Hobby H26.

Paint set 47314? I looked at that, but saw there was also a dark green missing for the camo... unless my eyes are doing odd things? Its happened before...

Fingers crossed the RAF Dark Green is close enough. That and you paint yours before I paint mine. :D

Paint set 47314? I looked at that, but saw there was also a dark green missing for the camo... unless my eyes are doing odd things? Its happened before...

Fingers crossed the RAF Dark Green is close enough. That and you paint yours before I paint mine. :D

It comes with the following:

• 73023 Gray-Blue (underside)
  • 73006 Emerald Green (cockpit)
  • 73099 Green
  • 73096 Beige
  • 73097 Sand
  • 73098 Brown

73069 Beige is the lighter green I think...I'll find out when it turns up I think. If not I have 10 other shades of green that would probably work so it's not a drama.

• Like 1

Looking forward to following this build.

I'm also building one of these with all the same firsts as you. Think I'm going to go with Akan paints to.

James

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hola,

Unfortunately I've not done much (anything actually) recently and will not be able to until sometime in mid June as my combined work and education workload is crushing at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul

Sorry to hear that Paul but one good thing about our hobby is it sits and waits for us to return at our leisure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I see you've got hold of the AKAN set which includes the cockpit colour, if it's not such a perfect match you can try a 50/50 mix of H46 and Tamiya X14 sky blue which hits the mark spot on.

Good luck with your build,

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I see you've got hold of the AKAN set which includes the cockpit colour, if it's not such a perfect match you can try a 50/50 mix of H46 and Tamiya X14 sky blue which hits the mark spot on.

Good luck with your build,

Cheers.

Thanks Mike. If I ever actually get round to starting this build ( :weep: ) I'll keep that in mind.

I have started a Mig-21 using Akan paints. Not sure if I have the normal or faded Cockpit Green but it was a perfect match to the Eduard Etch. Will check tonight.

Just got home and mine is the 73005 Emerald Green not the faded version

Edited by Skids