Saab JAS-39 C Gripen, 1:48 Kittyhawk

Kittyhawks amazing scale 48 Gripen

It has been written a lot about Kittyhawks Gripen kit. Unfortunately, also of a lot of negative by which a wrong picture originates from this, actually, nice kit.
One finds a really good one and one of the best Reviews I could explore, here:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941002-jas-39ac-gripen-148-kitty-hawk/?hl=%2Bsaab+%2Bgripen+%2Bkittyhawk

It is a kit of the new generation, with the quite normal positive and negative points like all other new kits also. In the construction report I will mention the really relevant small mistakes I discovered.

I have used the following books as references:
Saab Gripen, Author: Gerard Keijsper
JAS-39 Gripen Swedish Multirole Fighter, Author: Slavomir Goldemund
Saab JAS 39 Gripen colours & markings, Author: Michal Ovčáčík, Karel Susa

How with most kits for different versions are intended, should one not work strictly after constructriction manual. As by the construction of Ju 88 of Dragon, or by the construction of the Mosquito wings with separate wingtips of Tamiya, one must deviate from the construction manual to avoid unnecessary repairs.
Also with the Gripen one should stick together the fuselage halves separately.

DSCN6258.jpg

As one can see, I have already cut out behind the cockpit the cover of the pressuration/air-conditioning unit.

DSCN6262.jpg

I can recommend the cockpit of Aires very much. The details are not only fine but also perfectly faithful. The seat belts are added as photoetched parts. On heating up the photoetched parts, the seatbelts can be brought very well in form.

DSCN6269.jpg

DSCN6279.jpg

DSCN6265.jpg

The avionic bays of Aires which should be accommodated later behind the fuselage nose. I like the bright colours with those the modern airplanes nowadays are painted.

DSCN6282.jpg

Please, do not surprise. . . .but I never work really strictly after construction manuals. Mostly I build complete sub-groups sometime occasionally. According to mood. . .
as well as with the weapons.
The Maverick missiles are from Eduard. Actually, already a model in the model. Two elegant and slender Iris-T missiles from the kit, got a 1mm light lens (AK-Interactive) in the nose built-in.
And here is the first however small mistake which I found in the kit. There is only one anti-ship missile RB15S in the kit (but rather one, than none).

DSCN6296.jpg

Before fuselage halves are clued together, must be still built the inflight refueling pipe,the undercarriage and airbrake bays.

DSCN6288.jpg

In the meantime, fuselage halves have been glued, and the pressuration/air-conditioning unit have been built up from plastic sheet. One finds high-class photos in the second book of my abovementioned book list.

DSCN6305.jpg

DSCN6329.jpg

DSCN6332.jpg

Edited by Sarcococca
  • Like 20

Just beautiful work.

Sarcococca, could you tell something about fitting this Aires cockpit inside the hull?

How much is necessary to sand it before you can close the hull?

Hi Solo,

the installation of that Aires Cockpit is as usual to pay with some additional work and the right quantity of patience :).

One must thin out the fuselage sidewalls approx. 1mm, and you are on the sure side if you also sand down the Aires cockpit on the left and on the right, as far as as possible. In addition, it is important to sanding the rear bulkhead of the Aires part so thinly as possible. More than I did!! Please compare with picture 3-5.

I have left more material, because I needed it for the construction of the air-conditioning unit behind the cockpit.
As for all detail sets also is valid here, dry fit......so often as possible.
Greetings Dirk
  • Like 1

Hi Solo,

the installation of that Aires Cockpit is as usual to pay with some additional work and the right quantity of patience :).

One must thin out the fuselage sidewalls approx. 1mm, and you are on the sure side if you also sand down the Aires cockpit on the left and on the right, as far as as possible. In addition, it is important to sanding the rear bulkhead of the Aires part so thinly as possible. More than I did!! Please compare with picture 3-5.

I have left more material, because I needed it for the construction of the air-conditioning unit behind the cockpit.
As for all detail sets also is valid here, dry fit......so often as possible.
Greetings Dirk

I have built this with the Aires pit as well.

But I didn't find it necessary to grind down very much plastic. Fitted almost without any modifications to the parts (except for the coaming obviously that need removing)

The biggest issue I had was to get the Aires cockpit and NLG to fit together.

/Johan

• Like 1

I have built this with the Aires pit as well.

But I didn't find it necessary to grind down very much plastic. Fitted almost without any modifications to the parts (except for the coaming obviously that need removing)

The biggest issue I had was to get the Aires cockpit and NLG to fit together.

/Johan

Hi Johan,

many thanks for your complementary comment. I agree to you. Above all your remark about the problems of cockpit and NFG assembly. I have forgotten this to mention, and it is really the biggest problem.

I have removed a lot of plastic of both fuselage halves, what is maybe owed because I`ve also inserted the Aires avionik bays.

Gripen, 2. part

Thx for all your nice compliments.

The Kittyhawk APU Unit inserted into the left fuselage halve. This are very nice detailed kitparts, and only small additional refinements were made.
I`ve fixed the upper wings meanwhile, to prevent unnecessary gaps on the wing fuselage connection.

DSCN6335.jpg

Left fuselage side with built-in avionic bay from Aires.

DSCN6337.jpg

Kit part E7 fits nearly perfect, only a gap had to be closed around the Aires wheel well.

DSCN6339.jpg

DSCN6342.jpg

The airinlet FOD`s are made out of "Aves Apoxie Sculpt".

DSCN6367.jpg

The missing rivets in the rear were complemented with Rivet Detail Decals of "Micro Mark", available in three different scales.

DSCN6375.jpg

The finished main wheel well`s from Aires. I`ve used for most interior surfaces Aeromasters Overall Grey.

DSCN6383.jpg

DSCN6381.jpg

DSCN6386.jpg

Funny enough the Strut scissors at the Main landing gear are absent in the kit. Thus, then that one must build himself.
The small Stencil Decals on ready painted landing gears come from airscale.

DSCN6390.jpg

DSCN6432.jpg

DSCN6438.jpg

There is on the left and on the right below the Canards, in each case a small air nozzle, don`t know which purpose they have. Here still unpainted.

DSCN6410.jpg

And finally a few other ready painted things. :)

DSCN6417.jpg

DSCN6413.jpg

DSCN6424.jpg

Bye for now

Dirk

• Like 8

This is fantastic work.

:goodjob:

Whish I thought of assembling the kit the way you do, seems so much easier then following the instructions.

I'll remember this when it's time to build the two seater.

/Johan