Not a fan of NATO aircraft Tank-Mania 1/48 SA-4 Ganef

A rather more ambitious entry for this group build as my second entry.

tumblr_o5rxjsEjAz1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Pawel's first offering is a rather lovely resin kit with a small etch fret and parts breakdown like a styrene mainstream kit. Casting is excellent with a few pieces slightly warped after being in my Dad's loft for a while now. The detail is very good which is just as well considering I can't find much reference material.

The kit has the long nose 9M8M1 8.8M long which I may cut down to the 8.3M 9M8M2 short nose which was more rounded in profile. A battery has four launchers two carrying each missile although some launchers carried one of each. The short nose version had a lower minimum engagement height at the expense of maximum range. I've had to face worse choices.... I also need to fudge the numerous and prominent missile maintenance markings.

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind comments People. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

One session of bench time has got me started nicely as you can see...

tumblr_o5vq9uZQQt1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

The upper and lower hull are cleaned up (about twenty minutes work) and joined with my trusty araldite (other glue is available). The lower rear hull had a few air bubbles where the casting block was removed. No worries a piece of plastic card and a small amount of P38 dealt with that. The two main launcher parts are cleaned and straightened in hot water. They clip together with a locating peg at the front. One tiny air bubble filled with resin dust and superglue (two minutes). I'm pretty certain that the bent bits are down to inappropriate storage conditions NOT as a result of poor quality.

tumblr_o5vq9uZQQt1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Here's the top hull showing a filler free joint to the lower hull. It fits better than most plastic kits! About five minutes to clean tiny mould seams and square the front cutouts in the mudguards saw a hassle free fit. The two launcher pieces are clipped together to show the alignment.

tumblr_o5vq9uZQQt1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

Here's the launcher opened up so the locating pip can be seen. I'll be showing mine in launch configuration so the detail doesn't get lost.

tumblr_o5vq9uZQQt1t8blhlo4_1280.jpg

The only issue I've found is that one of the missile nose tips is broken off and not in the packaging (which is generally superb) however there were two types of missile and a launcher could carry one of each. So that is resolved. Note that the intake and exhaust covers were fitted to the missile with the intake cover being jettisoned immediately before launch followed by the exhaust cover. Which is a big relief!!!

I've found some good walk-rounds at the Russian Dish Model site HERE

The kit instructions are a series of assembly photographs with part numbers indicated keyed to a parts diagram. The photos should make things clearer although I don't see too much detail having to be added at this stage.

Now I have three assemblies to work on; hull, launcher assembly and the missiles which may make sorting the parts out easier....he says hopefully. :winkgrin:

• Like 5

The parts certainly look to be full of detail and well moulded.

They certainly are. A very few tiny bubbles but any flash is so thin it falls away with the lightest of touch. It is a plastic kit made of resin. Pawel is a perfectionist and it shows. He also does 35th see HERE.

I have got a set of decals coming from Tank Mania Thanks Pawel! which is a big relief. I've also got the running gear prepared and ready to assemble. Slight fly in the ointment is the frame that secures the missiles in transit. Very badly warped because of my stupidity storing it in my Dad's attic. I have tried to straighten it with limited success and wasn't looking forward to building a replacement :weep: then I had a discussion with Shermaniac who suggested using the kit connecting sections and replacing the straight tubes connecting them. TOP BLOKE! :yahoo:

So Sunday he's collecting some Albion Alloys tube at Milton Keynes for me. Regrettably I have to work :poo:

• Like 2

They certainly are. A very few tiny bubbles but any flash is so thin it falls away with the lightest of touch. It is a plastic kit made of resin. Pawel is a perfectionist and it shows. He also does 35th see HERE.

I have got a set of decals coming from Tank Mania Thanks Pawel! which is a big relief. I've also got the running gear prepared and ready to assemble. Slight fly in the ointment is the frame that secures the missiles in transit. Very badly warped because of my stupidity storing it in my Dad's attic. I have tried to straighten it with limited success and wasn't looking forward to building a replacement :weep: then I had a discussion with Shermaniac who suggested using the kit connecting sections and replacing the straight tubes connecting them. TOP BLOKE! :yahoo:

So Sunday he's collecting some Albion Alloys tube at Milton Keynes for me. Regrettably I have to work :poo:

Collected and supplied as requested, happy to help out!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick image free update. The running gear is cleaned and part painted (three times until I got to Humbrol 116 that works as paint should). The decals have arrived from Pawel. I'm well along with preparing the missile parts for assembly. I'm now scratching a new transit support frame as I can't get an exact match to the kit connections so my pipe-fitting experience is getting a good work out.

I've had to separate the hull halves though as they were twisted and I didn't spot it until I was fitting the road wheel arms. The good news is that I can make a better mount for the missile launcher assembly to ease storage and transport issues. Again I'm sure the twisting was a storage issue on my part. I've just received Pawel's T-55 which is straight and true (and stored safely here!)