70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

no I have to be good next year, I've got quite a few Whif's I want to finish or even start! Was just looking over my newly acquired 1/48th F-107A, it's sooo yummy, that's gone start to the top of the pile of new builds!

This will definitely be one of them, and others, well now sure. Looking at the current votes may be one other, that'll still give me 7 GB's for the year including STGB's

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm actually starting to put some consideration into doing a floaty thingy.  :banghead:

CLG-7 USS Springfield : 6th Fleet flagship (Med) from 1970-73.  This ship is of particular significance to me as my old man served on her during this timeframe.

Just have to decide if I want to swallow the pill ($$) and if I really want to take on a resin kit.

• Like 3

Started looking at options for this. Very high on my to-do list is a Norwegian Starfighter, that would fit perfectly. However with an F-104 STGB in the near future I may keep this model for the STGB and find something else. An RAF Germany Phantom from one of the strike units would be quite nice, and a good way to build one of the Fujimi kits before they are made obsolete by the recently announced Airfix FG.1.

I'm also tempted by an F-86K or an RF-84F, really 1950s machines that however flew into the early '70s in some NATO air forces. And of course there's that Matchbox G.91Y that I should start at some point...

Much easier to find a subject from the opposition: the A-Model Yak-27 is very high on my list and IIRC comes with decals for an East Germany based aircraft

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Dates are confirmed as 4 Feb 2017 to 4 Jun 2017.

Woohoo! :yahoo:

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ace, not long to go, though even less time to track down that hasegawa spock.......

Good luck Stu. I've not seen one of those kits in about 20 years.

18 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm actually starting to put some consideration into doing a floaty thingy.  :banghead:

CLG-7 USS Springfield : 6th Fleet flagship (Med) from 1970-73.  This ship is of particular significance to me as my old man served on her during this timeframe.

Just have to decide if I want to swallow the pill ($$) and if I really want to take on a resin kit.

Sounds a worth-while project. A labour of love even. How big a pill are you talking?

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm in for this group build. I'm sure I have plenty of stuff in the stash that is suitable. If nothing else, this will get me to build one of my Eduard MiG-21s.

We need at least one MiG-21 in this GB :D

16 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I guess a Portuguese (NATO member) AT-6G used in Angola won't cut it for this GB?

Cheers, Peter

An interesting and worthy subject Peter but alas outwith our geographic area :( 

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Started looking at options for this. Very high on my to-do list is a Norwegian Starfighter, that would fit perfectly. However with an F-104 STGB in the near future I may keep this model for the STGB and find something else. An RAF Germany Phantom from one of the strike units would be quite nice, and a good way to build one of the Fujimi kits before they are made obsolete by the recently announced Airfix FG.1.

I'm also tempted by an F-86K or an RF-84F, really 1950s machines that however flew into the early '70s in some NATO air forces. And of course there's that Matchbox G.91Y that I should start at some point...

Much easier to find a subject from the opposition: the A-Model Yak-27 is very high on my list and IIRC comes with decals for an East Germany based aircraft

Some cracking NATO options there Giorgio with the G.91Y getting my vote until you said Yak-27 :heart: I've heard the A-Model kit takes some, shall we say, 'peruasion' to go together but what a result it'll be.

9 hours ago, Pin said:

968553-12544-63-pristine.jpg

Yes! Yes please :Tasty:

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Sounds a worth-while project. A labour of love even. How big a pill are you talking?

Around $75 +shipping from one place I found.  Drop in the bucket for some, but definitely more than I will typically consider spending.  If it wasn't for the particular subject matter, I likely wouldn't even consider it at that price-point, with ships not exactly my forte.  

Realistically, it's not a horrible price considering the finer details on this kit compared to the almost impossible to find 1/500 Renwal/Revell kit.  The R/R kit is from the '60s and it shows.  Still a very workable kit...but a lot more time would be sunk into scratching details and part manipulation.

• Like 1

Hmm, so I just went and did another search on Ebay.....and now there are several of the Renwal/Revell kits available for around $25 shipped.  May have to take advantage of that.  The last few times I've looked they were either unavailable or were $50-70 anyways.  :hmmm:

9 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Around $75 +shipping from one place I found.  Drop in the bucket for some, but definitely more than I will typically consider spending.  If it wasn't for the particular subject matter, I likely wouldn't even consider it at that price-point, with ships not exactly my forte.  

Realistically, it's not a horrible price considering the finer details on this kit compared to the almost impossible to find 1/500 Renwal/Revell kit.  The R/R kit is from the '60s and it shows.  Still a very workable kit...but a lot more time would be sunk into scratching details and part manipulation.

Ouch! Although for what I'm guessing is a fairly short-run subject and in comparison to some of the new larger scale aircraft kits such as the Special Hobby and Tamiya 32nd scale kits it's not so ridiculous.

How basic are the Revell/Renwal kits?

2 minutes ago, Pin said:

Hmmmm, I have doubts that Yak-27 could qualify, it is likely that it was withdrawn from service by 1970

I think they lasted in service until the late 70's :) 

20 minutes ago, Col. said:

Ouch! Although for what I'm guessing is a fairly short-run subject and in comparison to some of the new larger scale aircraft kits such as the Special Hobby and Tamiya 32nd scale kits it's not so ridiculous.

How basic are the Revell/Renwal kits?

I'm assuming the Niko kit is relatively short run as well being a full resin / PE kit.  A lot more detail, even though it's a smaller scale.  Of particular note are the handrails & array towers.  Those would almost "have" to be scratched for my satisfaction after seeing the Niko kit.

And I figured out why there are all of a sudden a ton of the Revell/Renwall kits available...turns out Revell did a limited re-release of the kit this fall.  What timing!  :D

Revell/Renwall

31285530416_267d7d4739_z.jpg

Niko

31285531036_037d4349e1_z.jpg

Edit: Noticing the huge disparity in the superstructures...the Revell/Renwall isn't even close to the CLG configuration after looking at some pics.  They just took the WW2 Cruiser, threw a Terrier rack on the aft deck, and called it a Guided-missile Cruiser.  So looks like I'm back to the Niko resin kit.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I think I will build the Revell Leopard 1 from the Dutch Army.

Cheers,

Good :D I've always thought the Leopard was a very capable tank from what little I knew of them.

6 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'm assuming the Niko kit is relatively short run as well being a full resin / PE kit.  A lot more detail, even though it's a smaller scale.  Of particular note are the handrails & array towers.  Those would almost "have" to be scratched for my satisfaction after seeing the Niko kit.

And I figured out why there are all of a sudden a ton of the Revell/Renwall kits available...turns out Revell did a limited re-release of the kit this fall.  What timing!  :D

Revell/Renwall

31285530416_267d7d4739_z.jpg

Niko

31285531036_037d4349e1_z.jpg

Hard to credit that's two kits of the same subject. Might go some way to explain the price difference.

4 minutes ago, Pin said:

I checked. The interceptor version was withdrawn in 1970, the reconaissance (Yak-27R) in 1972

Within our subject timescale then. Thank you for checking :) 

• Like 1

Checked myself just to be sure and found the same date of 1972 for the withdrawal of the Yak-27R, that is the one I have. I know these early Amodel kits are not the easiest but the subject is intriguing. The problem will be to find an aircraft in service after 1970.... worst case, I'll build a Yak.28 bomber, again from Amodel

• Like 1

What was France's status within NATO at this time, I'm always a bit hazy on this but in my head, whilst they weren't part of the command structure their forces were committed to NATO, can somebody confirm?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Checked myself just to be sure and found the same date of 1972 for the withdrawal of the Yak-27R, that is the one I have. I know these early Amodel kits are not the easiest but the subject is intriguing. The problem will be to find an aircraft in service after 1970.... worst case, I'll build a Yak.28 bomber, again from Amodel

Either a 27R or a 28 will be most welcome by me Giorgio but if you can find a 27R that was likely to have been in service during the 70's I'l be happy to see you build it.

2 minutes ago, Wez said:

What was France's status within NATO at this time, I'm always a bit hazy on this but in my head, whilst they weren't part of the command structure their forces were committed to NATO, can somebody confirm?

Given the ambiguous circumstances (which is my way of saying I'm not certain either way) I'm happy to see French subjects within this GB.

13 minutes ago, Wez said:

Looks like they left NATO in 1966, and didn't fully rejoin until 2009.  They did begin participating with NATO in operations beginning in the early '90s.  Though while not part of the integrated NATO military command, they were much more aligned/allied w/ NATO than they were a neutral country throughout the Cold War.  

http://www.rpfrance-otan.org/France-and-NATO

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

Thanks Col, unfortunately having checked the timing of this GB I'm unlikely to be able to participate due to my studies - which is a shame 'cos I was thinking of either a French F-100 or a Super Mystere :(

Thanks too to Chris for re-acquainting me with France's NATO status.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Looks like they left NATO in 1966, and didn't fully rejoin until 2009.  They did begin participating with NATO in operations beginning in the early '90s.  Though while not part of the integrated NATO military command, they were much more aligned/allied w/ NATO than they were a neutral country throughout the Cold War.  

http://www.rpfrance-otan.org/France-and-NATO

Thank you Chris. So there you have it gang; the official line on France and its relationship with NATO during our timescale. As I said before, and as was the case with the 80's edition, French subjects are permited :) 

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Col, unfortunately having checked the timing of this GB I'm unlikely to be able to participate due to my studies - which is a shame 'cos I was thinking of either a French F-100 or a Super Mystere :(

Thanks too to Chris for re-acquainting me with France's NATO status.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that Wez. Either subject would have been rather cool. Good luck with your studies.

• Like 1