70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm, last year for the 80's GB I accidentally built a 1970's a/c, seems right if I do an 80's build now, obs not for the gallery, but mind if goes alongside my jaguar when I post a thread for it? 

If it happens to be accompanying your Jag in a couple of the photos and is related to it in some way I'm sure none of us will object ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

If it happens to be accompanying your Jag in a couple of the photos and is related to it in some way I'm sure none of us will object ;) 

Ace, now to decide if I'll take the easy route and buy the whole kit, or salvaging the essential bits I need from one of early my builds which is due a retiring as I have the rest of the kit in the spares box....

Is there where to ask questions about my build?

I'm doing the Type 21 frigate. The question is, would a Wasp or a Lynx be the right helo for 70s? I looked on various sites but seems like Lynx, though flying by the 70s, was not operational until 1981.

Does anyone know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

Is there where to ask questions about my build?

I'm doing the Type 21 frigate. The question is, would a Wasp or a Lynx be the right helo for 70s? I looked on various sites but seems like Lynx, though flying by the 70s, was not operational until 1981.

Does anyone know?

I'd say you're on safe ground with the Wasp but there are a couple of ex-navy guys working on things in the Work in Progress section of the main forum who will know for sure.

• Like 1

The naval Lynx didn't become operational until I believe 1981 with 815 Sqn, it was flying with 702 Sqn from 1978 (I think) for training and I'm sure landing on frigates was part of that training but for a properly operational machine i think you would be safer to go with Col's suggestion of the Wasp.

Craig.

hmmm target practice for my OSA!!!  :D

would be nice to see another naval vessel in the build.

Gosh wasn't the Type 21 vs OSA's one of the first missions/scenarios in the original PC game Harpoon? I wish you could still get it....well actually get it to run on my Macbook Pro, would be a fun way to spend free time on my trip!

Thanks - I looked around for the Wasp that (I thought) came with the old Airfix Leander kit but no luck. So I'll go with a bare flight deck on the assumption the Wasp is out there pinging away for a Soviet sub...and hasn't been shot down...:think:

• Like 2

Yep, decals for USAFE F-4es are rare as rocking horse doodoo, yet alone ones from the 70s specifically, if you want to do a Spock best make it an D or an early Recon version, those decals are a much more available 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sven_ss said:

Hello

I would like to participate with a Romanian MiG-15UTI. This type was in active service until 1992.

TY

By all means please do :) 

So gang, a while ago I mentioned doing a 60s edition of our GB, who would be up for joining in with me for another round of all this fun but a decade earlier in the timeline?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Did any hard-wing (early non-slatted) F-4Es serve with the USAFE?

With your ProModeller kit, some creativity, an Xtradecal sheet and a Superscale sheet, you can do a Torrejon based F-4E like this one ^_^

Edit: nvm the previous edit.

Edited by Creepy Pete

1 hour ago, Creepy Pete said:

With your ProModeller kit, some creativity, an Xtradecal sheet and a Superscale sheet, you can do a Torrejon based F-4E like this one ^_^

Edit: nvm the previous edit.

How did you know I just got a Promodeler Phantom???

Which superscale sheet are you thinking of?