70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

6 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Here you go @Col.  To give you an idea of size, Olive my dog is 2.8kg and that's a two seater. I'm thinking about starting my MiG-25RBT (ICM 1/48th).....

28907696362_86360d187c_o.jpg 

Oh! That certainly does make for a large model. Always liked the An-22 but doubt I could justify the space required for that one :( 

Olive is a wee darling though. Proper puppy-dog eyes :wub:

As for the MiG-25RBT; by all means please do as I remember reading about them and various other types from both sides running a sort of reconnissance shuttle service up and down the East/West German border.

Edited by Col.

3 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Here you go @Col.  To give you an idea of size, Olive my dog is 2.8kg and that's a two seater. I'm thinking about starting my MiG-25RBT (ICM 1/48th).....

I think the MiG-25 would be a great idea. I could learn the pitfalls from your build and Ya-Gabor's thread. Seems like a result. :winkgrin::fool:

In my old place we had a sofa like that, two seater for humans or one cat!

• Like 1

Hi, I am wondering if it's too late to join in? This would be my first GB as the topic enticed me to be brave. I've been doing some unsuccessful research and searching for aircraft as was hoping for something Czechoslovak with NMF. Either a Czech MiG21 or Soviet Mig25 seems to be something I can get before kick off. I have a small stash. The last model my dad built with me when I was a boy I think was a MiG 25 so I'd do that, if it fits this brief? Super nervous..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Hi, I am wondering if it's too late to join in? This would be my first GB as the topic enticed me to be brave. I've been doing some unsuccessful research and searching for aircraft as was hoping for something Czechoslovak with NMF. Either a Czech MiG21 or Soviet Mig25 seems to be something I can get before kick off. I have a small stash. The last model my dad built with me when I was a boy I think was a MiG 25 so I'd do that, if it fits this brief? Super nervous..

You are most welcome to join in the fun Valkyrie and there's no need to be nervous. We're all here to have fun and help each other out :) 

This GB officially starts on the 4th of February so there's still a few days before we can all start butchering our various kits and anyone can join in at any point after that so don't feel you have be sitting beside your kit with scalpel poised on the stroke of midnight at 3rd Feb 23:59 GMT ;) 

The MiG-25 certainly does fit well within the GB so long as it was or was at least likely to be one based west of the Urals so yes by all means go with it. Which kit were you planning to use?

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Linked in a build thread but I thought you might want to look at THIS DAG058 has done a stunning job on his F.6 in RFI. I certainly feel a bit inadequate now....

Rather lovely isn't it. Don't often see the Lightning in green and grey disruptive camo but it certainly looks mean and purposeful. Sure you'd make a grand job of one with a little patience and effort ;) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Misterfriend said:

Think I'm going to jump in with the Airfix Harrier GR1, that Missus Friend got me as a little thank you gift. Not sure I've managed to complete a groupbuild in a while, fingers crossed I do this time! 

The new GR.1 kit is a lovely one and there's always room for more Harriers so far as I'm concerned :speak_cool:

• Like 1

Thanks for that Col. I will more than likely need help but I am really excited now. It is likely to be the Hasegawa kit as 1/72 kits seem difficult to get. I have only MiG15s in my stash. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks for that Col. I will more than likely need help but I am really excited now. It is likely to be the Hasegawa kit as 1/72 kits seem difficult to get. I have only MiG15s in my stash. 

The Hasegawa kit may not be an absolute pinnacle of accuracy but it looks like a MiG-25 and is a nice kit to put together. The Condor and ICM kits are more modern with a greater level of detail and accuracy but harder to get and more expensive as well as having considerable more involved construction. So yes by all means go with the Hasegawa 'Foxbat' and have some fun with it :) 

On 1/31/2017 at 7:01 AM, Col. said:

Hmm, no Phantom in this GB yet, sure there's always room for more Harriers though; they're small and don't need runways so hardly take up any space ;) 

I've got a Lakenheath D planned.  Stu & I will be working on building the squadron.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

The Hasegawa kit may not be an absolute pinnacle of accuracy but it looks like a MiG-25 and is a nice kit to put together. The Condor and ICM kits are more modern with a greater level of detail and accuracy but harder to get and more expensive as well as having considerable more involved construction. So yes by all means go with the Hasegawa 'Foxbat' and have some fun with it :) 

Searched the other brands you suggested Col. and plumped for the  Condor MiG-25D! Think I'm all set! Thanks again

• Like 1

Well im doing russian, the new 1/48 yak 28 firebar ,had a phone call on monday from mike at clifton curios to say its found its way from hong kong and I'm picking it up saturday , and it'll be straight to dfy fitting,going to be a complete alclad blowout,

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Well im doing russian, the new 1/48 yak 28 firebar ,had a phone call on monday from mike at clifton curios to say its found its way from hong kong and I'm picking it up saturday , and it'll be straight to dfy fitting,going to be a complete alclad blowout,

And I'll be collecting his other one the weekend after! I'm tempted but never done NMF before. I shall follow and learn.

Great choice IMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

And I'll be collecting his other one the weekend after! I'm tempted but never done NMF before. I shall follow and learn.

Great choice IMHO.

We'll  both be treading new ground then ,learning curve for me too haven't done a full aircraft in alclad before only parts,engine exaust, ect,looking forward too it though, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

We'll  both be treading new ground then ,learning curve for me too haven't done a full aircraft in alclad before only parts,engine exaust, ect,looking forward too it though, 

Best place to learn new stuff is in a GB I think. Plenty of advice and similar builds on the go.

I'm really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Best place to learn new stuff is in a GB I think. Plenty of advice and similar builds on the go.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Me too  I've got a harrier in 1/48 nearly finished that I'd been building along with the petis gris tractor I've had a wip for, so I'm probably going to get off to a slow start with the yak glynn

Three and a half hours to go before it all kicks off gang :) 

Let's see who's first up with an in-progress post after the start. Call it who gets the first shots off if you will ;) 

Edited by Col.

Right, time for some facts and figures;

At the moment there are 16 NATO subjects against 12 Warsaw Pact subjects.

In the air war NATO holds that numerical superiority most obviously with 14 subjects; the most common of which are the Harrier (3) & Phantom (3) with the Lightning in 3rd place (2). Warsaw Pact nations have only 4 subjects and half of those are MiG-21

On the ground war things are a little more balanced with 2 Nato subjects against 3 Warsaw Pact.

At sea, however, the WarPact has total domination with 5 subjects while NATO has nothing to show so far.

Let's see how it all pans out over the next few months :) 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Col. said:

Right, time for some facts and figures;

At the moment there are 16 NATO subjects against 12 Warsaw Pact subjects.

In the air war NATO holds that numerical superiority most obviously with 14 subjects; the most common of which are the Harrier (3) & Phantom (3) with the Lightning in 3rd place (2). Warsaw Pact nations have only 4 subjects and half of those are MiG-21

On the ground war things are a little more balanced with 2 Nato subjects against 3 Warsaw Pact.

At sea, however, the WarPact has total domination with 5 subjects while NATO has nothing to show so far.

Let's see how it all pans out over the next few months :) 

now i really wish I wasn't going away, I should have bought another couple of Sukhoi's along to the party!! Instead I have a funny wee vehicle that doesn't know which is the front or the back?  And I'm at work for the start of a GB as usual!!

• Like 2

On 01/02/2017 at 6:51 PM, SleeperService said:

Linked in a build thread but I thought you might want to look at THIS DAG058 has done a stunning job on his F.6 in RFI. I certainly feel a bit inadequate now....

Thanks SleeperService. I'm really looking forward to watching your build come together! I'm itching to start another Lightning but I'm holding off on starting anything prior to the DH GB.

• Like 1