70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

Well gang I've spent ages considering options and searching the stash along with all sorts of reference sources to draw up a (not so) short-list of kits. At various points in time said list has been topped by various aircraft kits including but by no way limited to a 1/48th Norwegian F-104 Starfighter, a 1/32nd Luftwaffe F-4F Phantom II, 72nd and 48th scale Harriers in various flavours, Hunters in every scale that kits are avilable, 1/48th MiG-21 and Su-15 and plenty others. At the moment, however, it's become narrowed down to two kits with little in common; Airfix 1/48th Buccaneer or Italeri 1/72nd An-2. Now the AN-2 looks fun and will be my first go at rigging a biplane but the Bucc... I've a good pile of references in the book stash and no less than 5 examples of the kit in the stash with plans to use at least 4 of them to illustrate the type's life at Lossiemouth with both Royal Navy and RAF so this seems as good a time as any to get that particular project going. Although the An-2 does look fun...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Im leaning towards the A-10 seeing as Harriers are a plenty all ready. But what scheme? I believe the two tone grey gave way to the charcoal lizard camo in 1979, so I have another decision to make now. Doh.

Save yourself the agonies of choice.  Do 'em both! :wicked:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Hmm, no Phantom in this GB yet, sure there's always room for more Harriers though; they're small and don't need runways so hardly take up any space ;) 

Sure a UK or German based A-10 will be a grand addition as well though.

Youre not wrong re the Harriers - Ive dry fitted and taped together the basic parts of a Hawk, Hunter and Harrier and the Harrier looks rather out of scale to be perfectly honest, I thought they were at least the size of a Hawk...? Perhaps its the dark plastic making illusions at me, dunno, looks weird though.

Opened the A-10 box and found the "Flipper & Peanut" schemes set in the box - forgot I was saving those for that and the NAW-10..... S'pose I could buy another but it wouldnt really fit into the "Cabinet Plan".

The LAG underside Hawk was only tested in those colours I believe - all service aircraft were full wrap camo unless Im mistaken?

French Jag is set for Chad colours & Martel (wrong colours for 70s), T2/T4 is going Nigerian, GR1 Jag is going Indian Agave...

F-104G is going Grey & White Marineflieger & resin Kormarans (wrong colours for 70s too I think).

MiG-29UB - I saw some nice, late two tone Ukraine colours that I quite fancy for this.

Su-24 basically scares me to death. Its huge and I wouldnt mind a few more kits under my belt before attacking that. Besides, I think Id have to lose the laser designator and bits for an early one and I really dont want to.

However....
TF-104G could do pretty much any colours, but was planning on Belgian SEA stylee camo which could work with maybe some napalm to make it a bit different?

One Phantom is set for Falklands markings, the other is one supposedly for eventual sale, but I do have rather a lot of spare BL755s and lots of RAFG decal options with it too..... Hmm, do I really need a total of 4 Phantoms?

MiG-21. Im only avoiding it because I want to use the 5 colour camo and I cant face the masking just yet.

Tricky.

BAF TF-104 w/napalm?

BL755 heavy, RWB roundelled FGR2?

MiG-21SMT? (with someone else masking it for me)

Stu - What are your Phantom plans? I was thinking a 2 Sqn secondary role with a shed load of cluster bombs. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

TF-104G could do pretty much any colours, but was planning on Belgian SEA stylee camo which could work with maybe some napalm to make it a bit different?

Or how about a bucket of instant sunshine?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Or how about a bucket of instant sunshine?

Ah, no centreline pylon on a TF, so not sure that would work, also not sure if the US gave any nukes to the Belgians. Oh hang on, the French probably gave them out like onions... what was I thinking?! ;)

Hey, wouldnt that sunshine bucket also apply to an RAFG Phantom? I know it did with the Jags that replaced them... bit of a Google coming up I think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Save yourself the agonies of choice.  Do 'em both! :wicked:

Knew you were going to say that :lol: 

4 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Youre not wrong re the Harriers - Ive dry fitted and taped together the basic parts of a Hawk, Hunter and Harrier and the Harrier looks rather out of scale to be perfectly honest, I thought they were at least the size of a Hawk...? Perhaps its the dark plastic making illusions at me, dunno, looks weird though.

Opened the A-10 box and found the "Flipper & Peanut" schemes set in the box - forgot I was saving those for that and the NAW-10..... S'pose I could buy another but it wouldnt really fit into the "Cabinet Plan".

The LAG underside Hawk was only tested in those colours I believe - all service aircraft were full wrap camo unless Im mistaken?

French Jag is set for Chad colours & Martel (wrong colours for 70s), T2/T4 is going Nigerian, GR1 Jag is going Indian Agave...

F-104G is going Grey & White Marineflieger & resin Kormarans (wrong colours for 70s too I think).

MiG-29UB - I saw some nice, late two tone Ukraine colours that I quite fancy for this.

Su-24 basically scares me to death. Its huge and I wouldnt mind a few more kits under my belt before attacking that. Besides, I think Id have to lose the laser designator and bits for an early one and I really dont want to.

However....

One Phantom is set for Falklands markings, the other is one supposedly for eventual sale, but I do have rather a lot of spare BL755s and lots of RAFG decal options with it too..... Hmm, do I really need a total of 4 Phantoms?

MiG-21. Im only avoiding it because I want to use the 5 colour camo and I cant face the masking just yet.

Tricky.

BAF TF-104 w/napalm?

BL755 heavy, RWB roundelled FGR2?

MiG-21SMT? (with someone else masking it for me)

I've always felt the Harrier had a similar design philosophy to the FW-190A; an engine, somewhere for the pilot to sit, then just enough other bits to make it fly.

I didn't know the LAG underside'ed Hawk was only a test scheme. Always thought it was a short-lived but nonetheless genuine front-line livery.

The dark grey/silver grey Marineflieger Starfighter are, I think, appropriate for this era if you want to have a crack at it.

The multi-coloured MiG-21 will be a challenge but I'm sure you'd ace it.

The BAF TF-104 tooled up with either napalm or nuke sounds great as does a RAF FGR-2 Toom.

Choice is yours sir.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

They certainly did.  Victor Alert was a designated role for Belgique F-104s.  

Really? Mind you, theyre a sneaky quite bunch them Belgians - pretty useful gun makers so they say.
Im not sure Id get away with a pair of them under the wings though, thats approaching a What-If and I cant see much of Belgium being left if it came to nikes via TFs!

Might have found a little bit on nuke FGR2s...

9 minutes ago, Col. said:

I didn't know the LAG underside'ed Hawk was only a test scheme. Always thought it was a short-lived but nonetheless genuine front-line livery.

The dark grey/silver grey Marineflieger Starfighter are, I think, appropriate for this era if you want to have a crack at it.

The multi-coloured MiG-21 will be a challenge but I'm sure you'd ace it.

From what I can gather re the Hawk LAG stuff, it was a high-temp climate test... must have involved more than just some paint Id imagine.

Oh, then Im leaning towards the Marineflieger 104 if we are talking about the same scheme - thought they were white below, like the Tornados?

Cheers, but it would be for a deadline.... Two tone camo does my nut in and Ive a load of those to do at some point and two to finish off! I will brave that MiG scheme at some point, I promise.

Im going to be all sensible and clear both the bench and the Shelf Of Doom before committing to anything. Quite fancy another Su-25 though.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Why?  No one else is round 'ere...  :D 

Well, I could pull the Exocet off my FG1, swap it for a B57, rig the previous build thread for it so its transparently a blag and cause uproar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Well, I could pull the Exocet off my FG1, swap it for a B57, rig the previous build thread for it so its transparently a blag and cause uproar?

There's bound to be at least one dummy spat clean out of a pram for that one :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Radleigh said:

Really want to join in, but I have no idea what... any suggestions welcome!

It's a pity you've assembled the An-22 or I'd have suggested that one. What's in your stash?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

I have a 1/72nd scale An-22.....

But, I have LOTS of Russian stuff...

That must be a massive model!?!

There's certainly a lack Russian stuff here so far. Are you thinking fast jet, transport, helocopter, or something else as a category?

Col

I assume a French Mirage IIIC from 1976 based at a Southern France air base counts?  I was slightly struggling to find anything relevant in my stash and then came across the Eduard Weekend Edition from last year.

Hope that is acceptable.

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

Col

I assume a French Mirage IIIC from 1976 based at a Southern France air base counts?  I was slightly struggling to find anything relevant in my stash and then came across the Eduard Weekend Edition from last year.

Hope that is acceptable.

Dave

It most certainly does Dave :thumbsup: